Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Other Forums > Fitness Challenges

Fitness Challenges Help each other stay motivated! Fitness challenges of any kind should go here. The rules of each challenge are up to the participants, but forum rules still apply.

SAS Style Workout!!
Old Sun, November 11th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #1
CuTe PoIsOn

Sex: Male
Default SAS Style Workout!!

Hey guys I need help to create an SAS style workout, I know this may include a lot of walking with 20kg backpacks etc for 25km, but im looking more of a non cardio workout based around Pushups, Pullups etc Something I could do every morning to build strength and a bit of muscle in order to bench more, also does pushups build muscles or just condition?

Old Sun, November 11th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #2
1FastGTX

Stats: 5'8|220lbs|95.2%bf

Quote:
Originally Posted by khris107 View Post
Something I could do every morning to build strength and a bit of muscle in order to bench more...
In order to bench more, I would suggest benching.

What does your entire routine look like?

Quote:
...also does pushups build muscles or just condition?
Depends on how you're doing them. The pushups I do will help build muscle, because I'm not just getting on the floor every morning and knocking out 10 standard pushups before brushing my teeth. Instead, I'm incorporating them into my workout, using resistance (weighted vest, chains resting across my back, bands), or otherwise making them more intense in one way or another (feet up on a bench/box, hands on dumbbells, hands holding onto blast straps, etc.).

-Vince Gironda

Old Sun, November 11th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #3
CuTe PoIsOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastGTX View Post
In order to bench more, I would suggest benching.

What does your entire routine look like?

Depends on how you're doing them. The pushups I do will help build muscle, because I'm not just getting on the floor every morning and knocking out 10 standard pushups before brushing my teeth. Instead, I'm incorporating them into my workout, using resistance (weighted vest, chains resting across my back, bands), or otherwise making them more intense in one way or another (feet up on a bench/box, hands on dumbbells, hands holding onto blast straps, etc.).
Yea man I tryed elevated pushups on a aerobics stand and my upper inner chest looked as if it was working more, However im going to invest in a band to add some resistence also I would usually do aroun 15 pushups then have my brother rest his foot on my back to add some resistence also. He doesnt injure my lower back or anything like whilst doing it.

Old Sun, November 11th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #4
CuTe PoIsOn

Ive posted my workout in the intro section under "My Current BF" thread.

Old Mon, November 12th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #5
1FastGTX

Stats: 5'8|220lbs|95.2%bf

Quote:
Yea man I tryed elevated pushups on a aerobics stand and my upper inner chest looked as if it was working more, However im going to invest in a band to add some resistence also I would usually do aroun 15 pushups then have my brother rest his foot on my back to add some resistence also. He doesnt injure my lower back or anything like whilst doing it.
Hey Khris,

I like the idea of elevating your feet and also your hands. An easy solution for elevating the hands would be to just place two dumbbells on the ground and hold them with your hands while doing the pushups. This will also force you to stabilize the dumbbells (keep them from rolling up and down on the ground), which may be more effective.

If you're going to invest in bands that's not a bad idea. Simply wrap a band around your back and put your hand in each "loop," then put your hands on the floor with the band in between the floor and your hand.

Here's one variety:

And another:

Also, if you're going to invest in equipment then some chains are useful. You can buy these online, or just go to Home Depot or Lowe's to get them pretty cheap. This is a good variety:

Quote:
Ive posted my workout in the intro section under "My Current BF" thread.
Will check it out.

-Vince Gironda

Old Mon, November 12th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #6
CuTe PoIsOn

Hi Thanks alot Fast, I would usually use the pushup bars however as you said you can use dumbells to use more stability, however i think I'll give the dumbells and feet elevated on a step to create more of a decline pushup as such, Basically with the whole SAS thing I want to create Mass on the pecs, delts and bicep/tricep, I'll also be working my quads and lower back with compund movements however I need to know whats the most efficient way of building mass quickly, normal sets or Super sets?

Also any idea's on what an SAS style workout shuld have in terms of muscle building strength & endurance?

Old Fri, November 16th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #7
med267

Stats: 6'4" 208lbs

You could take different approach. Gymnastic progressions of frog stands through arm stands can add eventually alot more intensity through progression by leverage. To me the chains, bands & weight vests arent really the best tools to build heavy intensity in a short duration.

I do weighted vest pushups once in awhile more for building endurance doing them.

If you arent aware of the gymnastic progressions....you could google "planche frog stands".....those are the beginner progressions to start with.