Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Introductions & Advice For Beginners

Introductions & Advice For Beginners New to the forums and want to introduce yourself? This is the place. Confused about fat loss, eating right and/or weight training and don't know where to begin? Start by reading the "sticky" posts at the top of this forum.

Never been active til now, Need help!
Old Tue, April 24th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
CrookedHalos

CrookedHalos is online
Sex: Male
Default Never been active til now, Need help!

I've started going to the gym and reading this forum a little. I dunno what goals to aim for, I really want to just feel healthy and comfortable in clothes. But I hate my small arms and how weak I feel. I need a plan that will get me strength while cutting weight, is that possible? Ive heard a lot of my friends say you either got to do one or the other. If so what do you all recommend?

I've taken this plan so far. I really enjoy it, I feel sore and I'm able to recover nicely. But I'm not sure if its right for cutting fat as well.

Also tried to keep my diet around 2300 calories. I'm not used to eating so it feels weird to me so far.

I've been working out at midnight at the local gym because of my work schedule as well.

Stats
Age - 21
Height 5 11' (so close!)
Weight - 165 to 170

Old Tue, April 24th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #2
scohen158

Stats: 6ft 174.6 lbs

If I were you I would eat clean and actually do a bit of a bulk add maybe 20 pounds then cut 10 or so and with it being your first time working out you should see awesome gains. I would only focus on weights almost no cardio maybe a 4 day split while eating 500 pounds above maintaining for someone of your weight and working out 4 times a day. Use the scale to track the weight gain but more importantly use a tape measure and the mirror to track how your physique changes.

I think if you cut first you won't be happy being 150 or 155 as you won't add a ton of muscle. You will likely add strength since you haven't worked out at all.

So you have to figure out how many calories you need to eat with working out to just maintain weight and add from there and make sure you get like 40% roughly of it in protein.

Old Tue, April 24th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #3
CrookedHalos

CrookedHalos is online

That's what I was thinking. That's why I went with a bulking guide. I bought protein whey and creatine. I haven't touched the creatine because I noticed the protein has some in it already. I was reading one of the nutrition guides here and I figured out I supposedly burn around 2500 calories. So this last few weeks I've been eating nothing but oatmeal, protein whey, and chicken breasts and sometimes a spoon of peanut butter or yogurt. I've been using a scale and my weights stayed between 168-173 and I've figured the flux is just mostly water and meals. I'm trying my best to drink a gallon of water a day. Usually only get a little more then half a gallon. I'm really not used to eating and all of a sudden I started munching all day on this diet. I feel fat lol but I've gained nor loss nothing in weight. I do feel stronger, I can flex stronger with less shaking. I try to do 2 days of cardio, 4 days of lifting heavy. So I guess it's working? Maybe once my arms and shoulders match my gut proportionally I'll be happy lol

Old Wed, April 25th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #4
scohen158

Stats: 6ft 174.6 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedHalos View Post
That's what I was thinking. That's why I went with a bulking guide. I bought protein whey and creatine. I haven't touched the creatine because I noticed the protein has some in it already. I was reading one of the nutrition guides here and I figured out I supposedly burn around 2500 calories. So this last few weeks I've been eating nothing but oatmeal, protein whey, and chicken breasts and sometimes a spoon of peanut butter or yogurt. I've been using a scale and my weights stayed between 168-173 and I've figured the flux is just mostly water and meals. I'm trying my best to drink a gallon of water a day. Usually only get a little more then half a gallon. I'm really not used to eating and all of a sudden I started munching all day on this diet. I feel fat lol but I've gained nor loss nothing in weight. I do feel stronger, I can flex stronger with less shaking. I try to do 2 days of cardio, 4 days of lifting heavy. So I guess it's working? Maybe once my arms and shoulders match my gut proportionally I'll be happy lol
I would start at 2500-3000 calories for a couple weeks do your 4 days of weights and get rest as well as keep your water intake track and then decide if upping the calories may help you gain some more muscle based on results. The main thing is to hit your calories everyday for consistency and get your protein requirement. Also don't only use the scale as a way to track progress.

Old Sat, April 28th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #5
user786

Stats: 5ft 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedHalos View Post
I've gained nor loss nothing in weight. I do feel stronger, l
Dont worry about scale weight , get yourself a myotape or any measuring tape and record your biceps flexed your waist your chest and quad and calf measurement . keep a eye on these if your waist is dropping and the others either stay the same or ideally increase then your winning . Also make sure you record how many reps/ weight you are moving in the gym and as long as that is going up week to week then your doing good.

2012 Goals journal
http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/s...ad.php?t=52496