1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

100 Days Of Summer Challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by phillydude, May 28, 2010.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    So I was looking at the calendar, planning out how I was structure my workouts over the summer, and noticed that there are exactly 100 days between Memorial Day (starting on Tuesday June 1) and my birthday on September 9 (ending on September 8). So of course, that got me started thinking about continuing the "Spring Training" Challenge through the next few months.

I know I have my schedule planned out... I'll be using a new nutrition plan, a new weight training program, and a modified running and cycling schedule in which I'll be on the road with my son every step of the way as we prepare for the LiveSTRONG Challenge events in August (after which, I will move into more aggressive training for my fall marathons).

I'm also going to give the push-up/sit-up challenge another attempt this summer... perhaps this will be the year I finish that program. And while I certainly have an idea where I'd like to be in terms of weight and body fat by the end of the summer, I'm not going to focus on achieving a specific set of numbers this time around. I know that if I stay true to the program I will achieve those goals.

So here's my challenge to you: How are YOU going to spend the 100 Days Of Summer? Put it in writing and post up by the end of Memorial Day Weekend... and good luck to all!

2. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

i'm in on this, i need to keep the momentum going and get to the goals i set for spring. but i want to think about it some before i post a new set of goals.

3. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

I am in. I have a couple of ideas in terms of goals and I'll post them here by tomorrow evening.

4. Wrenn

Wrenn Active Member

I'm going to join in on this. Coincidentally my birthday is Sept 10, and since I started cutting in January that has been my main goal date with the aim of getting down to 90-95kg.

GOAL 1: Cut as close to 90kg as I can. Currently ~105.5kg.
    GOAL 2a: Complete a half marathon.
    GOAL 2b: Do the half marathon in under 2 hours.

I won't get to 90kg in the time I have left, but I'll try and get as close as I can. I will be happy if I reach 95kg.

I started training for a half marathon earlier in the year and put it off for a triathlon instead. Then I was going to do the Adelaide Half Marathon in August but that now clashes with my snowboarding/XC skiing trip. Instead, I'll do the 12 weeks training I had planned and do the run by myself at the end of August.

5. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Very cool! Welcome aboard!

6. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

100 Days of Consistency

I like this, so I'm using it as the theme of my personal challenge.

There are exactly fourteen weeks from June 1st to my birthday (September 7th - huzzah for September birthdays).

Each week I will:
    1. Log everything I eat - every day
    2. Lift weights - three times
    3. Run - three times

Specifics and schedules are flexible. But I must do these three things consistently. I know that if I do them, I will be happy with my results.

7. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great way to stay on track!

Here are my two goals, one the same as the Spring Training Challenge and one very similar:

Goal 1: 12% body fat , or less

Goal 2: Run a 15K in September (past the close of the challenge, but most of my training will be focused there.)

8. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm thinking about joining this just because I don't want to miss the giant birthday party in September. :dance:

It's 102 days until my birthday.

Unfortunately, I haven't thought about what I'd like to do.

I kind of like Ecrivain's layout because it looks easy, so I'll go with that

Each week I will:

1. Eat fruits and vegetables - at least five servings every single day, two of which must be vegetables
    2. Lift weights - three times
    3. Walk, run, or do something else active - twice

Now I'm off to invite Zoetastic....

9. misterjingo

misterjingo Well-Known Member

Ok I'm in. There are a few goals I want to meet:

1. I want to beat my time from last year at the Peachtree on July 4. This should be pretty easy to do since I walked it last year and weighed 60 lbs more than I do now.

2. Continue my cutting. I'm going to shoot for 215 lbs and 18% body fat.

3. Continue to follow my diet. I have to eat around 2,000 calories a day. I'm going to copy guava and shoot for 5 servings of fruits and veggies.

4. Workout-3 days lifting (modified 5x5 stronglifts) and 3 days cardio (running and biking).

Here are my starting stats:

252 lbs
    25.5% body fat.

10. Buttersweet

Buttersweet Active Member

I'm in too.

My goal is to simply continue with the current plan over summer. I want to keep exercising even during my vacation.
    1. It would be perfect if I reached 18% bf by September but I don't even know what my current %bf is so I don't know how realistic it is. - need to revise this later.:confused:
    2. I want to improve my diet. So far it's clean, but low on proteins, so that's my first priority. And to stop skipping breakfast.:)
    3. Lifting 4 times a week minimum + cardio 3 times a week (introduce swimming instead of aerobics or running)
    4. Push-ups - every lifting workout without fail. Goal: a sequence of 20 by September sounds reasonable.

