Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Nutrition & Supplements

Nutrition & Supplements Food, nutrition and supplements.

3-4 Whole Boiled Eggs a Day. Too crazy?
Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #1
fernando

Sex: Male
Stats: 1.72m (5'6), 69kg (152lbs)
Angry 3-4 Whole Boiled Eggs a Day. Too crazy?

Hey Folks.

So I've finally reached my top patience limit and cannot for the love of all that's good and pure keep separating egg yolks from egg whites. I can't, I just can't keep breaking 6 eggs a day and trying to get a perfect separation between yolk/white. I just HATE IT!

So, I've decided to say Frak That and start eating whole eggs. Only instead of 6 a day, 3-4 whole boiled eggs. Maybe try it for a month and then go get checked out and see if I'm not about to die from high cholesterol. I don't have an history of that problem, and last time I got checked I was told by the doctor I could eat eggs with peace of mind, but we didn't say 4 a day.

The one thing I'm actually more worried about is saturated fat. Four boiled whole egg (50g each) contain 6g of saturated fat. 120g of lean chicken breast contain 1.2g which seems way more acceptable.

What's the saturated fat limit for us bodybuilders newbies (I've actually been lifting/nutritioning (?) for a year and half now)?

'Cos really, I can't keep wasting all that time and money on eggs like that. And no, here where I live (Argentina) there is not egg whites by the carton. They only sell it to industries in like 10kg containers which is ridiculous.

What do you think?

Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #2
George

A lot of what I have seen points to dietary cholesterol not really having much impact on most people's serum cholesterol (the stuff your doctor checks).

As for saturated fat, this is not inherently bad for you. It's actually important for some hormonal function. The big problem is that most people eat too much saturated fat in relation to poly and mono unsaturated. If you've got plenty of poly and mono in your diet, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #3
MannishBoy

I eat somewhere from 6-8 whole eggs a day to to mention cheese and beef, and despite family history of cholesterol problems, by keeping junk carbs and other bad stuff out of my diet for the most part, my blood work is excellent with very low triglycerides, high HDL, and moderate LDL.

George is right about dietary cholesterol not having that big of an affect on serum cholesterol...for most people. Some people are affected much more than others and those probably need to watch dietary saturated fats.

Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #4
NCNBilly

Stats: Cutting 6'1" 180.4@ ~10% (Goal met) Goal:180 @ < 8% (New goal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannishBoy View Post
I eat somewhere from 6-8 whole eggs a day to to mention cheese and beef, and despite family history of cholesterol problems, by keeping junk carbs and other bad stuff out of my diet for the most part, my blood work is excellent with very low triglycerides, high HDL, and moderate LDL.

George is right about dietary cholesterol not having that big of an affect on serum cholesterol...for most people. Some people are affected much more than others and those probably need to watch dietary saturated fats.
+1

Another trick (from Mastover) is to hardboil the eggs and toss the yolks - much easier than separating before they are cooked.

"I want to meet all of you. You'll all hate me so much. ~ohaistranger"

Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #5
witeowl

Sex: Female
Stats: 5'4" Max/Now/Target: 254/191/174

First: If you can "afford" the fat calories, then I don't see any problem in eating 3-4 (or more) whole eggs per day.

BUT... Once the eggs are boiled, it's incredibly easy to separate the yolk from the white. Salted (or "mustarded") egg white is nummy. Or, if you'e frying them, why worry about "perfect" separation? Just get rid of however much yolk you can. I guess I'm not sure how this series of circumstances led to this end result.

Not that it matters, I'm just wondering out loud.

Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #6
KT Monahan

Stats: 5'11" - 200 lbs - @23+% BF

Yeah, with a hard boiled egg, you can just scoop out the yolk and eat the egg white only.

Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #7
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
First: If you can "afford" the fat calories, then I don't see any problem in eating 3-4 (or more) whole eggs per day.

