Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Other Forums > Fitness Journals

Fitness Journals Chronicle your progress, or just see how others are doing.

Living For Patrick
Old Tue, February 21st, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1
pemrich

Sex: Male
Stats: 5'10; 249 lbs as of 02/21/2012. My Goal: 195 lbs and 12-14% BF
Default Living For Patrick

Here is the start of my journal and the start of my new trek towards a healthy life.

A little bit about me: I am 34 yrs old and currently weigh about 250 lbs. I am not sure about my BF and measurements but will be taking them tomorrow morning for my first official measurements. I am a husband to a beautiful and supportive wife and the father to an adorable three year old daughter.

A little over three years ago, my wife gave birth to two amazing children; however, they were born 9 weeks early and both very small. Our daughter was less than three lbs and our son was 1 lb 7 Oz. Sadly, our son died 25 days after he was born due to prematurity issues. Our world was turned upside down in an instant and we are still dealing with the grief of losing a child but I am so fortunate that our daughter is healthy and shows absolutely no signs of being born early. Hence the title of this journal "Living For Patrick." I am first and foremost living for myself as I have realized that I need to be healthy for selfish reasons first which will in turn allow me to be a better husband, dad and person. Secondly, I am living for Little Patrick and the life that he never had. I want to be the best person that I can be to honor his legacy and continue our charitable work on his behalf.

I have always had an all or nothing approach and that is something that I hope to use in my favor over the next few weeks and months as I begin to recondition my body and mind.

My goals are simple and to the point:
Eat a healthy 5-6 meals per day with about a 40/40/20 split
Weight train 3 times per week
Fasted Cardio 4 times per week
Stop drinking soda
Update my journal on a regular basis
Follow through with my goals
Focus on one meal and one day at a time

I certainly have more specific goals as far as my weight and BF go and will update that later in the week with my official measurements.

I am looking forward to this journey and the results that are awaiting me.

Patrick

Old Tue, February 21st, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
k96ag04

Welcome!

I will not even begin to pretend to understand the difficulty of losing a child, and good on you for putting that out there. I firmly believe that we need to be honest with those around us to achieve our physical goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemrich View Post
I am first and foremost living for myself as I have realized that I need to be healthy for selfish reasons first which will in turn allow me to be a better husband, dad and person.
I dont think that putting yourself first makes you selfish. I think that it goes hand in hand with being a good husband, dad, and person. If you dont put yourself first, then you cannot put those important to you first either. I learned this the hard way myself and there are more details on my journal.

As for being here, I look forward to seeing your regular posts and the progress you make.

All the best,
Adam

Old Wed, February 22nd, 2012, 05:38 PM   #3
pemrich

Thanks for checking in Adam.

I took my measurements this morning and moving forward I will be taking them every Wednesday so below are my official starting stats.

Weight: 249.2
BF% 25.2--This was an online calculation using four measurements plus my weight and age. Next week I will dig out my calipers and use those as well.
Waist 43.75
Hips 45.75
Forearms 12.50
Arms 15.25
Thighs 26.50
Calves 16.75
Chest 44.75

The BF measures that I have 62.8 lbs of Fat and 186.4 LBS of lean mass so that is something that I will definitely be keeping an eye on.

I have wrapped up four of my planned meals and will have one more this evening so it is looking like a great day from a nutrition point. This week I am completely focusing on eating healthy and then will be getting in the gym on Monday for my first weight training session. I will begin the cardio portion tomorrow morning with some fasted cardio.

I also have not consumed any soda today which is huge for me because I was typically drinking about 60 Oz of Mountain Dew a day. Dropping soda completely will be a big boost for me as that stuff is full of nothing but sugars and sodium.

Until tomorrow, I'm out.

Old Mon, April 9th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #4
pemrich

OK, so I did not exactly start my fitness trek as planned, however, I am doing something about that today.

I previously mentioned that I have an all or nothing complex and that is one of my problems. I will spend hours trying to come up with the perfect meal plan and during this time I continue to make poor decisions because my meal plan is not ready. I finally decided that I don't need a perfect plan to get started. It will not really matter that much if I eat 5.5 Oz of chicken instead of 5. As long as I am eating healthy, natural foods I will be heading in the right direction.

So I do have a rough meal plan that I am following that consists of 6 meals a day and approximatley 2200 calories with around a 40/40/20 split. Five out of my six meals are specific and dinner with the family will consist of a lean protein (Salmon tonight) along with veggies and a salad.

Yesterday, my wife and I cooked a bunch of healthy food and planned out the menu for the week. Last night, I prepared all of my meals for today at work and they are sitting in a cooler right next to my desk.

My goals for this week are simple. I will run today, Wednesday and Saturday and I will weight train on Tuesday and Friday. I will not consume any junk food and will not drink any soda.

Day 1 is off to a good start and I will be successful today.

Old Fri, April 13th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
pemrich

I have had a decent week so far. I got my workout in on Tuesday and will be going today during lunch and I got both of my cardio sessions in as well. I am still pretty sore from Tuesday's workout so today will be interesting.

My eating has been much better than normal. It certainly was not perfect but it is heading in the right direction. One of the toughest things I have found out is that it is difficult to go from eating 3 meals a day to 6 meals a day. My first three meals are not a problem but # 4 and # 6 are tough to do because I am already full. Next week I am going to work on getting Meals 1-3, 5 & 6 consumed and then work in my afternoon meal the week after that.

I also need to eliminate some of the sodium that I am taking in. I use hot sauce on two of my meals which I will eliminate and I plan on changing my salad dressing to a balsamic vinegar/olive oil combo.

Also, no soda this week as well. That is a big deal for me as I usually have 2-3 sodas per day.

My goals for the weekend are to continue to eat healthy meals and to not consume any alcohol.

Make it a good day.