There's a wedding I need to attend on September 4th that I didn't find very motivational really, but now it kind of seems convenient.:)

11. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    AWESOME! I didn't realize we had so many birthdays clustered together in the end of August/beginning of September. New Year's Eve babies, unite!

THERE'S STILL TIME TO GET IN ON THIS... EVEN IF YOU DON'T POST UP UNTIL THE END OF THE WEEK, YOU CAN STILL DO THIS CHALLENGE!

12. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

I'm a september baby too :madpimp:. September 2nd will be my 30th birthday :scared:.

so...count me in!

i'll figure out my plan/goals tonight, homies!

13. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:bang: Crap. Someone must have done a Jedi mind trick on me last night. It seemed like a good idea then. But I thought about it all night and had an enormous sense of dread. The timing is not good for me, as I've been struggling with some things for the last couple of weeks and have not had my heart into things. I was going to post today that I am dropping out of this challenge, but that's probably even worse than staying in and failing. :cry: So, I'm not sure yet. I'm crossing my fingers.

I don't know what you all are doing, but I'm going to go ahead and make my first progress post right in this thread. Not that I'll be doing all of them here, but maybe some:
    Meal 1
    whole wheat bread, peanut butter, banana
    Meal 2
    shrimp, brown jasmine rice, broccoli, green beans
    Meal 3
    cherry yogurt, peach yogurt, fresh kiwi, fresh blueberries, 4 squares of dark chocolate. FOUR?!? WTF? :spank:
    Meal 4
    The rest of my family is having roast beef and rice, but I don't think that's going to work for me. I'm having wicked side effects from the prescription drugs I'm on and have amazing nausea as a result, so I think I'm going to have cereal, fruit, and almond milk, or a smoothie.

That means fruit and vegetable requirements are done.

Activity - I have to take my daughter for soccer practice. I'm the snack lady tonight. I may or may not be able to walk/jog while she's there. But I'm not crazy about drawing attention to myself.

14. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

I'm screwed as my birthday is only 13 days away. Also we are in winter season here now.

My goal by birthday date is to get back to my regular training & diet schedule that I had. I've currently been on hiatus from that whilst family issues have needed attention.
    I set June 1st as a start to return to diet and today (June 2nd here) I resumed my morning walk.

So far all is going well. Within the next 2 weeks I aim to get back into the gym and resume training.

15. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

:hug:

the goals you posted looked not too bad. :tucool: maybe time will be gracious to you. :nod:

16. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Better to aim for the stars and land on the moon than to stay on the ground wondering what could've been.

17. Wrenn

Wrenn Active Member

I vote we rename this challenge to 100 Days of Winter! At least for those of us that live on the proper side of the planet!

18. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

I've joined the challenge and the end goal is to be 140lbs (or as close as possible) by my 30th birthday!

it will be important that i weigh myself and post the info once a week (part of how i tend to gain weight is by being blissfully ignorant to how much i weigh.) :nod:

it's on! :claphigh:

19. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

i really think the only thing i can do in this challenge is stick with the work i was doing in spring training.

run 3-4 times per week
    lift 2 times per week
    1700 calories per day max
    make it work even when travelling
    get weight under 175

its actually a good thing to just keep going and i feel relieved that the time pressure is gone now. i was getting stressed that i was running out of time and that's no way to cut. so we just keep on rolling through the program and see where we are at the end of the summer. :tucool:

20. Wrenn

Wrenn Active Member

June 1 - June 4

Weight: 104.1kg
    Runing: 3km, 3km

I usually write up my progress Friday's so I'll do that here so this is a short week!

Weight is down. I dropped under 105kg and under 25% body fat which I was happy to see.

I just did a few short runs this week as I wanted to check out my running pace. For a half marathon (21km) I need to run faster than 10.5km/h. This week I tried out some of the high bpm tracks from the podrunner site (Thanks Ecrivain for linking that site, its awesome!). At 160bpm I ran 3km in 17:40m or 10.1km/h and at 180bpm I ran 3km in 15:25m or 11.6km/h.

The 180bpm track was crazy fast (no wonder I beat my old 3km time by over a minute!) and the 160bpm track was probably slightly slower than I normally run. I think I will be doing a short/medium fast run during the week using the 180pm tracks to work on cardio/speed and a long run on the weekend at the 160bpm pace.

Under 2h for a half marathon might be a bit beyond me at the moment, will see how it goes ;-)