1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

1.5 Years on JSF, Thanks John!

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by gravityhomer, Jun 13, 2005.

1. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well it's been about 1.5 years since I first found John Stone's website. It feels so much longer.

Back in January of 2004, I was at my all time high of 210 pounds at 5'10". I learned what body fat % was and found out I was either 25% according to healthcentral.com or 29% according to my new scale, which I bought the day after finding John's website. Assuming 27% to start that meant I had 56.7 pounds of fat on me.

These were my stats in Jan 2004:
    Weight: 210 lbs, (95 kg)
    BF%: 27%
    Fat mass: 56.7 lbs (25.7 kg)
    Waist: 41 inches (104 cm)
    Hips: 43.5 inches (110.5 cm)
    Chest: 42 inches (107 cm)

My current stats as of June 2005 are:
    Weight: 164 lbs, (74 kg)
    BF%: 10%
    BF mass: 16.4 lbs (7.4 kg)
    Waist: 32.75 inches (83.2 cm)
    Hips: 38.25 inches (97.2 cm)
    Chest: 37.25 inches (94.6 cm)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Over the 1.5 years:
    I lost 46 lbs (21 kg), 40 lbs (18 kg) of which was fat mass.
    I lost 8.25 inches off my waist
    5.25 inches off my hips
    4.75 inches off my chest
    I wear a size 32" waist pants instead of a tight 36" waist
    I wear a size medium shirt instead of XL

I took weekly photos as I lost the weight and they are on the **************.net site in my link. The plan that I used while losing the weight is written up in my fat loss guide in me signature.

All of these changes I owe to John Stone and his websites. I never would have believed that I could do this if I didn't see John's photos showing me it was possible. All my life I have been fat, it's almost like I still can't believe it every morning when I look in the mirror.

And thanks to everyone who has supported me here and given me motivation and advice. The information and people on this forum are a huge part of what I've done. Let's keep this forum around and free!! I can't believe how different my life is because I found a website on the internet.

Thank you John!

Attached Files:

#1 gravityhomer, Jun 13, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  2. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

Woot :) Congrats!
    I can't believe it has already been that long!

I need to get my a$$ back in gear.

-Allen

3. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    NO... THANK YOU, GravityHomer!

These before and after pictures are exactly what I needed to see today. Like you, I was around 210 in September 2004 when I said "Enough Is Enough." And my body fat was 25% AFTER losing the first 20 pounds in November 2004 (first time I had it checked in a LONG time).

I'm trying to get to 175lbs at 12% by the one year "anniversary" of changing my life (I'm now at 180 and 18% with four months to go) and if I can look as good as you do when I hit the "year and a half" mark (165 and 10% would be about perfect for me I think...) then I will be happy. I'm printing out these pictures as proof that it can be done. And then I'm going to go back and read your entire journal, look at all your pictures, and check out your fat loss plan. I wanna be just like you.

Thanks again... and thanks to JSF for the introduction.

4. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Absolutely amazing transformation! I'm extremely proud of you. :)

Thank you for being such a great poster and supporter of JSF. :tu:

5. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks allen and philly dude!

Where in philly are you from? I lived in Philadephia for the first 21 years of my life before moving away from work. I was born in olney but then we moved to Fox Chase in the northeast.

6. henderjr

henderjr Well-Known Member

Congrats man. You've made a great transformation.

This site has by far been my biggest motivation as well.

The people here are kind, helpful, and mature. Exactly not what I've found on some others.

Which reminds me I need to dig into my pocket and show some support!

Edit: Ok $10 is better than 0 right?

Jesse

#6 henderjr, Jun 13, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  7. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Dude that's an awesome transformation!

You probably added 10 years to your life. It should feel damn good every time you look in the mirror.

I think what this site does for people is show you what is possible if you maintain focus for an extended period. This is hard evidence that diet + exercise is the only way to improve your physique.

Great work! :claphigh:

8. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks John! :D I can't say thank you enough. Your website has given me the tools and drive so that I could do this myself. Everyone can do this.

9. escher

escher Well-Known Member

Wow... Gravity that is AWESOME!! You went from a gut to a 6 pack in only a year and a half.. Thats amazing. Great work. A real inspiration to everyone!
    Yeah this site has been a lifesaver for many of us.. I dont know that I would be where I am if I hadnt stumbled on this site, and hadnt started my transformation a year and a half ago... Thanks John!

10. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Gravity,

That's a great change and I am especially grateful for the inspiration because my measurements are a bit comparable to yours in every respect: a bit smaller (5'8), a bit lighter at the start (200lbs) and a bit lighter today (161lbs). But in my case I still have a little more fat on the chest and lower abs. Also, I think I'm going to have the same kind of 6-pack: only four bumps above the belly button but two more below with the middle line well defined (as on your sick of being fat page). So I'm very grateful that you posted your pics, as well as happy for you (and slightly envious that you are already there but hey... I'll get there too). :D

So what are your plans now? You could keep that shape and be happy with that for sure, but do you intend to bulk up perhaps?

Vincent.

11. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm actually in Swarthmore, out near the airport on I-95.
    Wife is originally from Olney, however, and her folks moved to Fox Chase too... see a pattern here?

12. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks escher and vincent.

:confused: what do I do now? I haven't really thought about it too much. At a minimum I am going to stick with what I am currently doing, 3 days of weights, lots of walking exercise and eating healthy. According to the numbers I lost about 10 pounds of fat and gained 2 pounds of muscle doing this type of program for the last 3 months. So at a minimum I'll just keep doing what I am doing. If I feel like I am getting too skinny I'll just maintain.

Also, I don't feel great about the fact that I haven't really been doing any real cardio. It's weird because I look like I am in the best shape of my life, but I'm sure I would be dying after a half mile of running. I was always a runner so I think I am going to start up again, but just a few times a week. I want to make sure I don't drop any weight from it, which is great, I just get to eat more.

Another sport I plan to get back into is rock climbing. I use to do it indoors for fun a few years ago, but I was much heavier and not as strong. I think it's the ultimate sport to take advantage of low body fat.

Anyway, so I think for right now I am going to switch my goals so they are more performance/sports related rather than based on a certain number of fat pounds.

In terms of bulking, I think I would definitely fall into the wary category. I think it will take some time before I intentially put a lot of mass on. Right now I would be content with a very slow increase of muscle mass. Something like a few pounds a year would be fine. I'm just going to enjoy this at the moment and become more all around physically fit.

13. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Sounds good.

I think I know what you mean by being "wary" of bulking. When you've been severely overweight it's a scary prospect to eat a lot!

For cardio, I'm not a runner either, but the elliptical has done wonders for me and not just in terms of looks. When I started I could not even run 30mns, in fact not even 15. Now my resting heart rate has dropped (from memory 67 to 54bpm) and I feel like I am ready to walk up mountains again. But no climbing for me, I stay on the safe paths. :D

Vincent.

14. fujo

fujo Well-Known Member

You look great! Congratulations on such an amazing transformation!

15. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Wonderful changes you've made. :tu:

16. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Isnt that you in your avatar ? Why hide your face then ? ;)

Seriously mate, that is some top notch transforming you got there, you look good, you sound happy and you will only go on to set and acheive many more goals in the future, in both fitness and in life.

One of the great things about getting fit is that you get motivated, and that rubs off on your whole life. :nod:

Top Bannana, thanks for sharing. :tu:

17. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Henderjr, nice transformation, I just looked at your photos. $10 sounds good to me.

Nico, fujo and Guava, thanks for your comments guys.

Last night I was brushing my teeth and I sort of had this vision of what I use to look like staring back at me. It was really weird but I instantly felt what I use to feel all those times I would look in the mirror, utter dissappointment in my apearance. It think it is still going to take a while to get use to looking differently, even after a full year of being down in weight.

Philly dude, I'm betting your wife went to Cardinal Dougherty highschool along with every other kid in Olney back then. That's where my parents went and my brother.

18. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep... Dougherty grad, class of 82. I'll bet her parents know your parents. It seems like my father-in-law knows everyone from up in that neighborhood. Small world, eh?

19. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks Reno, I love your posts. I can't remember which thread it was in but I think it was directed to ciffrza, about life not getting you down, really well written. Yeah that's me in my avatar. I'm not sure why I don't show my face, it started last year when I first posted a pic, my wife was away in Thailand, for a few weeks, and it seemed posting half naked pictues of yourself on the internet somehow required approval of the significant other.

20. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

It think that vision of our past selves never quite goes away. Not for me, anyway. It's a demon that's destined to haunt me - a reminder of sorts of who I was and who I never want to be again. Every time I look in the mirror, it's like... I'm surprised by who's staring back. Some two years past when I lost the bulk of my weight, I am astounded by what I've done. I'm ashamed I wasted so much potential for so long. I'm sad I missed most of my 20's covered in fat.

It's probably those thoughts that help me envision where I'm going. Where I'm headed is light-years ahead of where I was, and the further from the starting point, the better.

Congratulations on a superb effort.

-R