Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

  
Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Nutrition & Supplements

Nutrition & Supplements Food, nutrition and supplements.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Dymatize Protein Shake
Old Wed, April 11th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #1
BigieSmallz
New Member
 
BigieSmallz is offline
Join Date: Apr 7th, 2012
Location: Westside
Posts: 21
Sex: Male
Stats: 5 foot 10 272 lbs
Default Dymatize Protein Shake

I was just wondering if taking this shake that has Casein and Whey in it if it's acceptable to replay that with a meal or not? I usually will drink one in the morning for breakfast and then one at night before I go to bed. I have not started to train yet trying to shed the pounds?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote

Old Sun, April 15th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
jmike
Senior Member
 
jmike's Avatar
 
jmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 21st, 2011
Location: Central Mississippi
Posts: 658
Sex: Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigieSmallz View Post
I was just wondering if taking this shake that has Casein and Whey in it if it's acceptable to replay that with a meal or not? I usually will drink one in the morning for breakfast and then one at night before I go to bed. I have not started to train yet trying to shed the pounds?

Thanks
what do you mean "replay with a meal" ?

i like shakes that have cassein and whey in them --- you get the rapid uptake with one and long lasting availability with the other.

i try to take one when i wake up to get my metabolism started ... and i try to take one before i go to bed to have so my body has amino acids to use overnight
__________________
Daily Supplements:
Centrum Under 50
Acidophilus
Tribulus Terrestis - 1,000mg
Fenugreek - 600mg
Beta-Alanine - 1,600mg
DHEA - 25mg
  Reply With Quote

Old Sun, April 15th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #3
FatLenny
Senior Member
 
FatLenny's Avatar
 
FatLenny is offline
Join Date: Apr 2nd, 2011
Location: Halfway between my happy place and la-la land
Age: 40
Posts: 1,222
Sex: Male
Stats: I stand 5' 9". Started at 336 lbs and 49% BF. Currently 241.2 lbs, 25-ish% BF, and still grinding out some serious squats.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmike View Post
what do you mean "replay with a meal" ?
I think he wants to know if protein shakes are usable as a meal replacement.

My opinion is.. it depends. Do they fill you up like a meal? Do they fit into your macros and nutritional plan that way?

If both answers are yes, I would say they are suitable as a meal replacement.
__________________
Transformation Spotlight
Never relent. Never repent.
Squat! | Fat Loss Journal | Progress Pics | Take II | Facebook | Fitocracy | myfitnesspal | My YouTube
  Reply With Quote

Old Sun, April 15th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
jmike
Senior Member
 
jmike's Avatar
 
jmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 21st, 2011
Location: Central Mississippi
Posts: 658
Sex: Male
Default

Lenny makes a good point

what is the point of using protein shakes to replace a meal if you end up binging on non-healthy foods as a result of not eating real food.

most protein shakes are relatively low in calories ... and it is hard to feel full when you are drinking your calories.

i think protein shakes are an excellent tool to increase protein intake and most (not all) are relatively low in fat and carbs.

So there shouldn't be a problem with having a light meal with a protein shake ---- as long as it doesn't push you over your calorie limit.
__________________
Daily Supplements:
Centrum Under 50
Acidophilus
Tribulus Terrestis - 1,000mg
Fenugreek - 600mg
Beta-Alanine - 1,600mg
DHEA - 25mg
  Reply With Quote

Old Mon, April 16th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #5
scohen158
Senior Member
 
scohen158 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2nd, 2005
Location: Mission, KS
Age: 32
Posts: 407
Sex: Male
Stats: 6ft 174.6 lbs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmike View Post
Lenny makes a good point

what is the point of using protein shakes to replace a meal if you end up binging on non-healthy foods as a result of not eating real food.

most protein shakes are relatively low in calories ... and it is hard to feel full when you are drinking your calories.

i think protein shakes are an excellent tool to increase protein intake and most (not all) are relatively low in fat and carbs.

So there shouldn't be a problem with having a light meal with a protein shake ---- as long as it doesn't push you over your calorie limit.
I use them as my first meal of the day around 6:00am I have 2 scoops of Dymatize and add it to 16oz of Skim Milk for right around 400 calories. I am never hungry before my 9 am meal. I eat 5-6 meals a day though so they aren't that big individually but when you eat every 2-3 hours you are up you rarely feel hungry.
  Reply With Quote

Old Mon, April 16th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #6
jmike
Senior Member
 
jmike's Avatar
 
jmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 21st, 2011
Location: Central Mississippi
Posts: 658
Sex: Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scohen158 View Post
I use them as my first meal of the day around 6:00am I have 2 scoops of Dymatize and add it to 16oz of Skim Milk for right around 400 calories. I am never hungry before my 9 am meal. I eat 5-6 meals a day though so they aren't that big individually but when you eat every 2-3 hours you are up you rarely feel hungry.

i do something similar -- i wake up at 6pm and have a shake -- it does well to curb my appetite for my first real meal of the day

hard to eat light when the first meal of the day is dinner
__________________
Daily Supplements:
Centrum Under 50
Acidophilus
Tribulus Terrestis - 1,000mg
Fenugreek - 600mg
Beta-Alanine - 1,600mg
DHEA - 25mg
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 PM.


Facebook   Twitter   RSS

Copyright 2004 - 2014, John Stone Fitness LLC