Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Main Fitness Forums > Weight/Strength Training & Bulking

Weight/Strength Training & Bulking Weight/strength training exercises, programs, techniques.

Total Body Training
Old Sun, March 18th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #1
mastover

Sex: Male
Stats: Pro Natural Bodybuilder
Default Total Body Training

I get many PM's and emails from people who do not want to do much cardio and eat many carbs. They cannot find the balance to achieve their goals. This workout is going to be effective only if your diet is on point. Protein intake, relative to your personal stats, should be high (about 1.5 grams per pound of lean mass) and healthy fats should also hover around 50% or more, of your daily intake. Carbs should come from veggies. After about 8 weeks, you should introduce starchy carbs into the mix (for about two weeks) and you will see continued gains in muscle while BF remains stable.

Monday:
Squats: 1 x 20
Pullover and Press: 2 x 10
Pull Up: 20 total reps (completed in as many sets as necessary)
Standing Overhead Press: 2 x 10
Barbell Curl: 2 x 10
Seated Calf Raise: 2 x 6-8

Wednesday:
Stiff Leg Deadlift: 2 x 15
Barbell Row: 2 x 10
Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3 x 8
Incline DB Curl: 2 x 8
Weighted Dips: 3x6-10

Friday:
Leg Press: 3 x 10 (3 sec down, explode up)
Explosive BB Shrugs: 2 x 10
Flat DB Bench Press: 2 x 10
DB Hammer Curl: 2 x 10
Lying DB Tricep Ext: 2 x 8
Standing Calf Raise: 2 x 6-8

Most sets, after a warmup set or two, should be taken to failure. Increase weights once you are able to hit the highest reps specified,

If you can dedicate 8 weeks with this routine, expect to see excellent results with strength, BF reduction, and a leaner, fuller physique.

Old Wed, March 28th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #2
mike45

mastover,

I have been doing these workout for around a week to switch things up. However, I do cardio 3-4 times a week and eat carbs. Would you still recomend this workout if I am doing cardio and eating carbs? (I have been eating a mostly clean diet)

Old Wed, March 28th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #3
mastover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
mastover,

I have been doing these workout for around a week to switch things up. However, I do cardio 3-4 times a week and eat carbs. Would you still recomend this workout if I am doing cardio and eating carbs? (I have been eating a mostly clean diet)
Well, I can't answer that directly since you give no personal stats, nor what your macro's are like. Monitor your progress each week and make changes where necessary with the diet and cardio to keep moving in the right direction, whatever your goals may be...

Old Wed, March 28th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #4
mike45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastover View Post
Well, I can't answer that directly since you give no personal stats, nor what your macro's are like. Monitor your progress each week and make changes where necessary with the diet and cardio to keep moving in the right direction, whatever your goals may be...
I just realized how vague my last post was. I'm around 5' 11', 178 pounds. I was up to around 185 when I started dieting a month ago. My goal right now is to cut fat, get back into the 165-170 lb range where I am most comfortable. I would estimate I'm eating 40% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat right now. I have tried lowering carbs at times but I have a 2 hour grappling workout 3x a week, and I find myself overly tired without carbs.
Edit-I am not sure of my bodyfat, but I have been lifting for around 5-6 years and I know that I start to see the definition I want when I get to the 165 lb range.

Last edited by mike45; Wed, March 28th, 2012 at 02:46 PM..

Old Wed, March 28th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #5
mastover

Quote:
I just realized how vague my last post was. I'm around 5' 11', 178 pounds. I was up to around 185 when I started dieting a month ago. My goal right now is to cut fat, get back into the 165-170 lb range where I am most comfortable. I would estimate I'm eating 40% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat right now. I have tried lowering carbs at times but I have a 2 hour grappling workout 3x a week, and I find myself overly tired without carbs.
Edit-I am not sure of my bodyfat, but I have been lifting for around 5-6 years and I know that I start to see the definition I want when I get to the 165 lb range.
Yes, but you could be eating 700 calories a day and doing a 40-30-30. You should establish your macronutrient requirements first. For example, if you needed 220 grams PRO, 150 grams CARBS, 100 grams FAT, then by default your pro/carb/fat ratio's would approximately come out to 35-25-38.

