Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Main Fitness Forums > Weight/Strength Training & Bulking

Weight/Strength Training & Bulking Weight/strength training exercises, programs, techniques.

Hang Clean and press for shoulders
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #1
KT Monahan

Sex: Male
Stats: 5'11" - 200 lbs - @23+% BF
Default Hang Clean and press for shoulders

Would it make sense to replace the military press with the hang clean and press? Wouldn't you get more bang for your buck with a hang clean and press? One's hang clean should be heavier than their press, so you would be using a weight light for your clean.

I know it also depends on one's goals, but if you're simply trying to lose some fat and get in better shape, using the hang clean and press as your shoulder exercise in a total body compound exercise geared routine would make some sense, no?

Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #2
chicanerous

Stats: 5'9"

Given good form, the hang clean isn't doing much for your shoulder development, but it does take more energy to perform a hang clean and press than simply a press. If you're hanging cleaning every press rep, you're going to negatively impact the amount that you can press, meaning less stimulus on the pressing muscles (as you gain more stimulus overall and elsewhere).

So, if you want to get as strong as possible at pressing, you should stick to just pressing. However, if your goal is to lose fat and simply get in better shape, the trade off might be worth it. Personally, I'd rather do cleans at another time, just press when it's time to press, and use diet to manipulate fat loss.

Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #3
bradh

Stats: 6', 255lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Monahan View Post
Would it make sense to replace the military press with the hang clean and press? Wouldn't you get more bang for your buck with a hang clean and press? One's hang clean should be heavier than their press, so you would be using a weight light for your clean.

I know it also depends on one's goals, but if you're simply trying to lose some fat and get in better shape, using the hang clean and press as your shoulder exercise in a total body compound exercise geared routine would make some sense, no?
Try muscle cleans, much like a power clean but you don't use your hips or come off you heels. There almost like an upright row this way, which are excellent trap builders.

They have been working great for me.

btw i separate muscle cleans from presses but since you can't do has much weight with them you might be able to do a hybrid lift.

Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.—Thomas A. Edison

Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #4
chicanerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Try muscle cleans, much like a power clean but you don't use your hips or come off you heels. There almost like an upright row this way, which are excellent trap builders.

They have been working great for me.

btw i separate muscle cleans from presses but since you can't do has much weight with them you might be able to do a hybrid lift.
Muscle snatches are probably a better option here because they'll also get the shoulders into the picture, which is the point of the pressing anyways.

At 2:15:

With a clean grip:

Last edited by chicanerous; Fri, February 20th, 2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #5
bradh

Stats: 6', 255lbs

Big dude Chico, i was refering to a muscle hang clean btw.

Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.—Thomas A. Edison

Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #6
KT Monahan

Stats: 5'11" - 200 lbs - @23+% BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicanerous View Post
Given good form, the hang clean isn't doing much for your shoulder development, but it does take more energy to perform a hang clean and press than simply a press. If you're hanging cleaning every press rep, you're going to negatively impact the amount that you can press, meaning less stimulus on the pressing muscles (as you gain more stimulus overall and elsewhere).

So, if you want to get as strong as possible at pressing, you should stick to just pressing. However, if your goal is to lose fat and simply get in better shape, the trade off might be worth it. Personally, I'd rather do cleans at another time, just press when it's time to press, and use diet to manipulate fat loss.
Points well taken. Thanks.

Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #7
chicanerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Big dude Chico, i was refering to a muscle hang clean btw.
Yeah. I'm not a very big fan of muscle cleans of any type. With a muscle snatch, at least, you pull as normal, but, instead of catching, you press out without rebending the knees. A properly executed muscle clean, on the other hand, doesn't rebend the knees, but should still catch the bar in the proper position. However, most people don't do this and actually screw with the pull itself and catch the bar improperly, putting a lot of undue stress on the elbow and wrist joints. That's just bad all around -- for the joints and for your pulling mechanics.

Compare this video of a properly executed muscle clean with this muscle snatch with how you may or may not perform the lifts.