1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

“I wish I had your willpower, John!”; Time for a mid-season pep talk.

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by John Stone, Feb 3, 2015.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

2. marked

marked Well-Known Member

Is this your 5th Article on Fat Loss from December 2014?

Hi John,

Very timely, since I think you stated you were going to write a 5th article on the mental rigours of fat loss in mid cut - so almost precisely to the day! I guess this covers that, but if you do write that elusive article in the theme of the other 4 I'd love to read the temptations you faced and how you overcame.

I've got 2 beautiful kids (5 and 6) and they have treats now and then where my partner does a similar thing to the Costco shop buying in bulk. The biggest problem for me was always opening a cupboard door to get a tea bag out (I'm a Brit!) and there staring at me was my favourite Cadbury's Chocolate Buttons. They come in a big multitreat pack (I think about 1000 cals in a bag). I love them, so I had three choices

i) Screw up my macros by eating them and potentially my whole diet

ii) Put them somewhere else and hope I forget them/don't go into that cupboard

iii) Compartmentalize them for the kids.

I do item (iii), because weirdly I can disassociate myself from "raiding" kids stuff. I'll also add I've become a huge fan of "Piccolo" Tomatoes. I get through 250g of them per day - a whopping 50 calories!

Best of luck to everyone on building their Summer bodies...now :)

Mark

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

No, that was the motivation article. It doesn't really fit in with the "How I prepare for a cut" theme, so I just stuck it out there on its own.

It sounds like you found your best method for dealing with temptation, and that's what really matters. For me, there is no temptation when I'm machine mode. I know that sounds silly, but it's true. If you missed it, I wrote an article on this subject as part of my Fat Loss 101 series. You can find links to those article in the sticky found in the beginner's forum, or the Articles section of JSF.