Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Main Fitness Forums > Nutrition & Supplements

Nutrition & Supplements Food, nutrition and supplements.

Testosterone Supplement?
Old Tue, October 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM   #1
Cramp11

Sex: Male
Stats: Stats: Height: 6'1" Weight: 191lbs (187 lbs - May 2007) Body Fat : N/A (21% - May 2007) Goal : Finish hockey season and then get back into weights
Default Testosterone Supplement?

Anyone use one? The legal kind. I don't want to turn this into a steroid thread. (which I know is not allowed anyways)

I just ordered some protein powder and something called Ultimate Nutrition TestostroGrow 2 HP caught my eye. I read the blurb about it, but decided not to bother.

Supplement Facts:
Serving Size: 3 Tablets
Servings Per Container: 42
Amount Per Serving:
Chrysin (100% pure) 800mg
Tribulus Terrestris 1500mg
(aerial, 45% saponins)
Saw Palmetto Extract (fruit) 200mg
Nettle Root Extract (0.8% sterols) 155mg
Avena Sativa Extract (10:1) 90mg
Indole-3-Carbinol (I3C) 40mg
Daidzein 30mg
Hawthorne Extract (fruit) 130mg
Cucurbita Pepo Extract (10:1) 120mg
Alpha Lipoic Acid 160mg

My wife is thinks I should have ordered it. She thinks I have a crappy testosterone level because I'm soooo mellow. I don't get mad, I don't get pumped/excited watching sports, playing sports, doing anything... I'm just mellow man. Even lifting... I'm just meh.

Even if this product doesn't do anything, I'm wondering if it'd have a placebo effect where my mind might think it'd doing something so I get pumped up.

It's $60, but you only take 3 pills for 21 days and then nothing for 3-4 weeks. You get enough to do two 2 day cycles. That's only $20 a month.

Thoughts?

Old Tue, October 2nd, 2007, 08:43 PM   #2
MannishBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramp11 View Post
Anyone use one? The legal kind. I don't want to turn this into a steroid thread. (which I know is not allowed anyways)

I just ordered some protein powder and something called Ultimate Nutrition TestostroGrow 2 HP caught my eye. I read the blurb about it, but decided not to bother.

Supplement Facts:
Serving Size: 3 Tablets
Servings Per Container: 42
Amount Per Serving:
Chrysin (100% pure) 800mg
Tribulus Terrestris 1500mg
(aerial, 45% saponins)
Saw Palmetto Extract (fruit) 200mg
Nettle Root Extract (0.8% sterols) 155mg
Avena Sativa Extract (10:1) 90mg
Indole-3-Carbinol (I3C) 40mg
Daidzein 30mg
Hawthorne Extract (fruit) 130mg
Cucurbita Pepo Extract (10:1) 120mg
Alpha Lipoic Acid 160mg

My wife is thinks I should have ordered it. She thinks I have a crappy testosterone level because I'm soooo mellow. I don't get mad, I don't get pumped/excited watching sports, playing sports, doing anything... I'm just mellow man. Even lifting... I'm just meh.

Even if this product doesn't do anything, I'm wondering if it'd have a placebo effect where my mind might think it'd doing something so I get pumped up.

It's $60, but you only take 3 pills for 21 days and then nothing for 3-4 weeks. You get enough to do two 2 day cycles. That's only $20 a month.

Thoughts?
If you truly think you've got low T, get it checked by a doctor. Most of this stuff is probably suspect as to real effects on T, although some like tribulus can supposedly affect libido. You might get some small help, but you'd be better off if you truly have low levels to get on a prescription IMO.

After chemo, my levels never recovered, so I'm on the lowest dose of androgel to get me into normal range. Best thing I've done is to get over my hang up about it and start treatment.

But just because you're a calm guy has nothing to do with low testosterone. Some of us are just made that way That's not a bad thing IMO.

Old Tue, October 2nd, 2007, 09:20 PM   #3
HevyMetal

Stats: A shining example of Darwinian hypothesis...

yeh....I've used something similar in cycle-nature.

I don't have low T.O.....I just wanted the extra "afterburner" for muscle-mass.

The ones I've tried always have Tribulus/Avena Sativa +plus some other things.

I think they work...with a caveat.

I found at not-so-big-doses I got results...both in terms of more strength and a frisky libido.

But when I went super-dose I noticed my attitude changed. I became more surly and I always felt like punching something. Plus I had a shorter "fuse".

