Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Main Fitness Forums > Fat Loss/Cutting

Fat Loss/Cutting Get ripped. This forum is for those who have already invested time into learning about fat loss. Beginners should post in the beginner's forum.

what will running 3 miles a day do to me?
Old Sat, January 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Garcia2100

Sex: Male
Default what will running 3 miles a day do to me?

Im thinking of starting to run 3 miles a day, in less than 30 minutes. Why? because ive been thinking of joining the marines, and to get in it, i need to be able to run 3 miles in less than 28 minutes, or 3 miles in 18 minutes or less to get a perfect score.

What will running 3 miles a day do to my body? Will i still be burning alot of calories, or will all it will do is just build my endurance and thats it. I really wanna cut my body, im built and all, but i have fat over it that i have to burn. Will running 3 miles a day help with that as well?

Old Sat, January 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #2
mustbesix

It depends on your diet. If you are eating at a surplus you'll gain weight. If you're in a caloric deficit then you're going to lose weight.

Old Sat, January 19th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #3
timwalsh300

Stats: 5'9" 160 pounds 10% bodyfat

All activity burns calories. Running 3 miles burns a relatively large number of calories - for me, about 450.

That can certainly be helpful in your goal of fat-loss, but it's not enough by itself.

Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose fat. What's great is that as you get lighter, you'll get faster and have more endurance too. Running helps you become more lean, and being lean helps you run better.

But don't think that just running 3 miles a day is the best way to train for the USMC PFT. I've been running for about 5 years for the Army and I've learned a lot. Run lots of different distances. Try to get as fast as you can over every distance between 200 meters and 10 miles. The middle distances require a good blend of speed and endurance. 3 miles can feel like a long way, but to do it in 18:00 you also have to be fast. Ask yourself, can you even run 400 or 800 meters at a 6:00 pace? You need to be able to run farther than 3 miles, and faster than 6:00 for 1 mile if you ever want to be able to run 3 miles in 18:00.

Tim

Old Sat, January 19th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Garcia2100

i am in a diet, not really, but i do avoid bad foods like fast food and bad stuff thats obviouse. I know that running also tightens your skin and boosts your motabolism.

Old Sat, January 19th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #5
cisco

Stats: 5'10 180 pounds body Fat around 18%

Running 3 miles a day will get you lean.

Running 3 miles a day in 18 Minutes will probably do more damage than good with the stress of this. It's basically a sprint for 18 minutes not good.

Of course it can be done on a Flat track but I don't recommend you go our and try to achieve this, without a Steady Build up of at least 6 - 12 weeks training.

I recommend you run only 3 times a week with the other 3 Weights training.

You will get far more benefit and reach your goal of 28+ minutes easier.

Old Sat, January 19th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #6
stallion16

cutting up is really more about diet....but running 3 miles a day will def. help.

Old Sat, January 19th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #7
timwalsh300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco View Post
Running 3 miles a day in 18 Minutes will probably do more damage than good with the stress of this. It's basically a sprint for 18 minutes not good.
What? If someone has the motivation to strive for an 18:00 3-miler, why would you discourage it? Train for and achieve something like that and you've gone a long way towards being in fantastic shape.

Go out tomorrow and take off at a 6:00/mile pace. You'll probably be smoked by the 1/4 mile point and you'll finish the 3 miles in close to 30:00. But keep at it. Keep training hard.

It's that kind of intensity that begets results, but alludes so many people.

Tim

Old Sat, January 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #8
goonie

Stats: 6'2", 200 lbs

You need to separate training with a goal of looking good in front of the mirror, and training with a goal of being in shape to join the Marines.

Sure, there's some carryover there, but the Marine physique is going to come as a by product of conditioning your body to perform at its best and increasing the odds of keeping you and your fellow Marines alive. This is different than say dieting and training just to lower your BF% for pure aesthetics.

Basically, decide how serious you are about joining the Marines, and tailor your training accordingly.

Best of luck to you.

Old Sat, January 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #9
Garcia2100

today i tried it, and manage to finish 3 miles in less than 30 minutes, it was 29:something if i remember correctly. Obviesly i want to look good infront of people without my shirt on as well. Im going to devide my days up, i think its best from what i have read.

Mondays-----Chest And Abs(Will still run for like 15 minutes; warmup)
Tuesdays----3 Mile run
Wednesday--Back And Abs (Will still run for like 15 minutes; warmup)
Thursday----3 Mile run
Friday-------Legs and Abs
(Will still run for like 15 minutes; warmup)
Saturday----3 Mile run
Sundays---- Probebly another run of 3 miles if i feel like, but most likely will just rest.

I never really concetrated on my legs, wouldnt running work that out enough already? I really wanna concentrate on my back.

And obiesly my diet. Its simple, dont eat anything thats retarded, drink alot of water. And alot of milk, remember reading that it tightens my skin up, and i love my milk with nesquick strawberry...

