1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

1 scoop Muscle Milk, 1 scoop Designer Whey?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Reign, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Reign

Reign Well-Known Member

I've been supplementing with Muscle Milk and watching what I eat. I've gone from 175 lbs to 155 lbs over the past 6 months. Slow progress, but all my clothes are looser and I can fit my "trendier" fitted dress shirts now. Seemingly, very little loss in muscle mass but I don't know how to measure that. Strength has increased steadily, but I'm not really pushing the heaviest weights.

Anyway... my question is... my midsection has shrunk, but the fat seems to be sticking around. Perhaps it's due to the Muscle Milk? I like the taste and for breakfast and lunch it's basically my only source of fat (besides eggs and whatever is contained in chicken, turkey, or salmon).

Is it okay that I mix one scoop of Muscle Milk and one scoop of Designer Whey for a mid-morning snack and a post-workout shake?

2. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

I'm not really surprised you haven't received an answer as there really isn't one. I take it from what you've said your goal is fat loss. If you have stubborn fat, you need to work harder (or smarter) and drop your caloric intake. Adding more calories isn't going to help. Adding more protein powder, unless you're deleting other foods elsewhere, is simply adding more calories.

The reason I say there isn't an answer is that you have provided precious little information: goals, caloric intake, foods you eat to meet that intake; workout plan, height, BF, etc. No one can really make an educated comment on your plan without... knowing something about your plan.

3. Reign

Reign Well-Known Member

Oh. What I meant was to create a shake with 1 scoop Muscle Milk and 1 scoop Designer Whey, instead of the usual 2 scoops of Muscle Milk. I was going to do this to reduce the fat and carb calories in Muscle Milk.

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

It doesn't make a difference. Read what Chop was trying to explain and the info she asked for. As long as you meet your required macro's by the end of the day, you can use 10 scoops Muscle Milk, or 1 scoop muscle milk per day. Makes no difference as long as your target macro's are met.

5. JC

JC Active Member

Hi, Aram. I've seen you saying this a lot recently, and I'm curious: how do you take into account pre/post nutrition? Could one, theoretically, eat a single (large) meal per day and, as long as he/she meets the required macros, be fine? Or am I misunderstanding you?

6. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Now these are the type of questions I enjoy receiving. :nod:

Nutrient timing is going to be paramount surrounding the training bout. Other than this window of opportunity, meal timing is unimportant, as long as the macro's are met by day's end. The body is much more efficient and crafty than we give it credit for. Let's use protein as an example

How about a about a hypothetical scenario that might better illustrate my point. Let's say we did an experiment on two 150 lb people. We give Person A 150g protein a day spread over 5 meals, 30g protein each. We give Person B the same amount of protein, but over 2 meals, each containing 75 g protein.

If we really believed that only 30 g protein can be handled by the body in a single meal (which is a very common assumption), then Person B would go into protein malnutrition eventually because he supposedly is only absorbing a total of 60 g protein out of the 150 we're giving him. This simply will not happen. If the body worked this way, our species would quickly become extinct - like I said, our bodies are more efficient than we give them credit for.

What WILL happen is the body will take the time it needs to effectively digest and absorb whatever dose you give it. Person A will have shorter digestion periods per meal in order to effectively absorb the 30 g protein meals. Person B will have longer digestion periods in order to effectively absorb the 75 g protein meals. To add a little interesting side bar here, Person B (with the higher per-meal dose) has the advantage of more higher elevations in blood amino acid levels at each meal, which can actually be more anabolic than the more spread out pattern of Person A.

This has also been sited in reasearch with speed pulse feedings with women. If you need case studies, let me know and I'll send them via PM.

I also don'think getting in all your macro's in one meal is going to be gastronomically comfortable for the majority of us. I mean, I can easily order a big steak omelette and Colorado omelette from IHOP, shovel both bad boyz down my pie ho, get my 4000 calories and not eat again for the rest of the day. As long as I'm traing hard and progressively, you can bet that I will be building muscle. In fact, this is what I'm doing now (if you visit my private journal). But I have to admit, on top of the IHOP excursions, I've been frequenting the Asian all-you-can-eat joints later at night, too. :o

7. JC

JC Active Member

You've never lost your awesomeness, Aram. Very interesting information. Thanks!