Plus when I go "big-dose" I get a sort of a continual burning feeling in the stomach for a couple of hours.

Haven't taken any at all after the last cycle which was a while back.

I usually start using it when I'm using every tool in the box to get a poundage edge etc. etc.

I don't have any regrets using it but I think I'm going to keep the doses a little bit lower as it appears I don't need that much anyway.

Just because you're a "laid-back" kind of guy doesn't mean your testo is low.

I'd look for symptoms like:- depression,low sex drive, muscular weakness, lethargy....but even so you could still have low testo without these symptoms....so your best bet is to get checked out by the doc for a T.O. analysis.

Old Wed, October 3rd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Cramp11

Stats: Stats: Height: 6'1" Weight: 191lbs (187 lbs - May 2007) Body Fat : N/A (21% - May 2007) Goal : Finish hockey season and then get back into weights

Thanks for the feedback. Next time I'm at the doctor I'll ask about getting a test done.

I know being mellow isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there are times that I just wish my adrenaline would spike. Perfect example... watching the stanley cup with a room full of my buddies. Close game... my team wins... everyone is jumping around all pumped except me. sure I'm excited, but I don't feel anything.

Oh well... it's been 34 years and I've dealt with it. It was more of a curiousity thing. I don't want to be like Hank Hill and go through puberty again.

Zinc citrate is my first choice for testosterone support.
Old Thu, October 4th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Emulitz

Stats: 6ft, 157lbs, 8-10% bodyfat (maintained).
Default Zinc citrate is my first choice for testosterone support.

My first choice supplement to try for supporting testosterone production is Zinc. You can get a two month supply of the most absorbable form (zinc citrate capsules) for less than $4. Works well in tandem with Magnesium (citrate). Sedentary people are widely deficient in these minerals, and this is further magnified in those who exercise heavily (which depletes them).

ZMA is a popular supplement combining zinc and magnesium, but I prefer to take separate zinc citrate and magnesium citrate capsules. I'm skeptical of ZMA because it's best taken before bed, yet contains aspartate and B6. Seems to stimulate the mind which makes for some crazy dreams (kind of fun actually), but made me feel slightly neurotic after a few weeks use. Personally I'd go with zinc/magnesium citrate capsules, although many take ZMA with nothing but positive results.

Old Thu, October 4th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #6
Cramp11

I've seen ZMA many times, but never read the label or thought anything of it. I'll have to read up on it. Zinc and Mag too.

It'll be awhile before I order anything since I just got a big order. I supplement protein, but still try to eat real food when I can.

Crazy dreams eh? Trippy!

Old Thu, October 4th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #7
nmead

Stats: 6'4" 275ish

Quote:
I've seen ZMA many times, but never read the label or thought anything of it. I'll have to read up on it. Zinc and Mag too.

It'll be awhile before I order anything since I just got a big order. I supplement protein, but still try to eat real food when I can.

Crazy dreams eh? Trippy!

I like the dreams! I am not one that usually has them, but when I supplement with ZMA my mind is overactive at night, although it does seem to mellow out after a few weeks.

Good stuff!

Nate

Old Thu, October 4th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #8
chang

Stats: 5'10" 175lbs Under 10% Bodyfat

zma is one of the best supps i've ever taken

Old Fri, October 5th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #9
HevyMetal

Cramp11...I have exactly the same reaction when I'm watching NHL hockey. I don't mind watching...but I'm not emotionally involved in it.

There are very few sports that will elicit a huge reaction out of me.

The ones that do are Boxing,Martial arts, UFC etc.

I could care less about football...or basketball.

Even when the Canucks were in the finals,although I kept up on the games I couldn't get into "table-thumping/Neanderthal grunt" mode.

Old Fri, October 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #10
virtualadrian

Stats: Currently: 164lbs ~10%BF(-Maintaining-)

Being mellow doesn't mean you have low T. , I am quite aggressive, and if anyone that knows me reads this they'll laugh and say that's an understatement. I don't get excited at games either.

I tried Tribulus and it really messes with your head, least it did with mine. I would get ANGRY! for no reason and at no one... ahem... It also made me get pimples or possibly cysts... so I quit taking it. It did on the other hand get my libido going, and it may have helped with muscle growth.

Eventually the cysts went away and I got the aggression under control. I had to cycle it 5 days on 2 days off. Then 4 weeks on and 1 week off. Even with Tribulus my body got used to it I think, and I wasn't about to up the dosage. So, I got off it for now.

