Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Main Fitness Forums > Introductions & Advice For Beginners

Introductions & Advice For Beginners New to the forums and want to introduce yourself? This is the place. Confused about fat loss, eating right and/or weight training and don't know where to begin? Start by reading the "sticky" posts at the top of this forum.

Old Newbie, New Newbie!
Old Sat, April 28th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #1
XCRick

Sex: Male
Default Old Newbie, New Newbie!

Hello Guys!

Got some questions for you but let's do a little bit of intro first.

Around 2000 to 2003 I have learned tremendous amount of information from Men Healths Forum (and I could swear there was another one...) about how to train and get better. Eating 5-6 meals a day, understanding the importance of the diet, FitDay, Benedict-Arnold formula, HIIT... And I was 22 year old, and it really help me feeling better.

This is also the time I read about a very inspiring guy from this website (http://www.twowiresthin.com/wl2003/index.html).... (Transformation 2003).

2004 came, I became a dad...forgot about everything. Got quite in bad shape. And now its time to start back, and I remember about John Story and decided to be inspired.

Some numbers:
  • 33 Years Old
  • 5 feet 7
  • 186 pounds
  • %Fat : 25 to 28 (Using one of these very expensive machine in a gym in conjunction of caliper)
  • Medicated for high blood pressure but very well controlled.

My Goal:
  • Body Fat in the 15 to 20 (To starts... )
  • Around 170 Pounds.
  • Looking great.

Here my "issue". I started back 2 years ago to get back in shape by cycling a lot. While not being a pro, my usual routine is 45 to 75 miles in a day, average 12-15 mph, once a week and shorter runs for 1-2 days. This routine, for the last 2 years, mixed with some basic running allowed me to not gain weight and even loose 5 pounds...before winter.

Unfortunately always on the road, taking customer out, alcohol is way too present.... (Excuses......... I just read a good article on this today... )

This year, I'll continue cycling but I have already added running (Jogging) too. What can I say... I just love this level of cardio!

But here the thing... 10 years ago, it was already clear that cardio without strength training is not that helpful. I have read many articles today on JSF and that still true... Added to this, I have read also elsewhere that cardio is also the enemy of building muscle...

So..... I love cardio and I want to continue (Actually I think I need it). I subscribe to the Spartan Race that will be held in Montreal in 6 weeks (I'll dine in hell on that day! ) .. So I'll keep going on my cardiovascular strength... but after? How can I continue cycling and running without being counter-productive on weight-training?

Let me know what you think !

Thanks!
Eric

Old Mon, April 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Seltzer

First of all, welcome.

I'm certainly no expert, just some guy who tries so take what I say with that in mind. The answer is more of a gray area than black and white because it depends upon what you are looking to achieve, but without a doubt I would advocate lifting in addition to whatever else you do. Based on what you wrote I think you can incorporate both your love for cycling those long distances and lifting.

So you know who is giving the advice: I like to lift and I also like to cycle and run and will be running a marathon on Memorial Day weekend. Yesterday I ran a half marathon with my wife. In two weeks I have a charity bicycle ride that in years past I've done a century for. I lifted today and will continue to do so until a few days before the marathon, but I should mention that I do make a concession and eliminate doing any heavy big compounds that involve my lower body. Squats and deadlifts, which bring fantastic results, take a back seat for a couple/few months before each marathon because I can't handle them and the long training runs; others here can, but not me. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, but I do notice the effect it has on me.

If you haven't already, read the stickies; there's a ton of info there as well as an emphasis on the important factor of eating properly.

Good luck.

Old Thu, May 3rd, 2012, 12:38 AM   #3
XCRick

Hello Seltzer,

Thanks for breakin' the ice. I think my post was maybe a little too talkative but couldn't really modify it after it was posted... I have to say that I could have simplify this a lot.

I really appreciate having a snapshot of your experience. I'm not to the point where my cardio exercise is good enough to make me in better shape. My diet is killing me and I'm getting back full speed on fitday.

Have you managed to get great results of your weight training although you have done plenty of cardio? (with you marathon and half-marathon?).

I guess my question is very simple. I need to get back in shape and I'll work this out by myself, but if cardio will kill any muscle growth, I will need to be more clever about it...

Again Seltzer, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Eric

Old Thu, May 3rd, 2012, 03:55 AM   #4
Robert2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRick View Post

My diet is killing me and I'm getting back full speed on fitday.
With your goals diet is 99% of the equation. You can't spend all the time planning workouts then ignore intake.

Think about it. You seem to do a LOT of biking. All you've lost is 5lbs. 5lbs can be just the normal fluctuation.

Get the diet straight.

You can't out run/ride the fork. The fork is strong.

Old Thu, May 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM   #5
XCRick

Hello Robert,

Thanks for your insight, I guess you couldn't be more right about this. I was doing a lot of cardio last year but never lost the weight... Looks like it only helped me not gaining pounds.

I'll go read back the stickies about nutrition, and try to understand the best way to approach this. But lowering my alcohol intake will be mandatory.

Old Sat, May 5th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Terps01fan2006

Do what you enjoy, Eric. If you love running and cycling spend your time doing that! You WILL lose weight and BF% if you don't compliment your activity with eating like a horse.

You said your in for one of them Spartan races, thats great! Putting a goal on the calander is a great motivator to keep going. As far as traveling and such, throw a pair of running kicks and a couple pairs of shorts/shirts in a gym bag, you can run anywhere/anytime. When I travel and have free time, I'll just park in some random spot and go for a nice out n back run, kinda hard to get lost if you use the out and back routes.

Cycling is an awesome sport and very addicting at that. General rule of thumb is a mile cycling burns ~30/cals a mile, running ~125/cals a mile. I would figure these amounts into your daily eating routine.

Have you thought about doing any triathlons? You have two of the three legs down, what about swimming? I hated swimming, still do actually, but I learned the sport and now am now half-bad at it. Swimming is the price paid to be able to crush it on the bike and run afterwards. Look around for some Tri's, the season is approaching, I'm sure you can find some.

You're getting back into running? Any 5k's on the weekends you can run? If your as competitive as me, the itch never goes away and achieving goals is a great motivator to work even harder and a more challenging goal.

Bottom line, do what you enjoy. There isnt any rule that says you MUST lift weights to "look good". Granted, it will help, but realistically if youre cycling high miles and burning a lot of calories, you're not going to put on much muscle mass, if any at all, unless you eat a crazy amount.

Don't overthink the damn thing, just get out a move!

Good luck!