Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Participatory Sports, General Health & Injuries > General Health/Fitness, Health Conditions & Injuries

General Health/Fitness, Health Conditions & Injuries Help with injuries, health conditions and general health & fitness topics that don't fall under existing forum categories.

Knee pain
Old Sat, April 14th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #1
brandonaw

Sex: Male
Stats: 6'4", 220, BF 18%
Default Knee pain

For several weeks, I was training for the Tough Mudder. The race includes a 10 mile run that I was training for with a treadmill.

I started at 2 miles x 3 for a week, going up a quarter mile at a time. I had some aching in my knees which I didn't think anything about because having 210 lbs coming down on each stride probably is a little hard on the knees. It usually went away after a day or so.

When I got 4 miles, I had to quit. My left knee really hurt after my longest run yet. I almost always stretched my hamstrings, quads and calves before running. I warmed up for 5 minutes at slow speed.

The problem is that after two months with no running, my left knee still hurts. I've taken ibuprofen and done no leg lifting and my knee is still a bit tender. The pain is localized in the inner part of the front of knee next to the knee cap. Anybody have experience with long term knee pain?

Any ideas on what should be done? Like I said, doctor's appointment this week for it.

Old Sun, April 15th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Terps01fan2006

Sex: Male

Google "PFPS" otherwise known as runners knee. Pretty much is a dull pain caused by the mis-tracking of your patella tendon over the kneecap. There are multiple causes for this which include, muscle imbalances between quads/hams, weak hips, imporper running shoes/form, too much-too soon.

Treat the all muscles of the leg to recover, you'd be amazed how much all the leg muscles work together and something like a tight calf could have an impact to the muscles in your upper leg. See what the doc says, but it's pretty much a guarantee he will give the textbook "rest, ice and stay off it for a couple weeks" A sports doctor would be your best bet if it doesnt improve.

Also I tend to do single leg exercises for strengthing. Single-leg deadlifts, single-leg squats, wall-sits.