Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Nutrition & Supplements

Nutrition & Supplements Food, nutrition and supplements.

How Much is One Tablespoon of Peanut Butter?
Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 11:43 AM   #1
carddante

Sex: Male
Stats: Height: 6' Weight: 220 lbs BF%: 18.2% Goal: Weight: 200 lbs BF%: 10% Crossfit Total: Squat: 365 Shoulder Press: 165 Deadlift: 355 Total: 885
Default How Much is One Tablespoon of Peanut Butter?

I don't have a scale, otherwise I'd just weigh it out. If a serving is one tbsp, does that mean one level tbsp, one slightly rounded tbsp or one big tbsp? Here is what I mean:

I'm pretty sure it's the second one, but if it IS the first one, I kind of want to know if I'm eating twice as much PB as I should be. Thanks!

My Journal

[BODYSHOP]carddante[/BODYSHOP]

Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM   #2
MannishBoy

Probably the first or somewhere between 1&2. Get a digital scale.

And watch this:

[youtube]JVjWPclrWVY[/youtube]

Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM   #3
carddante

Stats: Height: 6' Weight: 220 lbs BF%: 18.2% Goal: Weight: 200 lbs BF%: 10% Crossfit Total: Squat: 365 Shoulder Press: 165 Deadlift: 355 Total: 885

HOLY CRAP. Okay, I'm going to go buy a scale tonight. Nice video!

My Journal

Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM   #4
leftyx

leftyx is online
Stats: AUG 28, 2012 Wt 148 Bodyfat% 24.1 Abdomen: 36.5 ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by carddante View Post
HOLY CRAP. Okay, I'm going to go buy a scale tonight. Nice video!
Me too. My little spring sensor analog scale is so bad, I could probably weigh my food like they did in teh video and still be off by 25%. I'm going to get a digital scale.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/revitupmx5

Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM   #5
witeowl

Sex: Female
Stats: 5'4" Max/Now/Target: 254/191/174

None of the above. The capacity of a measuring spoon tablespoon (standardized) has nothing to do with the capacity of dinner table tablespoon. They're talking about leveled measuring spoon tablespoons like this:

Now... TELL ME "most" people don't really measure like the video, do they? Do they?!? When resorting to measuring cups (or spoons) , I use a proper set of measuring cups and level them off with a knife if they're not liquid. I just took it for granted that everyone did that.

But yeah, get a digital kitchen scale that's accurate to the gram. Only way to go. Put the jar on the scale, tare it, scoop out until you're at negative 16g. Done.

Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Speedster

Stats: Hi there.

Witeowl your journal link at the bottom says "Athete" instead of "Athlete." Just in case you didn't know.

"Mimes, Ninjas, and Cholesterol: The Silent Killers"

Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 10:36 PM   #7
dejavued

Stats: 5'6'', fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannishBoy View Post

And watch this:

i was just looking for this video the other day.

i think it should be a sticky.

< put in the work >
< renovate, daily >
< be COURAGEOUS >

And I lost the taste for judging right from wrong.
-Blitzen Trapper

Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM   #8
MannishBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejavued View Post
i was just looking for this video the other day.

i think it should be a sticky.
It doesn't show up in Youtube search very easily, so I put it as a favorite on Youtube after about the 3rd time I used JSF to find it in an old post of mine.

Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 11:25 PM   #9
witeowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
Witeowl your journal link at the bottom says "Athete" instead of "Athlete." Just in case you didn't know.
Oops, lol. Can't play that one off as intentional! Thanks.

Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 10:47 AM   #10
jdb-44

Stats: Height: 6'2". Weight: 156 lbs. BF%: ??.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post

When resorting to measuring cups (or spoons) , I use a proper set of measuring cups and level them off with a knife if they're not liquid. I just took it for granted that everyone did that.
Yet another reason I love this place! I have just started incorporating tablespoons of natural PB into my diet and was just eyeballing it. I, too, wondered: "Level? Rounded? Or what???"

It's amazing, the wealth of knowledge here, and how easy it is to find what you're looking for!

Anyway, now I know how to measure my PB! I'm not going the digital scale route, but I think the measuring spoon (which we already have at home) will work fine.

Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM   #11
MannishBoy

A digital scale is invaluable in my kitchen. It saves me from having to wash lots of measuring cups, spoons, etc. I rarely volume measure anything, it's just so much easier to measure it into whatever I'm combining all in one bowl/cup/etc.

Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM   #12
leftyx

leftyx is online

Quote:
A digital scale is invaluable in my kitchen. It saves me from having to wash lots of measuring cups, spoons, etc. I rarely volume measure anything, it's just so much easier to measure it into whatever I'm combining all in one bowl/cup/etc.
So how do you get the peanut butter out of the jar? What do you put it into to measure it? What do you do about taking it out of the measuring utensil and getting into your food withoutl losing lots of peanut butter in teh measuring utensil?
Sorry for all the questions but it occurred to me when I thought of measuring peanut butter.

Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 02:16 PM   #13
MannishBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyx View Post
So how do you get the peanut butter out of the jar? What do you put it into to measure it? What do you do about taking it out of the measuring utensil and getting into your food withoutl losing lots of peanut butter in teh measuring utensil?
Sorry for all the questions but it occurred to me when I thought of measuring peanut butter.

Some scales let you tare the jar (set the scale to zero with the jar sitting on it), then scope out as much as you need to get to a negative weight of what you've removed.

My scale unfortunately won't go negative, so I just tare the regular table spoon, and get enough on my regular spoon to give me the portion size I want.

For recipes, just add ingredients to the mix, tare the scale, add next ingredient, etc.

Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM   #14
Mauidude

Stats: Height: 5' 3" Weight: 147 lbs. Bodyfat: 12% Waist: 32" Neck: 15" Chest: 36.5"

Great video! Being an amateur chef, I've learned to rarely measure dry goods by volume (flour, sugar, butter, etc.). It is not nearly as accurate as weight.

The same goes for sticking to your diet plan. My digital scale sets out on my counter. To measure messy stuff like peanut butter, I just put a piece of plastic wrap on top of the scale and dump what I'm measuring on top. You can use a container and most good digital scales have a "zero" function whereby you can put a container on the scale, hit the zero button, and the scale sets back to zero thereby not including the weight of the container.

I use a Salter digital food scale. Its small, has a stainless steel weight pad, and looks nice sitting on the counter.

Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM   #15
leftyx

leftyx is online

Quote:
I use a Salter digital food scale. Its small, has a stainless steel weight pad, and looks nice sitting on the counter.
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Some scales let you tare the jar (set the scale to zero with the jar sitting on it), then scope out as much as you need to get to a negative weight of what you've removed.

My scale unfortunately won't go negative, so I just tare the regular table spoon, and get enough on my regular spoon to give me the portion size I want.

For recipes, just add ingredients to the mix, tare the scale, add next ingredient, etc.
Thank you, I never knew what tare meant. I thought you "stared" at it, and left the "s" off.

I have a 20% off coupon for Bed, Bath and Beyond. I'm hoping they'll have something suitable.

Can you recommend a good brand or model type? And what qualities are needed?

Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM   #16
MannishBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyx View Post
Thank you, I never knew what tare meant. I thought you "stared" at it, and left the "s" off.
I had to look it up when I first got mine

Quote:
I have a 20% off coupon for Bed, Bath and Beyond.
So does everybody with a mailbox. But that's what I used to get mine, too.

Quote:
I'm hoping they'll have something suitable.

Can you recommend a good brand or model type? And what qualities are needed?
They carry Salter. You can look on their website.

I'm not sure they carry the one I have anymore. It works well, but doesn't go negative which is something I'd like to see. The nutritional information is neat, but not something I ever use anymore. I wouldn't worry about it if I bought again, so I'd go for something cheaper.

I would not recommend this one, as it's not nearly as accurate at low weights as my scale... I bought it as a gift for my brother-in-law a couple of years ago and It takes me putting in nearly 10g before it will even show up, which makes me question anything like a tbs of oil that's 12-15 g...

Search for kitchen scales at Amazon and look at the reviews for the ones BB&B carries. Looks like that Oxo is getting good reviews. John also posted about his Salter awhile back in his "favorite things" thread.

Searching at BB&B, I get different results searching for "food scales" and "kitchen scales", so look at both if you want to see what they have before you go to the store.

Last edited by MannishBoy; Wed, March 4th, 2009 at 09:01 AM..

Old Wed, March 4th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #17
J_W

Stats: 5'8"

Funny that this came up. I just finished writing a blog entry about my kitchen scale .

I have this one and love it. It's very accurate and registers 1 g increments, has a tare function and it registers negative weight. You can switch back and forth between grams and ounces and you can remove the glass plate and clean it.

Last edited by J_W; Wed, March 4th, 2009 at 05:08 AM..

Old Wed, March 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #18
witeowl

This is the one I have. I like it as it's very small, can switch from grams to ounces with the touch of an easily accessible button, tares, and handles negatives. It also registers very small changes. (I'll put on a bottle of olive oil, tare the scale, pour some oil into my pan, and put the bottle back on the scale. If it says -2g, I can safely figure I poured out 2g of oil.)

Two things annoy me only a tiny bit: a big plate can obscure the readout, and it sometimes spontaneously "loses" a gram. (IOW, I measure out 14g of someting, go get the next ingredient and it now claims that it only has 13g of whatever. Not a big deal as I just zero it out before the next ingredient, but still...)

Old Thu, March 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #19
carddante

I bought a Salter at BB&B Monday night. With the 20% off coupon it was right at $25.00.

Here is what 16g of peanut butter looks like. Slightly curved at the top, probably does not fill the entire "bowl" of the spoon. After measuring lots of spoonfuls out, I think I can get pretty between 15 and 17g every time.

And here is what it looks like going into my mouth.

Perfection.

My Journal

Old Thu, March 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #20
MannishBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carddante View Post
Here is what 16g of peanut butter looks like. Slightly curved at the top, probably does not fill the entire "bowl" of the spoon.
Quote: