Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Participatory Sports, General Health & Injuries > General Health/Fitness, Health Conditions & Injuries

General Health/Fitness, Health Conditions & Injuries Help with injuries, health conditions and general health & fitness topics that don't fall under existing forum categories.

Average time to Run a Mile
Old Tue, October 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #1
dtmheat

Sex: Male
Default Average time to Run a Mile

I'm 5'6 and weigh 158lbs. Last night I ran a mile in 9min 45 secs, is that an average, above average or poor time?
Also, from what I understand, a mile burns about 100 calories regardless of the time it takes to run it, right?

Thanks!

Old Tue, October 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #2
Pete5

Stats: 6'0" 225 pounds 770 Pound Deadlift 560 Pound full squat 360 Pound Bench Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmheat View Post
I'm 5'6 and weigh 158lbs. Last night I ran a mile in 9min 45 secs, is that an average, above average or poor time?
We need to know your age.

Quote:
Also, from what I understand, a mile burns about 100 calories regardless of the time it takes to run it, right?
Yes, roughly.

Old Tue, October 9th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #3
Andrew

Stats: 5'9"

This is just a guess, but it's probably near the average for the typical sedentary American adult. (i.e. not very good at all)

The 100 calories is a rule of thumb, but the number for each person is different because it depends largely on bodyweight. But, yeah the pace isn't really important if you're considering only the calories burned during the actual workout.

5K - 20:22 (6/1/08)

Last edited by Andrew; Wed, October 10th, 2007 at 01:27 AM..

Old Wed, October 10th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #4
zenpharaohs

Quote:
A: Your time translates roughly into a relative VO2max of 30 or so, maybe a bit less. Unless you are 60 years old or older, it's a poor result for a male. The good news is that there is a lot of room for improvement.

B: It might be about 100 Calories for you but it really depends a lot on weight, and it's not really independent of time.

VO2max: 55
65 x 225# squat
50 x 315# deadlift in 9:50.6
31 x 405# deadlift in 9:45
46 x 410# trap bar deadlift in ten minutes

Quote:
Slim Pickens, a.k.a. Major Kong, captain of the plane, was not told the movie was a comedy. To save money, Peter Sellers was originally supposed to play Major Kong, but allegedly had trouble developing the Western/cowboy accent.

Old Wed, October 10th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #5
user786

Stats: 5ft 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpharaohs View Post
A: Your time translates roughly into a relative VO2max of 30 or so, maybe a bit less. Unless you are 60 years old or older, it's a poor result for a male. The good news is that there is a lot of room for improvement.
hi Zen
whats the formula to work out vo2?

2012 Goals journal
http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/s...ad.php?t=52496

Old Wed, October 10th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #6
Andrew

Stats: 5'9"

Here is some info on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2max

A common way to estimate VO2 max is based on your 12minute run distance, here's a good calculator for it:

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/MinuteRun.html

5K - 20:22 (6/1/08)

Old Wed, October 10th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #7
Devery

Stats: As of 30 Mar 13... 69.5 inches 169 lbs 15.0% body fat

I would aim for at least 2 minute 1/4 mile lap times (8 min mile). At 158 lbs, you can do it.

http://devsfitnessjourney.blogspot.com/

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up three thousand times the memory.

Old Wed, October 10th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #8
user786

umm..acording the calculator the 8 minute mile is average!!
and i thought that 8 minute mile was good..im sure if i picked a average joe of the street they would struggle to get a 8 min mile...

2012 Goals journal

Old Wed, October 10th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #9
charlesg

I guess one component we forget is how long the total run is. If you can keep up an 8 min/mile for 10 miles or more, hats off. For an amateur runner I think that's a good pace. You would brake the 4hr mark on a marathon so... If we are talking about a 1/4 mile or 1 mile sprint at your "I may collapse at the end but I don't care" pace, than no, 8 min/mile is not very good.

