Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Nutrition & Supplements

Nutrition & Supplements Food, nutrition and supplements.

Soya Protein Powder - any good??
Old Mon, February 16th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #1
asy1mpo

Sex: Male
Default Soya Protein Powder - any good??

I have been going to the gym for awhile with the aim to tone up etc.

I am getting there gradually.

I am thinking of taking protein shakes but there are so many different types and dont want to spend all the money for something no good

I have seen 90% soy protein powder which is pretty cheap - is it good?? Is it cheap for a reason??

Its less than 5 from here

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...il.asp?pid=228

Last edited by asy1mpo; Mon, February 16th, 2009 at 07:40 PM..

Old Tue, February 17th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #2
Azaroth

Any soy that isn't specifically organic and non-GMO is VERY likely genetically modified crop called "RoundUp Ready". Genetically modified to be resistant to large amounts of the RoundUp pesticide, and the farmers contractually obligated to use this pesticide on the crops.

The problem with this particular pesticide are the heinous implications not only for the humans who consume it, but the wildlife - and really, the entire ecosystem that it seeps in to.

I've also got my own particular issues with protein powder, but you'd have to search my past posts if you're interested in that.

On top of all of that, the powder contains soy lecithin. What that is, basically, is the sludge byproduct that's separated from other soy products (like soybean oil) in the manufacturing process. This is where a lot of your pesticide goes. It's used as an emulsifier.

There's also some talk of soy's phytoestrogens mimicing estrogen in the body, but that's controversial and I don't think it's really been proven yet.

In the end, there's a million reasons to stick to plain old whey protein. Or MUCH better yet - whole food proteins.

Old Tue, February 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #3
vertigo88

Sex: Female

Not to mention that out of all the protein powder options soy by far mixes and tastes the worst.

Old Thu, February 19th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #4
musclenut

Soy also has been said to possibly increase estrogen, thats not desirable. I would suggest a good Whey Based product. Muscle Milk is pretty good lots of flavors taste and mixes decent. I usually get the Muscle Milk Naturals since I dont like Sucrolose in my food.

Old Sat, February 21st, 2009, 12:46 PM   #5
chris mason
Official Sponsor - www.atlargenutrition.com

Soy protein is ok, but not to be used as a sole suppmental source. In other words, if you were supplementing with protein and 5 or so grams came from soy and another 15-20 from other sources you would be ingesting a nice mix.