Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Main Fitness Forums > Introductions & Advice For Beginners

Introductions & Advice For Beginners New to the forums and want to introduce yourself? This is the place. Confused about fat loss, eating right and/or weight training and don't know where to begin? Start by reading the "sticky" posts at the top of this forum.

Eating Habits.
Old Mon, April 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1
BigieSmallz

Sex: Male
Stats: 5 foot 10 272 lbs
Default Eating Habits.

Hey guys and ladies, I am new here kind of. I have been reading the forums for over a year now and I figured it is time to give this a shot. I just now read John's story and it sounds just like my own but I am a bit heavier and smaller. I now want to change my eating habits and I downloaded Myfitnesspal app on my phone, It works wonders. I have never counted calories or watched what I ate. So now it is telling me that I can have about 1900 calories a day to loose 2 lbs a day with activity. I walk at-least 13 miles a week which I know is not a lot but hey... I am looking for advise on some low calorie food that I can eat throughout the day. Today for example I had an orange, 1 cup of cottage cheese, 1 piece of cooked ham and a dinner roll with a teaspoon of mustered on the bread. I have NEVER measured my food at all lol. I am looking for advice on what to eat suggestions? Food menus anything really to keep me at or around 1700 calories a day. I plan on taking a shake on here in about an hour then calling it good for today.

Any suggestions would be helpful, And thanks to you guys for all input.
Thank you John to for putting this helpful wonderful site up for all of us. I enjoy reading your blogs everyday.

-JR

Old Tue, April 10th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #2
Robert2006

I'm a firm believer in eating what you like. Trying to force yourself to eat food you don't like going to make things that much harder. The thing to do isn't to change everything you eat but start paying serious attention to portion control.

Try to avoid empty calories. Limit the amount of calorie dense foods. But in general all you need to do is control the amount of food.

So what do you like? Fruits,veggies? Oatmeal?

The better online calorie tracking sites let you adjust portion sizes. You can then see how much control you really have.

Old Tue, April 10th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #3
BigieSmallz

I have been digging a lot of fruits lately, I love cottage cheese, I am just wondering on like meals to eat. It seems I miss breakfast most of the time which I know is bad but it's a learning process. I found myself starving last night so I had 1 piece of cooked ham with a teaspoon of musterd on it with a cup of cottage cheese. That is what I ate. Like I said I can eat the same thing over again that does not bother me I have been trying to watch my calorie intake and the portions of things I eat. I could really use a wendy's double cheese right now but wont do it!!!!

Old Thu, April 12th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Buttersweet

Sex: Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigieSmallz View Post
I have been digging a lot of fruits lately, I love cottage cheese, I am just wondering on like meals to eat. It seems I miss breakfast most of the time which I know is bad but it's a learning process. I found myself starving last night so I had 1 piece of cooked ham with a teaspoon of musterd on it with a cup of cottage cheese. That is what I ate. Like I said I can eat the same thing over again that does not bother me I have been trying to watch my calorie intake and the portions of things I eat. I could really use a wendy's double cheese right now but wont do it!!!!
if you have read the stickies on nutrition, try to make a meal plan for one day and post it here. that way it will be much easier to give advice on what you should or shouldn't do.
one thing i can say is that you should stop skipping breakfast.

Old Fri, April 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #5
digitalnebula

Quote:
I can have about 1900 calories a day to loose 2 lbs a day with activity.

Just to set your expectations right.....this is not sustainable...
2 or 3 pounds a week is much more realistic....for the long term that is...

Quote:
I walk at-least 13 miles a week which I know is not a lot but hey...
That's way more than most! Good job!

Old Fri, April 13th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #6
BigieSmallz

So I was told what I have been eating. This is pretty much what I have been eating for the past week. I weighed 272 last week and today I weighed myself at 263.9 lbs.

9am: Dymatize Protein Shake
10:30: Orange
12:30: Chicken breast grilled with mustard or a Veggie Burger
15:00: 1 cup of cottage cheese
20:00: Usually the opposite of the lunch or a 6 in whole wheat sub ham/turkey cheese/mustard.

Its been on an average of about 1000 calories a day which I know already is not enough but. I have a hard time trying to find new things. I used to only eat 2x a day that were huge. And a lot of bread

Old Fri, April 13th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #7
digitalnebula

Yeah....you have a lot of work to do on your eating....

Double your calories and try to distribute those cals somewhat evenly over 4 or 5 meals....some even do 6...

Old Fri, April 13th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Buttersweet

Sex: Female

can you cook? what about eggs, fish, vegetables? there are so many simple and quick meals one can make. you already ARE doing fine but that diet is far from perfect. i suppose the easiest way to start is to think of what you normally like to eat and then make it healthier or 'cleaner'. like an omelette, but then make it with egg whites instead of whole eggs. pancakes, but make them out of oats and egg whites, add fresh fruit instead of a syrup. you can add many things to cottage cheese to change the taste. what about an oatmeal in the morning? yogurt? you'll have to cut down bread, but for a start buy whole grain bread, it makes you feel fuller, so you won't need as much as white bread.
there's no way around it, you'll simply have to work harder to get it all done, but once you see that your body needs to be treated well, and you realize that food is fuel, you might enjoy the whole process of planning and preparing healthy meals. nobody can do it instead of you, unless you hire a professional to tell you when and what you should eat, and a cook to do it all
it gets easier quickly. you're making progress, and that's great

Old Thu, April 19th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #9
BigieSmallz

So since I started to count calories and watch what I eat I have managed to loose 12 lbs so far in my transformation to a new me. I ate like crap last night with a couple slices of pie "pizza" but overall I think I am doing well. I am currently not lifting yet but getting the urge to and it will be soon. The calories I have been keep around still the 1000-1300 mark it seems but not eating cookies,fried food, candy nothing it hard. Oh and pop is out too YAY.

Old Thu, April 19th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #10
scohen158

Stats: 6ft 174.6 lbs

Quote:
So since I started to count calories and watch what I eat I have managed to loose 12 lbs so far in my transformation to a new me. I ate like crap last night with a couple slices of pie "pizza" but overall I think I am doing well. I am currently not lifting yet but getting the urge to and it will be soon. The calories I have been keep around still the 1000-1300 mark it seems but not eating cookies,fried food, candy nothing it hard. Oh and pop is out too YAY.
Congrats on the 12 lbs. Before you start working out I suggest you up your calories just keep them healthy and try to get 1g of protein for every lb of lean muscle mass. I would honestly suggest like 1800 calories without working out and maybe 2200 with working out. For a full grown man 1000-1300 calories isn't healthy or sustainable in the long run.