Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Weight Training/Bulking

Weight Training/Bulking Weight/strength training exercises, programs, techniques.

Military Press versus Bench Press?
Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #1
Azure

Sex: Male
Default Military Press versus Bench Press?

Which is more effective?

I do both, but because they're incredibly taxing I cannot both in one session. So I alternate between the 2.

Day 1-3 will be Bench Press, Day 2 will be Military Press. Next week....Day 1-3 are Military Press, Day 2 is Bench Press.

Thoughts?

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #2
chicanerous

Stats: 5'9"

Which is more effective... for what?

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Azure

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicanerous View Post
Strength gain. Putting on the muscle.

Considering I can lift over 200 lbs more with the Bench Press, I would assume that more weight = better results.

But I would very much like to improve my military press.

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #4
docutech

Stats: 5'10" 181.8 Lbs*Bulking*

I perform the bench press and military press within the same workout. I alternate the two exercises vice versa. I may start with the bench press one day and another day I will start with the military press. I found that dialing in the weight to accomodate both exercises in one session works pretty well. If I was to max out my weight for each exercise, there is no way I could perform them both during my chest workout.

I hope this helps...

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Azure

Quote:
Originally Posted by docutech View Post
I perform the bench press and military press within the same workout. I alternate the two exercises vice versa. I may start with the bench press one day and another day I will start with the military press. I found that dialing in the weight to accomodate both exercises in one session works pretty well. If I was to max out my weight for each exercise, there is no way I could perform them both during my chest workout.

I hope this helps...
I certainly don't max out....but I do preform until failure on the 3rd set with either exercise.

On top of everything else I do....I find it almost impossible to combine to two into the same session.

Perhaps I should cut back on the weight?

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #6
cnjlakes

Stats: 10/07 - 264 lbs Currently - 197 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I certainly don't max out....but I do preform until failure on the 3rd set with either exercise.

On top of everything else I do....I find it almost impossible to combine to two into the same session.

Doesn't military press focus on the shoulders more where the bench press is primarily a chest exercise?

My Journal

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #7
Illuminate

Military utilizes more muscles overall than the bench, so I'd say the military. Standing version of course.

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #8
chicanerous

Stats: 5'9"

Quote:

Considering I can lift over 200 lbs more with the Bench Press, I would assume that more weight = better results.

But I would very much like to improve my military press.
Strength gain... in what movement? Putting on the muscle... where?

Your military press strength should be lower than your bench press. There isn't as much muscle involved. The bench press has primarily your chest, shoulders, and arms, while the military press just has shoulders and arms. The amount of muscle dynamically involved has a large impact on the potential strength of a movement.

As for adding mass, the military press places greater emphasis on the muscles of the shoulders, while the bench press also distributes it to the chest. However, the bench press allows more overall weight to be used, so the question is whether that weight is great enough to provide a stimulus that outdoes the use of a smaller weight but more direct stimulus provided by a military press. That's a pretty hard question to answer and depends heavily on your own body.

Obviously, you can't develop a big chest by just military pressing. So, if you want chest development, you better be bench pressing. So, the real question is whether shoulder development is best created through bench pressing or military pressing. In my experience, overhead work has done quite well in developing my shoulders, but I also have little interest in bench pressing. The plus side of this approach, however, is that, once I developed strong shoulders relative to the chest, they tended to take over when I bench press, so the bench press was absolutely an effective shoulder builder in that specific case -- though I still can't say whether it was more effective than continuing to overhead press. On the other hand, if you're emphasizing your bench press, I think it's really up in the air whether it will be an effective shoulder builder for you (depending on technique and your specific anatomy); but, then again, by definition, if you're emphasizing the bench press, you're more concerned with it and the benefits it provides you, so you may not care about its effectiveness as a shoulder builder in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
Military utilizes more muscles overall than the bench, so I'd say the military. Standing version of course.
The bench press uses more muscle dynamically than military press, which is what ultimately matters when your determining the impact of a dynamic movement.

Last edited by chicanerous; Fri, February 8th, 2008 at 03:52 PM..

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #9
phitness

Stats: ------------------------------ Previously @ 235, 24% - Career & Life Madness - Reboot @ 288, ~39% - Current - 238, 23-26% ---- Goal - 200, 11-15% - -----------

Quote:

I prefer splitting chest and shoulders, this way you can be sure to give you all on bench press (and its angular variations) and military/shoulder press.

Here are two seven day splits that separate chest and shoulders:

7 Day Option 1
Legs
Chest + Biceps
Rest or Cardio Only
Shoulders + Triceps
Back
Rest or Cardio Only
Rest or Cardio Only

7 Day Option 2
Quads + Hams
Chest + Triceps
Rest or Cardio Only
Shoulders + Calves
Back + Biceps
Rest or Cardio Only
Rest or Cardio Only

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #10
phitness

Stats: ------------------------------ Previously @ 235, 24% - Career & Life Madness - Reboot @ 288, ~39% - Current - 238, 23-26% ---- Goal - 200, 11-15% - -----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicanerous View Post
Quote:
You'll need both...

...plus squats, plus deads, plus chin-ups/pull-ups, plus rows, plus dips, plus food, plus rest, plus water.

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #11
Azure

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitness View Post
You'll need both...

...plus squats, plus deads, plus chin-ups/pull-ups, plus rows, plus dips, plus food, plus rest, plus water.
I do all those too.

Good info guys.

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #12
JoeSchmo

Yeah, these really aren't exercises that substitute for one another .... so, comparing them is kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

Plus, aren't you chasing a 350 pound bench press? If so, excising bench presses from your routine probably won't help.

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Azure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmo View Post
Yeah, these really aren't exercises that substitute for one another .... so, comparing them is kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

Plus, aren't you chasing a 350 pound bench press? If so, excising bench presses from your routine probably won't help.
Yes I still am.

Still making gains too....although I haven't been over 300 lbs. Haven't tried either.

Old Sat, February 9th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #14
cnjlakes

Stats: 10/07 - 264 lbs Currently - 197 lbs

When do you take flat and incline bench press into account? do you spead them out over days or concentrate them on chest days?

My Journal