Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Gym Equipment

Gym Equipment Cardio, strength training and other gym equipment questions and reviews.

Ironmaster IM2000 Self Spotting System
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #1
malnar

Sex: Male
Default Ironmaster IM2000 Self Spotting System

I've found one of these for sale locally and it looks like a nice machine. I've read great things about their benches and I like the ability to do vertical leg presses. The Pec Dec mounts behind the unit so no issues with the space inside the machine.

Anyone have any experience with these that you can share?

I'm very interested in build quality and the smith safety system. I need something failproof as my wife and I both train individually...

Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #2
tsg2513

Quote:
Originally Posted by malnar View Post
I've found one of these for sale locally and it looks like a nice machine. I've read great things about their benches and I like the ability to do vertical leg presses. The Pec Dec mounts behind the unit so no issues with the space inside the machine.

Anyone have any experience with these that you can share?

I'm very interested in build quality and the smith safety system. I need something failproof as my wife and I both train individually...
Yes, I purchased one last month. For starters, the build quality is excellent. 11 Gauge "Commercial Quality" Steel. I have owned a total of six smith machines over the years (all were good high-quality units, 4 of them were with linear bearings) and this is as smooth as any of them. In addition, the lat machine option is great too.

Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #3
malnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsg2513 View Post
For starters, the build quality is excellent. 11 Gauge "Commercial Quality" Steel. I have owned a total of six smith machines over the years (all were good high-quality units, 4 of them were with linear bearings) and this is as smooth as any of them.
Thanks for the quick feedback...I'll move quickly then.

Old Wed, April 22nd, 2009, 06:27 AM   #4
malnar

Turns out it was the IM1000, the older version of the current IM2000.

At first I was disappointed since the bench design isn't as versatile, but after spending 10 minutes seeing how the bench and accessories integrated, I bought it.

This thing is built like a tank and it somehow takes up less space than my Bowflex Ultimate 2. With the pec dec on the back of the unit, I was able to angle it into a corner, still have plenty of space to get to the pec deck and to load weights.

So far I've only done presses with it, and a few demo squats and leg presses and leg extensions but everything felt good. The geometry of the leg extensions and the lack of cable slack / proportional resistance of the bowflex made the leg extensions MUCH easier to do correct form yet do higher weights.

Since it uses a cable attached to the main smith for cable work, the minimum cable exercise is 45 pounds. This hasn't been an issue, but if I had purchased this machine 2 years ago, it would have been more limiting.

All the older accessories still interchange with the new superbench, so I can upgrade that later if i want without repurchasing all the accessories.

Overall, very simple, very solid, great look. I'm VERY happy.

Old Wed, April 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM   #5
tsg2513

Quote:
Originally Posted by malnar View Post
Turns out it was the IM1000, the older version of the current IM2000.

At first I was disappointed since the bench design isn't as versatile, but after spending 10 minutes seeing how the bench and accessories integrated, I bought it.

This thing is built like a tank and it somehow takes up less space than my Bowflex Ultimate 2. With the pec dec on the back of the unit, I was able to angle it into a corner, still have plenty of space to get to the pec deck and to load weights.

So far I've only done presses with it, and a few demo squats and leg presses and leg extensions but everything felt good. The geometry of the leg extensions and the lack of cable slack / proportional resistance of the bowflex made the leg extensions MUCH easier to do correct form yet do higher weights.

Since it uses a cable attached to the main smith for cable work, the minimum cable exercise is 45 pounds. This hasn't been an issue, but if I had purchased this machine 2 years ago, it would have been more limiting.

All the older accessories still interchange with the new superbench, so I can upgrade that later if i want without repurchasing all the accessories.

Overall, very simple, very solid, great look. I'm VERY happy.
Congratulations. It's a great system that will last a long time.