Old Wed, March 28th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #6
mike45

I put in a typical days diet and I came out with these results:

CALORIES FAT (41%) CARBS (44%) PROTEIN (25%)
2174.8 100g 239.4g 141g

I'm surprised how low my protein intake is compared to carbs, I will work on increasing my protein intake. Here is what my diet looks like right now:

Breakfast:
Banana, 4 eggs, coffee

Lunch: White rice, beans, tomatoes, onions, one apple

Snack: Peanut Butter and Jelly on whole wheat bread, coffee

(workout)

Dinner: Tuna, Olive oil, orange, almonds

Snack: 1 scoop nitrean in water

All I drink throughout the day is water, and the 2 cups of coffee, sometimes a cup of green tea as well. I take a multivitamin and fish oil.

Do you have any suggestions, or anything wrong with my diet that sticks out?

Thanks for your replies mastover, I know you are very knowedgable about nutrition and everything.

Old Wed, March 28th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #7
mastover

Quote:
I put in a typical days diet and I came out with these results:

CALORIES FAT (41%) CARBS (44%) PROTEIN (25%)
2174.8 100g 239.4g 141g

I'm surprised how low my protein intake is compared to carbs, I will work on increasing my protein intake. Here is what my diet looks like right now:

Breakfast:
Banana, 4 eggs, coffee

Lunch: White rice, beans, tomatoes, onions, one apple

Snack: Peanut Butter and Jelly on whole wheat bread, coffee

(workout)

Dinner: Tuna, Olive oil, orange, almonds

Snack: 1 scoop nitrean in water

All I drink throughout the day is water, and the 2 cups of coffee, sometimes a cup of green tea as well. I take a multivitamin and fish oil.

Do you have any suggestions, or anything wrong with my diet that sticks out?

Thanks for your replies mastover, I know you are very knowedgable about nutrition and everything.
I would increase protein by 1.5 grams per pound of body weight and drop carbs. You virtually zero protein in your lunch and first snack, and I would have a protein source (with no added fats) pre and post workout. I'd also be using 4 grams plain creatine monohydrate per day with your meal of choice.

Old Wed, March 28th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #8
mike45

Thanks, I will make those changes starting tomorrow.

Old Thu, August 9th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #9
tensdanny

I've done two of these workouts now and they are brutal (in a good way)! This workout is a really nice change of pace from starting strength. The longer sets are really challenging and I'm really feeling doms. It's great! I feel like I'm hitting muscles that I normally don't hit, either.

For example, I've never done pullovers prior to this. My triceps are pretty ticked off at you Mastover It's awesome!

I will keep you guys posted. I intend to do this for at least 8 weeks. I'm 3 workouts in now!

Old Fri, August 10th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #10
mastover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny View Post
I've done two of these workouts now and they are brutal (in a good way)! This workout is a really nice change of pace from starting strength. The longer sets are really challenging and I'm really feeling doms. It's great! I feel like I'm hitting muscles that I normally don't hit, either.

For example, I've never done pullovers prior to this. My triceps are pretty ticked off at you Mastover It's awesome!

I will keep you guys posted. I intend to do this for at least 8 weeks. I'm 3 workouts in now!

Too many people go all over the place with routines. Impatience, boredom, etc.

People tell me they are bored with doing the same routine every week... Do you know what is boring??? Not keeping a training journal and seeing no increases in strength every week. This includes the ladies. I know of many women who put resistance training on the back burner and make low intensity cardio (treadmill, bike, etc.) a priority. WRONG!!

Tens.... This routine will give you the best results ever. I often go to this routine immediately after a show, where strength and mass gains deserve a kick start after a lengthy period of dieting.

Fat loss is purely the function of the diet. Another important aspect that too many people have no concept of.

Old Fri, August 31st, 2012, 10:52 AM   #11
tensdanny

The long sets of heavy deadlifts are insane! My whole body feels it in the best way possible.

Historically, I have been a big fan 5 rep sets. This is an entirely different type of lifting for me and is teaching me to really hit failure. In just about every set my entire body starts to shake and I'm forced to look failure in the face.

I've failed many times in 5 rep sets, but this has a completely different feel of extreme exhaustion to it. It's quite nice!

4 weeks in and I'm a big fan of this routine. I have been eating everything in sight on a bulk while doing this and feeling great!

Old Sun, September 2nd, 2012, 04:40 PM   #12
angelica7584

Thank you! I will follow your routine!

Old Wed, October 17th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Iowa

Stats: 5'10"

Been following this for a month now.

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/s...ad.php?t=53005

Planning to go one more month at least. I have noticed big gains in my lifts and my chest and back are definitely expanding. Looking forward to the next month.