Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Fat Loss/Cutting

Fat Loss/Cutting Get ripped. This forum is for those who have already invested time into learning about fat loss. Beginners should post in the beginner's forum.

"I Can Make You Thin"
Old Sun, March 16th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #1
smuhhh

Sex: Male
Stats: Cutting for summer.
Default "I Can Make You Thin"

Has anyone seen this show? I think it just started. this guy is a completly knob. he is telling everyone to eat what they want, when they want. just to be concious about it... sure... people will probably lose a bit of weight by eating less, but now all these uniformed/uneducated people are going to be eating pizza everyday becuase this guy says its healthy.... I can't beleive what I just saw to be honest, its almost criminal.

Last edited by smuhhh; Mon, March 17th, 2008 at 12:08 AM..

Old Mon, March 17th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #2
goonie

Stats: 6'2", 200 lbs

Is the name of the show "I Can Make You Healthy", or "I Can Make You Thin"? There's a big potential difference in my eyes.

I've never seen the show, or know anything about the host. Depending on how far he takes things and clarifies his logic, I could envision a broad spectrum with the approach falling somewhere between total nonsense, and a practical way for someone to start breaking out of the trap of fad dieting disasters that have no chance of achieving sustainable weight control.

It really takes a concentrated effort to provide something more useless than what you average "dieter" out there builds their weight loss plan around, but people find a way to do it. I'll check it out sometime.

Old Mon, March 17th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #3
J_W

Sex: Female
Stats: 5'8"

I think for a lot of people learning portion control would go a long with in controlling their weight. It's a start at least.

Old Mon, March 17th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #4
odin1642

Lowering calories whilst eating the same crap will make people thinner though. So I hardly think such advice is "criminal". No it won't get one "ripped" or "buff" but it can be enough to turn a fat bastard into a thin one, even if not a particularly fit or toned looking type of thin. But they'll still look far better than before. And as already suggested some might even graduate from this type of physique improvement onto the next stage, healthier diet and gunning for a fit and toned look.

Old Mon, March 17th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #5
PlainGreyT

His name is Paul McKenna and I've seen the show. I'm also not impressed

Being a 'life coach' is a huge money spinner these days...

Oh yeah, did I mention he gained noterioty as a hypnotherapist?

Last edited by PlainGreyT; Mon, March 17th, 2008 at 01:38 PM..

Old Mon, March 17th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #6
odin1642

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainGreyT View Post
His name is Paul McKenna and I've seen the show. I'm also not impressed

Being a 'life coach' is a huge money spinner these days...

Oh yeah, did I mention he gained noterioty as a hypontist?

Didn't know it was him, the hypnotist guy, man what a mercenary

Old Mon, March 17th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #7
smuhhh

Stats: Cutting for summer.

The thing that upsets me about the show, is that there is so much information about healthy eating and safe weight loss out there, but no medium to get it out there. Why not create a show that pushes a healthy lifestyle and info about that stuff, instead of just trying to lose some poundage. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. in part of the show he said "after the show, go to your kitchen and throw out all the food you don't like" how many people have fruit and veggies left?

Old Mon, March 17th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Timbermiko

Stats: Loud $ Proud....

It may be a start, but as most of you know most obese folk can't just eat average crap and portion it out. Take a bite put the fork down...right. How long has that been around?

Old Mon, March 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #9
odin1642

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuhhh View Post
The thing that upsets me about the show, is that there is so much information about healthy eating and safe weight loss out there, but no medium to get it out there. Why not create a show that pushes a healthy lifestyle and info about that stuff, instead of just trying to lose some poundage. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. in part of the show he said "after the show, go to your kitchen and throw out all the food you don't like" how many people have fruit and veggies left?

I can see why you would have issues with the seeming lack of any encouragement to eat healthier.

Clearly for a long term solution to weight problems, plus just for better internal health, clean eating is a better option.

I think what this guy is trying to sell isn't really based on health but on a way for people to improve their appearance which is psychologically easier than suddenly cutting all junk out of people's diets. In many ways it is psychologically easier for people to lose weight by simply eating smaller portions of the same junk that they normally eat rather than going for an all out health food approach.

A downside is that such an approach might not work in the long term, especially if at the end of the diet there is simply a return to pre diet portion sizes and eating habits, as happens with most crash dieters. But in terms of a short term goal of fitting into a wedding dress or looking good for photographs for a particular special occasion or whatever, the portion controlled junk food diet approach can work.

Old Mon, March 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #10
woodan

Stats: Height: 6' 3", Weight: 102kg, Deadlift: 1x170kg, Squat: 1x150kg, Bench 1x85kg - 6 July 2010

Paul McKenna is expert in NLP so I wouldn't be surprised if he was programming you subconsciously.

There is no money in informing people how they can live a healthy lifestyle. Where as fad diets that get your weight down in the short term only for it to rise again once you resume your old habits are a potential goldmine.

Let's face fact though. When I meet people I haven't met for a while they often remark at how good I'm looking now. They then ask how I managed it. I tell them. They think I'm weird.

Most people I know would love to be slimmer but only if it has a minor impact on how they already live their lives. Generally, making the lifestyle changes required to obtain the body you want have quite a big impact on your life.

You have to make a sacrifices one way or the other; eat what you want / sacrifice the body you've always wanted. Sacrifice some foods and some time in front of the TV / obtain the body you've always wanted.

It's simply really. People don't want to hear that though.

--

** All weight in journals listed in Kilograms unless stated otherwise **

Old Mon, March 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #11
Doubleoqueso

Most people don't want good health bad enough to sacrifice the unhealthy things they enjoy or are addicted to.

Only a very small number of people who see that show will actually make changes, but a great deal will watch it hoping they can have everything.

That's the big lie that so many people desperately hold onto in America - "Yes, you really can have it all!" So desperate for it all, are they, that they would shun the truth when it comes across them and further deny that they ever heard it ("I've tried everything but I can't lose weight...")

No... It's not that you can't...

Old Mon, March 17th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Rise

Stats: 5'9 - 155lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuhhh View Post
The thing that upsets me about the show, is that there is so much information about healthy eating and safe weight loss out there, but no medium to get it out there. Why not create a show that pushes a healthy lifestyle and info about that stuff, instead of just trying to lose some poundage.
because the show would have to run for years to see noticeable differences whereas shows like the biggest loser basically fast forward to the good part. you need results for people to want to watch and in the end, tv is all about making money, not getting people healthy.

as for the show itself, we all know that you can't lose weight for someone else, they have to do it themselves. so it doesn't really matter what you say to them, they have to act on it.