Old Sat, January 19th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #10
timwalsh300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia2100 View Post
I never really concetrated on my legs, wouldnt running work that out enough already?
Yes, but in a different way. Running and doing barbell squats, for example, are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Both involve the quads, hamstrings, glutes, calfs, etc... but training 5-10 heavy repetitions with a barbell is going to produce a very different result from making 1500 strides over the course of running a mile. Both are good for you, but they are not the same.

If you are serious about being a Marine, you're going to have to run a lot more than you mentioned in that schedule. Build up to 20-30 miles week and then work on increasing the speed of your miles. If you show up running 3 miles in 30:00 you aren't going to have a lot of fun. Believe it or not, there ARE guys out there running their 3 miles in 18:00.

Tim

Old Sun, January 20th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #11
fullpen

Stats: 5'7", 159.2lbs. BF: 11%-ish, on SGX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwalsh300 View Post
What? If someone has the motivation to strive for an 18:00 3-miler, why would you discourage it? Train for and achieve something like that and you've gone a long way towards being in fantastic shape.

Go out tomorrow and take off at a 6:00/mile pace. You'll probably be smoked by the 1/4 mile point and you'll finish the 3 miles in close to 30:00. But keep at it. Keep training hard.

It's that kind of intensity that begets results, but alludes so many people.

Tim
i think he was meaning not to run that far at that pace daily. generally, it's not good to run more than 3-4 days a week period and i consider myself a bit of a running enthusiast.

On Week 3 of SGX.

300 Squat / 365 DL / 190 Bench

Old Sun, January 20th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #12
Fitness_Wannabee

Stats: 5'6", 132lbs, 14.5% BF, Goal - 11%

Well it will causes early arthritis and if you like being crippled by 40, go ahead and run, run, run on that pavement. Otherwise, the sane approach to cardio is the elliptical trainer.

Old Sun, January 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #13
Chopaholic

Sex: Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness_Wannabee View Post
Well it will causes early arthritis and if you like being crippled by 40, go ahead and run, run, run on that pavement. Otherwise, the sane approach to cardio is the elliptical trainer.
let's see your evidence.

seriously. show it.

these myths about running have been kicked around since the 1970s. i have yet to see a study that would make me consider the veracity of that statement.

i agree with tim. many running coaches think that distance is an important component to time, even though it may seem counter-intuitive. i would advise being comfortable with distances of at least 5 miles, then beginning your serious speed work.

Running Protects Against Arthritis

Old Sun, January 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #14
fullpen

Stats: 5'7", 159.2lbs. BF: 11%-ish, on SGX!

I agree with chop on the distance/speed ideas. I also think it's a good idea to incorporate different surfaces when running. Turf or trail is far easier on your joints than asphalt or pavement. When it is a question of my joint health, I'd prefer to ere on the side of caution. The best way to do that is like everything else; setting attainble goals and using moderation and common sense to reach them.

On Week 3 of SGX.

300 Squat / 365 DL / 190 Bench

Old Sun, January 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #15
cisco

Stats: 5'10 180 pounds body Fat around 18%

Quote:
today i tried it, and manage to finish 3 miles in less than 30 minutes, it was 29:something if i remember correctly.
But did you enjoy it ? That's the main thing...

I don't know anyone except a Athlete running in competition who would enjoy running 3 Miles in 18 minues..

It's a sprint and doesn't benefit your body it stresses it.

OK Buddy burn your butt off for 18 minutes and your in ! Not a good selection method IMHO..

Old Sun, January 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #16
timwalsh300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco View Post
But did you enjoy it ? That's the main thing...

I don't know anyone except a Athlete running in competition who would enjoy running 3 Miles in 18 minues..

It's a sprint and doesn't benefit your body it stresses it.

OK Buddy burn your butt off for 18 minutes and your in ! Not a good selection method IMHO..
1. He wants to be a Marine. They don't care if he enjoys it.

2. Wow, what an ignorant set of remarks. Running is one of the most popular forms of exercise in the United States - look at all the people signing up for 5K's, 10K's, marathons, and triathlons. So it seems that a lot of people really do enjoy it. And it really starts to get fun when you are running that fast, blowing past weaklings on the street or on the track. It's not something that you can understand until you experience it yourself, which you clearly haven't. And it "doesn't benefit your body"? How about you withhold such comments until you can run a few 6:00/miles yourself, and then tell us whether or not you feel like it was beneficial.

Tim

Old Sun, January 20th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #17
Fitness_Wannabee

Stats: 5'6", 132lbs, 14.5% BF, Goal - 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwalsh300 View Post
1. He wants to be a Marine. They don't care if he enjoys it.

