Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Other Forums > Off-Topic Discussions

Off-Topic Discussions Talk about almost anything you like here, just keep it clean. Flaming will not be tolerated. No religion or politics.

How do you measure your height?
Old Wed, May 5th, 2004, 07:48 AM   #1
Craig

Sex: Male
Default How do you measure your height?

Although it may sound like a silly question, I'm convinced that many people are not aware of their true height. I'm personally convinced that I'm measuring correctly by doing it bare foot stood against a wall and using something square off the wall to the top of my head.

In the past, I've heard people say that you should measure with footwear on as that is the height you are when out . Also, when some people quote their own height to me they appear to be way off. I measure 5'11" and someone might tell me they're 5'10" but I can clearly see that they're at least 2 or 3 inches shorter than me.

What's going on ?? Are people really measuring in shoes? are they measuring by putting their hand on their head they pulling it back to the wall incorrectly? or are they just guessing?

How many people here are 100% convinced that they have their correct stats and has anyone else come across these scenarios?

Last edited by Craig; Wed, May 5th, 2004 at 10:24 AM..

Old Wed, May 5th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #2
woodenkey

I measure with my bare feet against a wall...mark off the top of my head (make sure it's parrallel to the ground...don't slant the measure). Yea I know what you mean by "I'm xx tall" when they're definately off! I think many people like to exaggerate when it comes to measuring things.

Old Wed, May 5th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #3
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenkey
I measure with my bare feet against a wall...mark off the top of my head (make sure it's parrallel to the ground...don't slant the measure). Yea I know what you mean by "I'm xx tall" when they're definately off! I think many people like to exaggerate when it comes to measuring things.
LOL

Old Wed, May 5th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #4
Knubb

Measure with footwear? Do people actually say that? Dumbest thing in a long time...

Are people who wear high heals taller than those with flat shoes? Seems kinda unfair, doesn't it?

Your height is how tall YOU are, not how tall you and your clothing are together. Kinda reminds me of the scene in "The Gods must be crazy" (not sure that's the original title...) where a little bushman boy places a piece of wood on his head to fool the hyena that he's actually taller than it is (to keep it from attacking, don't know if that really works).

Many guys shorter than 6' are ashamed of their height and will exaggerate since they believe that being taller will make them more manly, more attractive or whatever. Many tall girls do the opposite, give a smaller number in order to appear shorter and more feminine. It's sad really, but that's the way society works these days...

Old Wed, May 5th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #5
--D--

I know what you mean. I'm 5'10" exactly (barefoot) and I've met a lot of other people who are 5'10" and yet obviously shorter than myself.

Your height and weight shouldn't include your clothes.

Old Wed, May 5th, 2004, 09:56 PM   #6
chicanerous

Stats: 5'9"

Time and time again I clocked in at 5'9" then I shaved my head for swimming. I went to the doctor a while ago -- I have a little more than an inch of hair all around now -- and clocked in at 5'8". The woman did it very fast so she might not have been very precise, but regardless: watch out for hair poofage!

Old Thu, May 6th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #7
tan_pao_wei

Stats: 205lbs 175cm 3rd feb 04 196lbs 175cm 3rd march 186lbs 175cm 3rd april 178lbs 175cm 3rd may 160lbs 175cm 11th sep

Sometimes it's just humun error in measuring height which will result in +-3cm

Old Thu, May 6th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #8
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicanerous
Time and time again I clocked in at 5'9" then I shaved my head for swimming. I went to the doctor a while ago -- I have a little more than an inch of hair all around now -- and clocked in at 5'8". The woman did it very fast so she might not have been very precise, but regardless: watch out for hair poofage!
lol I'll have to get myself a beehive.

police
Old Sat, May 8th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #9
simon.karlsson

Default police

I use the stats they gave me at the police office, not that Im a con, but I hade to be meassured for my passport