1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

15 People Who Annoy Me In The Gym

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by FreePrince, Jan 13, 2010.

1. FreePrince

FreePrince Active Member

Whoa...first i thought they were punk'ing that guy, then realized that's an actual rule!

As much as i dont enjoy hearing the excessive grunting, that's a bit much. It's like going to a gym in North Korea.

If anything, the worst noise i hear in my gym is the cheesy 70s music they keep playing over the speakers. jermaine jackson does not get me fired up to do max deadlifts.

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Well, not only can you not grunt at PF, or make any noise at all really ... but I've read that deadlifting is banned, as are standing overhead presses. The gym is so lame it is almost comical.

I can empathize with guy being upset at the stupid rules, but he did behave like a douche. Nobody forced him to join a gym with idiotic rules and a "lunk alarm".

More PF lameness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6OrO1f610

3. totalwise

totalwise Active Member

lol no deadlifts of overhead press allowed.. LOL, that's me out for 3 reasons I guess.

I'm in the UK so we dont have planet fitness, but there are other wussy gyms out there. I guess they're not in business to attract serious lifters, they're in the business to serve middled aged and fat people who want to excercise occasioanlly.

It's just purely there to make money.

about 80% of the people paying for the gym never actually go there. They sign up to 12 month contracts on a whim and never go for a full year, the 20% on the books are the ones who go to the gym day in day out. And planet fitness seems to want to annoy the fuck out of the 20% who do attend frequently..

SO when you piss off the regular clientele the gym looks more empty and you get more and more 12 month contract signups..

So you make more money in the long run..

They're not in the business to help people achieve their fitness goals, they're in the busines to make money.

4. AndiMAC

AndiMAC Well-Known Member

the stoo-nods I hate are the guys who come in wearing flip flops. The main offender is this one old guy. But today I saw a younger guy doing it.
    Oh and a good one was this older guy who would come in wearing bedroom slippers.

Oh and I hate, HATE people who use weights and don't put them back... :mad:

5. FreePrince

FreePrince Active Member

16.Messy Timmy

Messy Timmy doesnt put away his toys properly. He uses freeweights and like a fussy child, just throws them back on the rack any old place, out of order; 15lb weights next to 45lb'ers. So when you have to search for the weights you want, you look like a frustrated tourist in a vegas buffet line who cant seem to find anything he wants to eat.

6. kurent

kurent Active Member

My gym has alot of those messy Timmys. Monday morning is the worse. Weights are everywhere just laying around. I can't imagine what goes on over the weekend. Looks like some big guys too judging from the weights on the bars so I know why nobody wants to say anything haha.

7. MackenzieB

MackenzieB Active Member

Always good to see a cynic. Unfortunately, not everyone shares your fitness goals. In fact, most people don't. So why are you surprised to see a gym that doesn't cater to a minority? You don't get mad at other businesses not catering to you. It's like getting mad at burger king for not catering to vegans.

8. KoNcEpT61

KoNcEpT61 Active Member

grunting is okay, but i remember i heard one guy doing leg presses (maybe around 175-200lbs, not alot for legs) and he was just screaming, then yelled FUCK! at the end... just ridiculous

9. 3x_umar

3x_umar Active Member

freakin hilarious. :D

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I hate when people finish using equipment, they don't bother to take the weights off the barbell or the machines. You then don't know if somebody walked to the water fountain, or whatever, and therefore don't know if the equipment is being used or not.

11. KoNcEpT61

KoNcEpT61 Active Member

yeah no kidding. however sometimes i leave weights on the bar, but only if its something like a bench press, where most people are going to use at least one 45 on each side or something.

12. George

George Senior Member

I would still unload it. While I can "use at least one 45 on each side or something", I like to do a warm-up set with the bar. It keeps my shoulders happy.
    Also, as previously mentioned, leaving weight on the bar makes it look like someone is still using the bench.

Speaking of, someone had left the leg press loaded up on Thursday (as usual) and a very petite girl came up to me right after my last deadlift set and ask if I could take all of the 45's off of it for her. :lol:

13. kurent

kurent Active Member

Don't laugh, I sometimes feel like I did a set with unloading the weights and need to rest a bit. :lol:

14. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Most annoying person in the gym:-

Cellphone Cecil and Cecilia:- " Hi..yeh...I'm just about to do a set of lat pulldowns...what's that?....no,we went there last week....we're going to Boffo's tomorrow night....hang on for a sec, I gotta change the tension on this treadmill.....what's that?...no WAY I'm wearing that...did I tell you I bought some Gucci's?...WAIT 'TIL YOU SEE THESE...( on and on and on and on, while pedalling at the speed of a Galapogos Tortoise).

15. Human Clay

Human Clay Well-Known Member

Grunters don't bother me so much. It's okay to breathe hard and grunt a bit. It's when one sounds X-Rated and/or I feel compelled to yell "More fibre!" at them because they're loudly straining like it's the most difficult s*** of their lives, that's when it bugs me. Mostly it distracts me during a set because I'm trying my damnest not to burst out laughing.

I'm really not a fan of people just leaving the weights lying all over the gym. My mother recently told me of how, if the guys using the weights won't put them away, usually someone else will help her to put away the tripping hazards/find weights that have wandered off for her. I think more gyms need to hire someone like my mom. She does the "guilting mother" expression SO well.

Also not a fan of the bar fly, and similar. I've seen people monopolize a specific, commonly used piece of equipment for 20-30 minutes, sometimes with a ridiculously minuscule about of weight. Someone needs to tell them that there's a place for doing 30 minutes of a repetitive motion with minimal resistance: the cardio floor.

Others are more amusing than annoying, as they don't interfere with my ability to do my own workout. There's this one guy at my gym whom I frequently see on a treadmill, flailing his arms about randomly like he's swatting flies. I guess swinging his arms like everyone else got boring:lol:

16. ohaistranger

ohaistranger Active Member

I just became a member at the gym my sister goes to. I hope no one there minds that my eyes tend to wander so I look around a lot. Exercising is so awkward for me. :o

17. FreePrince

FreePrince Active Member

17.Sweatbox

Hey, I like sweat in the gym. I'm all for leaving the place with that glorious wet U shape on the shirt and a face that makes it look like I slept in a sauna. It's like a badge of gym honor. But remember, those paper towel racks and disinfectant sprays are there for a reason! The sweatbox leaves a machine covered in sweat like a dog marking his territory without wiping it down. I dont want to have to clean up after others like a guy doing community service in a hospital.

18. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

God BLESS the Paris Hiltons of the gym!!

Nothing turns me into the alpha male and makes me push harder, faster than some smoking little woman with a great body doing her thing.

One lady in my gym is a prime example. Only she's actually working out! But man what SHORT, TIGHT shorts. What NICE, TONED and TAN legs.... Oh the things I would do... /drool

19. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

The spitter:

I hate, hate, HATE this guy. I hate bending down over the drinking fountain only to have my face three inches away from some disgusting, bloody, snot-filled loogie that some asshole hawked into the fountain. For god's sake people, don't fucking spit in damned fountain. :mad:

20. Human Clay

Human Clay Well-Known Member

Smokin and toned? Time to choose a different celebrity as reference. Paris Hilton is neither of those things:lol::D

I think I've pinpointed just the right description of one of the funniest sounding guys at my gym. His 'prelude to a hernia' noise is like a collie with hiccups: very short barks from a mid-sized canine.