2. Wow, what an ignorant set of remarks. Running is one of the most popular forms of exercise in the United States - look at all the people signing up for 5K's, 10K's, marathons, and triathlons. So it seems that a lot of people really do enjoy it. And it really starts to get fun when you are running that fast, blowing past weaklings on the street or on the track. It's not something that you can understand until you experience it yourself, which you clearly haven't. And it "doesn't benefit your body"? How about you withhold such comments until you can run a few 6:00/miles yourself, and then tell us whether or not you feel like it was beneficial.

Tim
Do they enjoy the knee tendonitis, bursitis, shin splints, stress fractures, etc... Enjoy....

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/spor...ninginjury.htm

BTW, I don't doubt that I can run a 6:00 mile with my current cardio fitness, but will my knees and feet like it? I don't think so. I get problems from running on the friggen treadmill. BTW, your heart rate doesn't care how it's elevated, whether by running on pavement, treadmill or elliptical.

Last edited by Fitness_Wannabee; Sun, January 20th, 2008 at 04:57 PM..

Old Sun, January 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #18
timwalsh300

You're missing the point.

Risk of injury aside (I haven't had any serious problems yet, many people haven't, but I don't feel like debating this myself), this is about accomplishment. What is "fitness" if it is not attaining certain levels of performance?

There is a difference between going to work on the elliptical machine at your target heart rate for an hour, and going out and training with a goal in mind of running a 7:00, 6:00, or 5:00 mile.

I argue that the individual who sets their sights on performance goals and lets the aesthetics follow will be rewarded with far more than the person who has no performance goals. Training for performance, competing with yourself and others, brings a whole new kind of intensity that really stimulates progress.

You think you can run a 6:00 mile because of your "current cardio fitness"? Well I challenge you to go out and prove it - not to me, but to yourself. When you come up short, you may take a second look at your definition of fitness.

And lest we forget the whole concept of "functional" fitness... what do you do if you have to run to catch a bus? Or chase a criminal? Or get out of the building before if explodes and collapses?... Do you say, "Oh, I can't do it... it's bad for my knees and ankles." Maybe people in the military/law-enforcement community, who may actually have to do this sort of thing, are the only ones who think this way.

Tim

Old Sun, January 20th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #19
Chopaholic

Sex: Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness_Wannabee View Post
Do they enjoy the knee tendonitis, bursitis, shin splints, stress fractures, etc... Enjoy....

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/spor...ninginjury.htm

BTW, I don't doubt that I can run a 6:00 mile with my current cardio fitness, but will my knees and feet like it? I don't think so. I get problems from running on the friggen treadmill. BTW, your heart rate doesn't care how it's elevated, whether by running on pavement, treadmill or elliptical.
Your heart rate doesn't, but your body does. If you want to be a better runner, you need to run.

Of course there are injuries common to running. There are injuries common to football, basketball, weightlifting, baseball, etc. etc. etc.

However, research does not support the idea that running is bad for you. That idea is simply not evidenced.

Old Sun, January 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #20
Andrew

Stats: 5'9"

Quote:
Im thinking of starting to run 3 miles a day, in less than 30 minutes. Why? because ive been thinking of joining the marines, and to get in it, i need to be able to run 3 miles in less than 28 minutes, or 3 miles in 18 minutes or less to get a perfect score.

What will running 3 miles a day do to my body? Will i still be burning alot of calories, or will all it will do is just build my endurance and thats it. I really wanna cut my body, im built and all, but i have fat over it that i have to burn. Will running 3 miles a day help with that as well?
Yes, you will burn calories. Whether this translates into fat loss depends on your diet.

However, more importantly, if you are going to try to join the Marines you NEED to be doing as much to work on your endurance as possible, and this is a necessary start.

You won't be able to get a passing score if you're in the kind of shape where this run takes 28 minutes, and you will certainly not be able to finish Marine recruit training.

I know people who are in the military including the Marines and I was reading about the Marine PLC program, and one thing I know is that you want to aim for a VERY high score on the PFT coming into basic or else you simply won't be able to keep up. If you are at the minimum fitness level, the long days, hard exercise, discipline, and sleep deprivation will get to you and you'll have a very tough time.

You don't HAVE to be able to it in 18 minutes, but you should do all you can to be able to.

Good luck!!!

____

Additionally: This was already mentioned, but I just want to reiterate the point that you need to be training in other ways in addition to running distance/endurance runs. Track workouts (multiple 200/400/800m for example) will help you in other ways. Some speedwork couldn't hurt, as sprinting speed is always useful, although you probably won't need to be lightning quick to make it through, it's helpful. You have to go through other training such as obstacle course where pure endurance won't be enough. Also be sure to train for upper body strength and abdominal strength, especially with a focus on pull-ups, since that's a major portion of the PFT.

5K - 20:22 (6/1/08)

Last edited by Andrew; Sun, January 20th, 2008 at 06:36 PM..