Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Nutrition & Supplements

Nutrition & Supplements Food, nutrition and supplements.

To much fish oil can cause stroke?
Old Sat, August 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #1
banderbe

Sex: Male
Default To much fish oil can cause stroke?

I was reading the Fish Oil entry on Wikipedia, and came across this rather surprising statement:

Quote:
It (the National Institutes of Health) also lists possible safety concerns: "Intake of 3 grams per day or greater of omega-3 fatty acids may increase the risk of bleeding, although there is little evidence of significant bleeding risk at lower doses. Very large intakes of fish oil/omega-3 fatty acids ("Eskimo" amounts) may increase the risk of hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke."
Has anyone ever heard this before? I know some folks here take more than three grams per day, and a recent post I saw quoted Charles Poliquin as recommending 30 to 45 grams per day!

Last edited by banderbe; Sat, August 18th, 2007 at 05:15 PM..

Old Sun, August 19th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Gordo

Stats: STILL trying to count to a googol, man that's a big number

Yes it has been documented that large doses of omega-3 can prolong bleeding (note they said "may"):
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/94/9/2337
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fis...atient-fishoil

There are many studies which tout the preventative effects and there are several that indicate that too much is not good for you as well.

Mega-dosing fish oil might be of value as a curative method but I really question if mega-dosing fish oil all the time would be a good idea.

Poliquin can say whatever he wants, it's up to you to verify what he says. He's not a doctor nor does he hold any medical degree.

His expertise is kinesiolgy not nutrition.
possesses a B.Sc. in Kinesiology and a M.Sc. in Exercise Physiology.

In my opinion 35-45 g of quality fish oil is expensive and is a great method to sell lot of flame out for T-nation . It's completely your choice to make though
Finally to show all those who feel powerlifters are FAT that there just may be some muscle under what you may see as fat but we call leverage. Trust me. Getting lean is one hell of a lot easier than building it in the first place
-Dave Tate

one-third of all vegetables consumed in the United States come from just three sources: French fries, potato chips, and iceberg lettuce.
-Marion Nestle, What to Eat (2006)

Old Sun, August 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #3
Chew

Stats: 6'1" 195lbs ~13%BF

Quote:
...Intake of 3 grams per day or greater of omega-3 fatty acids...
Of the Fish Body Oils I take, only 30% of its mass is Omega-3's, 180mg/120mg DHA/EPA in a 1000mg pill. I take 4 a day, so I should be taking in about 1.2 grams of Omega-3's daily.
This should be similar to other Fish body oils too, so, if you're taking 10 or more a day, you could be concerned, I wouldnt be..