Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Main Fitness Forums > Introductions & Advice For Beginners

Introductions & Advice For Beginners New to the forums and want to introduce yourself? This is the place. Confused about fat loss, eating right and/or weight training and don't know where to begin? Start by reading the "sticky" posts at the top of this forum.

Need Suggestions- Pics inside
Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 10:42 AM   #1
mattbau43

Sex: Male
Default Need Suggestions- Pics inside

Hello,
I finally was able to get some pics here. Here is my story.

I began 2009 at 295 pounds (6'8 tall). I dropped to 270 by september through just dieting. In Sept I began lifting and mixing in some cardio. I lost another 15 pounds for a total loss of 40 pounds in 2009. I am currently at 255.

I know that I have a good deal of fat left to lose, but at this point I dont think that I can spare losing any muscle. As you can see, I do not have a ton of muscle.

I work out hard and heavy 5 times per week followed by 15-20 mins of cardio. I enjoy lifting but strongly dislike cardio.

If I bulk or cut, I will probably keep my lifting as is for now. I am enjoying it and seeing gains.

Here are my questions:

-Do I "cut" or bulk based upon my pics?

- I am eating clean with 250g of Protein/day, but I need to know what to do with my calories. At 6'8, 255 I need approximately 4300 calories per day (based upon several online calcs) to stay at my current weight with the exercise included. I was eating 2200 during the last three months and find it hard to imagine that I will lose fat at 3500 cals per day. I would LOVE some input here as to what I should do and expect.

-BF% guesses please

Thanks in advance for taking the time to assist me. I would be happy to keep everyone updated in my journey if you would like.
Attached Images

Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 10:55 AM   #2
petvan

Stats: 6'4, 190.. Living like a caveman.

Lots of smarter folks here who'll contribute some good advice I'm sure.

My thoughts however would probably start with continuing what you are doing. If you are seeing some strength gains at 2500 cals and losing weight at the same time, I'd do that, for at least another 20lbs. It seems to me from the pictures that you carry fat around the middle like most of us, and I think if you up the cal's now, you'll likely struggle with adding more size there.

Sounds a lot like what you are doing is working and I'd keep going.

That said, maybe up the tempo of your lifting a bit and lose the cardio piece if it is bugging you. Do 5 mins or so of warmup cardio, and maybe 5 mins to cool down (assuming come out of lifting with a high heart rate and need to help it come down).

Just my .02, but congrats on the progress so far.

Pete

Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Ecrivain

Stats: better every moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbau43 View Post
Here are my questions:

-Do I "cut" or bulk based upon my pics?

- I am eating clean with 250g of Protein/day, but I need to know what to do with my calories. At 6'8, 255 I need approximately 4300 calories per day (based upon several online calcs) to stay at my current weight with the exercise included. I was eating 2200 during the last three months and find it hard to imagine that I will lose fat at 3500 cals per day. I would LOVE some input here as to what I should do and expect.
Try this calculator. It's the most accurate, realistic one that I've found.

You could keep cutting for a few months, if you're in a rush to get some more fat off. But I think you're right that you'll be happier with your physique in the end if you add more muscle. And that's really the goal, isn't it?

My suggestion is to eat at or just slightly below maintenance. Even with the best BMR calculator, you'll need to track and make adjustments to find out what really works for you. I think a nice slow recomposition, rather than a drastic cut and bulk cycle, will give you the results you're looking for. Keep lifting hard and heavy. Even if the scale barely moves, 255 lbs of mostly muscle on a 6'8 frame will look great.

Congratulations on all the progress you've made. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 01:26 PM   #4
mattbau43

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming!

Also, any BF% guesses?

Guess
Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Moveon

Stats: Height 72" (182 cm) Weight 162.5 lbs
Thumbs up Guess

A BF estimate is tough given your height. I'm saying 20%.

Here's a calculator that will give you a measure. You could use this as a relative measure over time to test and see if you are loosing fat/gaining muscle/or both.

Link: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

GREAT work!

Old Thu, April 8th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #6
mattbau43

Hello,

I wanted to update this thread. On Jan 3 I was 255. Today, I am 239. I have lost 16 pounds so far.

A few questions:

1) I am getting thin, very thin but the damn stomach fat will NOT leave. It is almost the only place where I have fat. Do I just keep dieting to lose this? My goal when I began was to lose that stomach fat. I have made great progress but not met that goal yet.

2) If i decide to bulk will I gain the fat right back in the ab area if i am eating properly? Or will the fat gain be spread out?

3) I have been in fairly serious diet mode since mid-Jan. I completely swore off booze for the remainder of 2010. I am in desperate need of a refeed which I wil do this weekend. What is everyone's thoughts on refeeding in regard to Leptin? Cheat days where you binge to reset? Eat above maintenance for a week to reset? Anyone with experience?

4) How is my progress? Is it good for three months? Should I have expected more or did I overachieve?
Attached Images

Last edited by mattbau43; Thu, April 8th, 2010 at 01:55 PM..

Old Thu, April 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #7
kurent

1.) I would cut some more, but not much. The stomach fat will be the harderst to get rid off. I think you will need to bulk and cut again and maybe even that will not do the trick but it will improve it.

2.) If your genetics are telling the body to store more fat in the stomach area you will gain more there.

3.) Drink some alcohol, it can actually be good for you. Go for quality not quantity.

4.) It's great! Try to take each picture in the same position so you can track smaller changes.

Old Tue, April 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Rogozhin

Stats: 6'6", 269lbs, Cutting, Norwegian.

You're built like I am, and you store fat in the same place, but you've done great work so far. I don't think I would change anything, that last bit of tummy fat will be the last to go. I also wouldn't add any alcohol to your nutritional plan. You're in this for the long haul, so just be patient, keep your diet in check, lift heavy, and drink your water.