From what I've read even with roids you have to constantly change what stacks you are doing and continue to up the dosage. That and it really messes you up. No I haven't tried 'em, but I've seen the effects on folks.

Anyway, point is that before you go messing with your body's chemestry go see a doctor, as something else may be wrong. For example, I had / have high BP... apparently that was mercury poisoning throwing things off. Another side effect is outbursts of rage and anger, so I always thought I was gifted in the T production department... as it turns out I was being poisoned by a Neurotoxin.....

My JSF Journal

Old Sat, October 6th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #11
Cramp11

HeavyMetal, UFC and poker... Woooooooooooh! I guess being mellow is great for poker because I have rockets or a 7-2, I look the same. I think I'll join the WPT.

virtualadrian, sounds freaky to me. I don't want any of that. I think I'll just try good ol' hard work and see what happens.

ZMA experience
Old Sat, October 6th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #12
Emulitz

Stats: 6ft, 157lbs, 8-10% bodyfat (maintained).
Default ZMA experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmead View Post
I like the dreams! I am not one that usually has them, but when I supplement with ZMA my mind is overactive at night, although it does seem to mellow out after a few weeks.

Good stuff!

Nate
Yeah the dreams caused by ZMA be fun. ZMA seems to relax the body while somewhately revving up the brain. The amount of brain stimulation probably being dependent on an individuals reaction to aspartate and b6 before sleep. People report different results.

I took ZMA several years ago and entirely enjoyed ZMA's effects. Was able to fall asleep a little easier and more deeply. Last few years I've been working 3rd shift (graveyard shift), and I think the mild mental stimulation (from ZMA) was causing me to wake up easier in my noisy household. Thus caused the mild neuroticism I mentioned in last post. In a less noisy sleeping environment I think I would have stayed with the ZMA (instead of switching to Zinc/Magnesium citrate capsules). Tried wearing earplugs, but unfortunately I end up going deaf after a few days of sleeping with them (feels like I get swimmers ear). Planning to get off 3rd shift job soon.

Last edited by Emulitz; Sat, October 6th, 2007 at 02:39 PM..

Old Sat, October 6th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #13
HevyMetal

It is well documented that an over supply of B-6 will have you dreaming in "big-screen".

Old Sun, October 21st, 2007, 07:44 AM   #14
Cramp11

Question

Sorry to dig this thread back up, but I have a ZMA question. I read the package and it says to take 3 pills on an empty stomach before bed and not to have any dairy.

I usually have a shake (w/ milk) and some nuts before bed. Is that going to effect the pills?

I don't know the best time to take them. The only break I have eating is between dinner and bed. The rest of the day I eat every 3 hrs.

Any ideas?

I don't have the product yet. I was just reading about it again online.

Old Sun, October 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM   #15
nmead

Quote:
Sorry to dig this thread back up, but I have a ZMA question. I read the package and it says to take 3 pills on an empty stomach before bed and not to have any dairy.

I usually have a shake (w/ milk) and some nuts before bed. Is that going to effect the pills?

I don't know the best time to take them. The only break I have eating is between dinner and bed. The rest of the day I eat every 3 hrs.

Any ideas?

Take the pills 30 mins to an hour or so before your shake. They don't 'knock you out' so don't worry about that.

Nate

Old Sun, October 21st, 2007, 01:02 PM   #16
Big_D

Stats: 6'1, one cheeseburger short of 300lb

Quote:

Any ideas?

I think it has something to do with Calcium blocking the zinc and or magnesium absorbtion, not 100% sure, though.

Old Sun, October 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM   #17
Cramp11

^ that's what I read. I guess I could have a shake with water at bedtime. Either that or have it as soon as I get home from work. I have rice/chicken at about 3pm, get home at 4:30ish and eat dinner around 6:00ish. I don't have milk until after my workout in the evening.

I actually ordered some ZMA today so I'll probably start on it next Mon.

Old Sun, October 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM   #18
nmead

Quote:
^ that's what I read. I guess I could have a shake with water at bedtime. Either that or have it as soon as I get home from work. I have rice/chicken at about 3pm, get home at 4:30ish and eat dinner around 6:00ish. I don't have milk until after my workout in the evening.

I actually ordered some ZMA today so I'll probably start on it next Mon.

No need to change from milk to water. Just take your pills 30 mins sooner than your shake. They will be absorbed before you dump calcium in you stomach.

Nate