Old Wed, October 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #10
user786

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesg View Post
I guess one component we forget is how long the total run is. If you can keep up an 8 min/mile for 10 miles or more, hats off. For an amateur runner I think that's a good pace. You would brake the 4hr mark on a marathon so... If we are talking about a 1/4 mile or 1 mile sprint at your "I may collapse at the end but I don't care" pace, than no, 8 min/mile is not very good.
Now that makes more sense

2012 Goals journal

Old Wed, October 10th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #11
Big_D

Stats: 6'1, one cheeseburger short of 300lb

For track the average was mid-5's. In high school anyways.

Old Wed, October 10th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #12
leftyx

leftyx is online
Stats: AUG 28, 2012 Wt 148 Bodyfat% 24.1 Abdomen: 36.5 ins

I don't know what you're trying to do, and I'm not a runner. But I can run a mile, or two. And if it takes me 15 minutes I don't care. I'm not in a race, it's exercise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/revitupmx5

Old Wed, October 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #13
goofnut

My personal opinion, ..I think a person in "ok" condition should be looking at running a mile in 7.5 minutes. I used to be a casual jogger and thats about what I did. It just takes consistent training over time. I think with a bit of effort and time you should be able to get down to 7 minutes. If you can get down to 6 minutes you can be proud of that....so to break it down, I doubt the average guy on the street can run a mile in 8 minutes, but people who have been training for awhile can, and as they get better they get closer to 7 minutes. If you can reach 6 minutes it's not a huge deal, but it does separate you from the pack and is a bit impressive, IMO. I'm about 53 and have a back problem so I mainly walk on the treadmill at an incline and alternate that with working on the cybex arc trainer, but I think next summer I'll go to a track to see what I can do. I'd be dissapointed if it was over 8 minutes.

Old Wed, October 10th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #14
newcomer

I run a mile in about 6 mins but I always thought my pace is quick and would rather run slower for longer distances. I would like to aim at running two miles without stopping in about 15 mins.

EDIT: Just measured the distance I run on wikimapia.org. It turned out to be 0.8 miles.

Last edited by newcomer; Wed, October 10th, 2007 at 07:38 PM..

Old Wed, October 10th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #15
fullpen

Stats: 5'7", 159.2lbs. BF: 11%-ish, on SGX!

Quote:

Thanks!
i'm 5'7", 159 lbs. I can run a single mile in well under 8 minutes if I choose to. I rarely run just a mile though, I try to go for 2.5 miles at a time and I slow my pace down to a shade quicker than what your are doing.

Biggest tip I can give you: forget what average means or whatever the hell benchmark people worry about. Compare yourself to last week, last month. The only better person that matters is a better you. Focus on your improvement.

I started running honestly at the beginning of this summer. I was mad out of shape and I couldn't hardly run a mile in under 12 minutes. Not even 5 full months later I've made EPIC improvements. You can do it if you want to. I couldn't care less if I ever hit a 7 or 6 minute mile in my life. I just know I'm a hell of a lot faster, healthier, and most importantly, happier for it.

On Week 3 of SGX.

300 Squat / 365 DL / 190 Bench

Old Thu, October 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #16
charlesg

I am 100% with you on this one fullpen... You are your own best benchmark. Try to improve first, than maintain a bit, improve some more and so on. You can apply this simple rule to pretty much everything you do without worrying about what everybody else is doing.

Old Thu, October 11th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #17
phillydude

Let's not forget the original poster is from England, so he's measuring in metric. I'm 43, have been running consistantly for three years, and my best time in the 5K (3.1 miles) is 22.20ish, which is a 7.11 pace.

Old Thu, October 11th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #18
Rise

Stats: 5'9 - 155lbs.

i used to be able to run a 5 min (flat) mile. now... i'm thinking i might be able to do it in 7.5mins, and that's pushing it. i doubt the 8 min mile avg is done with "off the street" people and is probably more likely for high school kids. in high school, guys had to run the mile in under 7.5 or 8 mins and the girls had to do it under 9.5 or 10 mins (hard to remember now). those are the goals i would start to shoot for if i was trying to get back down to a 5 minute mile... which now sounds like a summer challenge