Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Nutrition & Supplements

Nutrition & Supplements Food, nutrition and supplements.

Bulk BCAA calories
Old Sat, August 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #1
chris0374

Sex: Male
Default Bulk BCAA calories

I was wondering how many calories (or grams of BCAAs) are in a tsp of bulk BCAAs? I saw John's food log and did my own calculations based on the product fact on the container and they do not match... I can't put them on my food scale because the scale doesn't register for such small weight as 5 grams (which is the amount i'l be using throughout the day).

Old Sat, August 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #2
MannishBoy

I've not seen them listed on anything, but I suspect they would be the same as protein...4 calories per gram.

Old Sat, August 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #3
mastover

Stats: Pro Natural Bodybuilder

The total calories for the 3 amino acids (valine, leucine, isoleucene) is about 1 calorie per gram. If, as an example, you used 15 gr bcaa powder during training, it would roughly equate to 15 calories. You'd burn those calories up on your first warmup set alone. Hardly worth counting the calories.

If you were consuming an EAA product which cantained anywhere from 18-22 amino acids, these would constitute more of a complete protein fraction. Four calories per gram. In that case, I'd consider counting the calories especially if they were included with meals.

Old Sat, August 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #4
MannishBoy

Thanks mastover, I've always wondered that.

I think another place I saw the caloric info in BCAAs was in what trueprotein.com has. If you make a formula, their nutritional display shows it as 4 calories per gram (120 calories for 30 g). I bet they just took the logical path I was going down

Old Sat, August 4th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #5
mastover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannishBoy View Post
Thanks mastover, I've always wondered that.

I think another place I saw the caloric info in BCAAs was in what trueprotein.com has. If you make a formula, their nutritional display shows it as 4 calories per gram (120 calories for 30 g). I bet they just took the logical path I was going down
I think there may be some flaws in TP's custom solution calculating process. When you type in isoleucine, it registers 0 gr of calories, and 0 gr of protein. Yet when you type in valine or leucine, it regisers each one as 4 grams of protein per gram.

No biggie though. I usually never count the calories in the bcaa's I use during my training. I have enough probs keeping tabs on all the other foods I eat during the day. When you're running on 3-4 remaining brain cells, it kinda gets tough to do. LOL

Old Sat, August 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #6
chris0374

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastover View Post
The total calories for the 3 amino acids (valine, leucine, isoleucene) is about 1 calorie per gram. If, as an example, you used 15 gr bcaa powder during training, it would roughly equate to 15 calories. You'd burn those calories up on your first warmup set alone. Hardly worth counting the calories.

If you were consuming an EAA product which cantained anywhere from 18-22 amino acids, these would constitute more of a complete protein fraction. Four calories per gram. In that case, I'd consider counting the calories especially if they were included with meals.
I never knew that. So the 1Teaspoon of bulk bcaa equalling 5g of BCAA in John's food log is correct?

Old Sat, August 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #7
mastover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0374 View Post
I never knew that. So the 1Teaspoon of bulk bcaa equalling 5g of BCAA in John's food log is correct?
It depends on the consistancy of the powder. A very fine powder will yield more weight density per teaspoon, as opposed to a courser, fluffier mix.

I'd estimate anywhere from 3-5 grams.