Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Fat Loss/Cutting

Fat Loss/Cutting Get ripped. This forum is for those who have already invested time into learning about fat loss. Beginners should post in the beginner's forum.

Having Fun, Seeing Results, Time for Change?
Old Thu, May 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Sedentary_Endomorph

Sex: Male
Stats: Age 42 5' 10" Began 258 and now 197.
Default Having Fun, Seeing Results, Time for Change?

Ok, I'm down about 30 lbs since the beginning of January. I was having some good success with strength training 2-3 x per week-split routine, mixed with treadmill, krav maga, and walking. I was getting bored with the weight training and treadmill, and found that walking just wasn't doing much as I improved my general fitness level.

The last month, I've dropped the weight training, treadmill, and walking altogether. My weight loss is slowing to about 1 lb per week. I now do the following:

M: Krav Maga 1.5 hours (cardio)
T: Extreme Cardio Kickboxing 1 hour
W: Day off
H: Extreme Cardio Kickboxing 1 hour
F: Crossfit
S: Krav Maga 1.5 hours

At first, I couldn't keep up--endurance wise--however, now I am in the middle of the pack. I am having fun and looking forward to working out. However, feel like I need to change things up a bit again. Where could I add weight training? Should I give something up?

Sedentary_Endomorph

Old Thu, May 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Nate Buesching

Stats: HT: 5'10 WT: 184 BF: 10%

Congrats on the loss so far! I'm assuming you are taking Sunday off since you didn't list it. Could be used as another day for flexibility in your schedule. In my experience, most fat loss plateaus and slow downs come down to diet (you aren't eating enough or too much). I'm going to assume you are an endomorph because of your forum name. The above advice is definitely true when it comes to endomorphs. You MUST have your diet in order to prevent fat loss slowing and plateaus. It's hard to stomach that (haha I made a fat loss joke!) but it's true! As an endo myself, I understand completely. It's good that you are enjoying your workouts! You are doing a lot of cardio which is fine depending on your goals. If it were me I would drop some of the extra cardio and go for the weights. If the weights are boring you then you may not be challenging yourself enough. One of the perks of being an endo is that you tend to be naturally strong. Don't be afraid of going heavy! Keep up the great work!

Old Thu, May 10th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Sedentary_Endomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Buesching View Post
Congrats on the loss so far! I'm assuming you are taking Sunday off since you didn't list it. Could be used as another day for flexibility in your schedule. In my experience, most fat loss plateaus and slow downs come down to diet (you aren't eating enough or too much). I'm going to assume you are an endomorph because of your forum name. The above advice is definitely true when it comes to endomorphs. You MUST have your diet in order to prevent fat loss slowing and plateaus. It's hard to stomach that (haha I made a fat loss joke!) but it's true! As an endo myself, I understand completely. It's good that you are enjoying your workouts! You are doing a lot of cardio which is fine depending on your goals. If it were me I would drop some of the extra cardio and go for the weights. If the weights are boring you then you may not be challenging yourself enough. One of the perks of being an endo is that you tend to be naturally strong. Don't be afraid of going heavy! Keep up the great work!
I'm definitely not eating enough--even though I haven't been hungry for the most part. I would not have guessed that I was so far off, however, I have been logging my calories since Sunday. iMy schedule varied a little bit this week due to work commitments. Here are my stats.

Sunday (5 mile run--55 minutes) 1,428 calories: 65 g protein; 217 g carb; 21 g fat

Monday (2.75 mile run--28 minutes in the morning, 1.5 hours Krav--cardio in the evening) 1612 calories; 56 g protein; 182 g carb; 64 g fat

Tuesday (45 minute walk at lunch, 1 hour kickboxing in the pm) 2385 calories; 110 g protein; 286 g carb; 85 g fat

Wednesday (2.75 mile run in the am-28 minutes, 1.5 hours krav--cardio) 1,719 calories; 98 g protein; 236 carb; 42 g fat

Thursday (1 hour kickboxing) 1230 calories; 62 g protein; 199 g carb; 28 g fat

Ok, I've done some reading here an elsewhere. I am not eating enough and probably not in the right proportions. I know calories are important, however, remain confused about the recommended distribution of protein, carbs, and fats relative to an activity level.
Anyone recommend a difinitive article or have suggested changes? Thanks

Not-So-Sendentary_Endomorph

Old Fri, May 11th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
fealinlucky

Hey yo,

First of Congrates on the current progress... 30 lbs in just a few months is pretty awesome, must be nice not carrying around 2 extra bowling balls everywhere you go huh? ;-)

I'm by no means an expert, but Ive lurked here for a few years and am currently working with Mastover (which is amazing)... in looking over your breakdown (especially if your a endomorph) I would say and what you probably already see... WAY up on the protein, (ive read on here that you want around 1g of protein per lb you weigh) and slim down on the carbs... I would try to target a 40p - 20c - 20f macro and see if that bumps that fat loss up a bit

Evaluate the New Training Plan
Old Sun, May 20th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Sedentary_Endomorph

Default Evaluate the New Training Plan

This is my new work out and nutrition plan for the next six weeks. I'm getting closer to eating enough calories with clean foods 5-6 x per day. I'm shooting for 2,964 calories per day with a 30/50/20 split but don't know if I should adjust this up or down for workout days. Considering a protein shake to put me closer to 40/40/20 but don't have a clue what to get.

Sunday: (after warmup set of each) 3x5 of the following: dips, pull ups, power cleans, barbell curls, shoulder press, seated rows, calf raises, plus 75 reps/abs.

Monday: Krav (60 minutes moderate intensity cardio)

Tuesday: Kickboxing (60 minutes intense cardio)

Wedness: Off

Thursday: 3x5 of the following: squats, leg press, close grip bench press, bench press, static grip, 75 reps/abs

Friday: Off

Saturday: Krav (60 minutes cardio)

I'm 5'10 at 219. Should I be eating more or less? Should my calories vary on or after workout days? Thoughts on a brand/shake?

Thanks, S_E

Whey Protein brand selected
Old Mon, May 21st, 2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Sedentary_Endomorph

Default Whey Protein brand selected

I went ahead and bought a can of Six Star Whey Protein in vanilla flavoring along with a shake bottle. Bottle works pretty well and the taste is tolerable as it is. I'm just using 1 scoop per 8 oz of skim milk and will likely use it 1x per day. Not sure if I'll use it regularly as a post workout nutrient replacement. I have been eating a banana and a can of tuna. Any thoughts one way or the other?

Thanks, S_E