BUT... Once the eggs are boiled, it's incredibly easy to separate the yolk from the white. Salted (or "mustarded") egg white is nummy. Or, if you'e frying them, why worry about "perfect" separation? Just get rid of however much yolk you can. I guess I'm not sure how this series of circumstances led to this end result.

Not that it matters, I'm just wondering out loud.
I'm actually falling short with calories so I'm in fact looking for some more calories from whenever I can get them. I still can't find a way to eat all the food needed for a bulk.

As for how circumstances led to this end result, haha, it's just that, it's been a year and a half of cracking 6-8 eggs a day, carefully separating the yolks from the whites, and even after all that work, I don't even get that much calories from it, which I need. I tried getting the liquid egg whites, pouring 500g of that into my pan from a bottle would've been OSOM, but we don't have that here. Bummer.

And so, since I need to eat more, but I can't physically eat that much (I feel like I'm going to explode or something), I need more calorie dense foods, and whole eggs seem to be great.

MannishBoy, great to hear of someone who eats that many whole eggs a day. OSOM, I also think I can get away with all the cholesterol stuff too.

And, I know it's easier to separate the yolk from the white then the egg's boiled, but I guess I'm tired of the some of the compulsive behaviors like taking the time to split eggs so that they aren't "bad" or something. I don't do that kind of thing with ANY other foods.

Ok, so I'm definitely gonna try this. I'll even save some money off of it. A dozen eggs will be used much more wisely now.

Thanks dudes!

Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #8
boots

Stats: 5' 9"

I eat three whole eggs every morning and have for years. It hasn't impacted my lipid profile in any negative manner.

Like you, I just couldn't hack separating and tossing the yolks every morning!

Old Wed, July 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #9
Azure

Just eat the whole egg.

I eat 8-10 eggs on most days, and have for almost half a year now. My lipid profile has gotten better. Probably because I started cutting out bad carbs.

Old Mon, July 20th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #10
angell

Stats: 5.7", 162 - Bulking

One gram of fat contains 9 kcal, while protein "only" contains 4 kcal. So if you put some good fat (I don't consider egg bad, it contains SO much good things for you in form of vitamins etc.) it's easyer to reach you goals. But watch the macros a little bit, as it's easy to overdo it.

Old Wed, July 22nd, 2009, 09:16 AM   #11
Jaer

Stats: Height: 5'10" Weight: 215 Bodyfat: Good question. Update soon.

Don't fear dietary fat. Except Trans Fat--that is like the Frankenstein's Monster of fat, and we are all allowed to be afraid of monsters. It's only natural to fear the unnatural.

Old Fri, July 24th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #12
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaer View Post
Don't fear dietary fat. Except Trans Fat--that is like the Frankenstein's Monster of fat, and we are all allowed to be afraid of monsters. It's only natural to fear the unnatural.
I don't really fear dietary fat in general. Since I "discovered" mono and polyunsaturated fats, I try to "enjoy" fats as much as I can. And I know trans fat are crab so I don't even worry with those.

It's just saturated fat that I'm "concerned" with. I know they have their role, but I also know it's not good to get a high intake on them. I just don't know what "high" is in this scenario.

I've been having my 4 whole eggs for diner for quite a few days now, and so far so good. And gotta say, whole eggs are way nicer than just the egg whites. hehe

Old Tue, July 28th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #13
Phoenix

Stats: 5'10 1/2", 190lb about 9% bf

Eggs glorious eggs, I eat about 6 whole a day. Cheap and tasty. When you fry them up for brekky you can remove the cooked yokes and give them to your dog if you have one as a treat if you are that worried about it.

My 61kg/134lb Transformation Thread

My Current Journal

My Transformation Spotlight of the Month - May 2009

Old Tue, July 28th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #14
john_e_turner_ii

All of you have me craving eggs for breakfast now instead of my usual protein/oatmeal drink. I LOVE EGGS! I think I will work my diet around 4 whole eggs in the morning. Sounds so good.