Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Nutrition & Supplements

Nutrition & Supplements Food, nutrition and supplements.

Dymatize Protein Shake
Old Wed, April 11th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #1
BigieSmallz

Sex: Male
Stats: 5 foot 10 272 lbs
Default Dymatize Protein Shake

I was just wondering if taking this shake that has Casein and Whey in it if it's acceptable to replay that with a meal or not? I usually will drink one in the morning for breakfast and then one at night before I go to bed. I have not started to train yet trying to shed the pounds?

Thanks

Old Sun, April 15th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
jmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigieSmallz View Post
I was just wondering if taking this shake that has Casein and Whey in it if it's acceptable to replay that with a meal or not? I usually will drink one in the morning for breakfast and then one at night before I go to bed. I have not started to train yet trying to shed the pounds?

Thanks
what do you mean "replay with a meal" ?

i like shakes that have cassein and whey in them --- you get the rapid uptake with one and long lasting availability with the other.

i try to take one when i wake up to get my metabolism started ... and i try to take one before i go to bed to have so my body has amino acids to use overnight
Tribulus Terrestis - 1,000mg
Fenugreek - 600mg
Beta-Alanine - 1,600mg
DHEA - 25mg

Old Sun, April 15th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #3
FatLenny

Stats: I stand 5' 9". Started at 336 lbs and 49% BF. Currently 241.2 lbs, 25-ish% BF, and still grinding out some serious squats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmike View Post
what do you mean "replay with a meal" ?
I think he wants to know if protein shakes are usable as a meal replacement.

My opinion is.. it depends. Do they fill you up like a meal? Do they fit into your macros and nutritional plan that way?

If both answers are yes, I would say they are suitable as a meal replacement.

Old Sun, April 15th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
jmike

Lenny makes a good point

what is the point of using protein shakes to replace a meal if you end up binging on non-healthy foods as a result of not eating real food.

most protein shakes are relatively low in calories ... and it is hard to feel full when you are drinking your calories.

i think protein shakes are an excellent tool to increase protein intake and most (not all) are relatively low in fat and carbs.

So there shouldn't be a problem with having a light meal with a protein shake ---- as long as it doesn't push you over your calorie limit.
Fenugreek - 600mg
Beta-Alanine - 1,600mg
DHEA - 25mg

Old Mon, April 16th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #5
scohen158

Stats: 6ft 174.6 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmike View Post
Lenny makes a good point

what is the point of using protein shakes to replace a meal if you end up binging on non-healthy foods as a result of not eating real food.

most protein shakes are relatively low in calories ... and it is hard to feel full when you are drinking your calories.

i think protein shakes are an excellent tool to increase protein intake and most (not all) are relatively low in fat and carbs.

So there shouldn't be a problem with having a light meal with a protein shake ---- as long as it doesn't push you over your calorie limit.
I use them as my first meal of the day around 6:00am I have 2 scoops of Dymatize and add it to 16oz of Skim Milk for right around 400 calories. I am never hungry before my 9 am meal. I eat 5-6 meals a day though so they aren't that big individually but when you eat every 2-3 hours you are up you rarely feel hungry.

Old Mon, April 16th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #6
jmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by scohen158 View Post
I use them as my first meal of the day around 6:00am I have 2 scoops of Dymatize and add it to 16oz of Skim Milk for right around 400 calories. I am never hungry before my 9 am meal. I eat 5-6 meals a day though so they aren't that big individually but when you eat every 2-3 hours you are up you rarely feel hungry.

i do something similar -- i wake up at 6pm and have a shake -- it does well to curb my appetite for my first real meal of the day

hard to eat light when the first meal of the day is dinner
Fenugreek - 600mg
Beta-Alanine - 1,600mg
DHEA - 25mg