Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Participatory Sports, General Health & Injuries > General Health/Fitness, Health Conditions & Injuries

General Health/Fitness, Health Conditions & Injuries Help with injuries, health conditions and general health & fitness topics that don't fall under existing forum categories.

Will diarrhea affect muscle/fat gain?
Old Mon, April 23rd, 2012, 06:16 PM   #1
omartron

Sex: Male
Default Will diarrhea affect muscle/fat gain?

Hey, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum!

Firstly, I'd like to apologise if any of this is gross.

I used to train about three years ago and made some great progress but then got lazy and stopped up until January this year when I started hitting the gym hard and eating properly to gain weight. The only problem is in december I started having severe diarrhea and didn't think anything of it.

I went to the doctors about two months later and they couldn't find anything with blood tests, so I had to go for a colonoscopy (which I wouldn't recommend had it not been for the laughing gas that they give you!) and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. They gave me medication and now at the end of april, 4 months later my diarrhea is FINALLY gone. I still have another 6 weeks of medication left (a corticosteroid and anti-inflammatory) but it IS gone.

Since january I've seen some awesome gains in strength in the gym but I was wondering if at all the diarrhea could have slowed down my gains? I'd like to hear your take on the situation, thanks a lot guys!

By the way, I'm a 19 year old male, average build with average amounts of fat.

In about a month's time I'll be checking in to let people know if it did have any effect

Omar

Last edited by omartron; Mon, April 23rd, 2012 at 06:21 PM..

Old Wed, April 25th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #2
huxald

Stats: 6' 2"

hi cell turnover increases your caloric requirement. also, corticosteroids tend to cause muscle lossdue to increased gluconeogenesis.

Old Wed, April 25th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #3
JoeSchmo

Could also cause dehydration (and electrolyte loss) as well, which isn't optimal for training and muscle growth.

Glad you got it fixed though and are getting better results in the gym.