Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Participatory Sports, General Health & Injuries > General Health/Fitness, Health Conditions & Injuries

General Health/Fitness, Health Conditions & Injuries Help with injuries, health conditions and general health & fitness topics that don't fall under existing forum categories.

I am getting some muscle twitching in my right quadricep
Old Mon, March 5th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #1
dell27

Sex: Male
Exclamation I am getting some muscle twitching in my right quadricep

I am on week three of Bill Starrs 5X5 intermediate weight lifting program. This week, my quadricep has developed a twitch. Its weird, I can feel my heartbeat in my quadricep, it comes and goes, at least 10 times a day. What could this be and should I take a break from doing squats? I squat three days per week on the program for those who arent familiar with it. Thanks in advance.

Old Mon, March 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #2
RTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell27 View Post
I am on week three of Bill Starrs 5X5 intermediate weight lifting program. This week, my quadricep has developed a twitch. Its weird, I can feel my heartbeat in my quadricep, it comes and goes, at least 10 times a day. What could this be and should I take a break from doing squats? I squat three days per week on the program for those who arent familiar with it. Thanks in advance.
In January, people thought you might be over doing thing and you had trembles in arm, now you have twiches in leg. What sort of weights are you using for squats 5X5? Doing intense workouts require you have sufficeint rest and recovery. On the surface, you might be overtraining. Do you think you might be? Why not take a week off?

The only person whose behavior we can control is our own. All we can give another person is information. What happened in the past has everything to do with what we are today, but we can only satisfy our basic needs right now and plan to continue satisfying them in the future. Dr. William Glasser

Wisdom is the ability to put things in perspective. RTE

Old Mon, March 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #3
dell27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtestes View Post
In January, people thought you might be over doing thing and you had trembles in arm, now you have twiches in leg. What sort of weights are you using for squats 5X5? Doing intense workouts require you have sufficeint rest and recovery. On the surface, you might be overtraining. Do you think you might be? Why not take a week off?
Yeah, I went from working out 5-6 days a week down to 3 times a week. I am trying a clean bulk for the next 2 months and then cut for summer. I decided to go ahead with the Bill Starr 5x5 program to get a bit bigger and increase my strength. So far so good its working! I am not lifting that much weight on my squats. I started week 3 today. 5 sets, 5 reps. Weight includes the olympic bar. I do cardio twice a week for about 45 minutes. (roller hockey)

Week1

Mon

Wed

Friday

Week2

Mon

Wed

Fri

Week 3

Mon (today)

Old Mon, March 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #4
STorpedo

My shoulder tends to do that when I'm following a strict routine, never heard of a quadriceps though. I do have to say when your muscle flexes on its own it means a good amount of strain has been put on it and, if anything, it means that you're having good workouts, and use the muscle a lot. 10 times a day might be too much, but I like when my shoulder twiches, its kind of nice. Anyways, a few of my friends have same muscle-twicthing thing going, so as far as I know it hasn't killed anybody, and you shouldn't be worried.

Old Mon, March 19th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #5
zenpharaohs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell27 View Post
I am not lifting that much weight on my squats. I started week 3 today. 5 sets, 5 reps. Weight includes the olympic bar.

Mon (today)

Pounds or kg?

What do you weigh? How tall are you?

VO2max: 55
65 x 225# squat
50 x 315# deadlift in 9:50.6
31 x 405# deadlift in 9:45
46 x 410# trap bar deadlift in ten minutes

Quote:
Slim Pickens, a.k.a. Major Kong, captain of the plane, was not told the movie was a comedy. To save money, Peter Sellers was originally supposed to play Major Kong, but allegedly had trouble developing the Western/cowboy accent.

Old Thu, March 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Josh601

Stats: 5'6" 145

I've had twitching in a few different muscles also when I overuse them... Generally it's not workout related tho. I agree it's kinda nice, it's not a bad feeling. Anyways as everyones been mentioning your probably putting more strain on it than you should, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just let up a little.

Old Sun, March 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #7
Cityman

Make sure you're taking in enough water.

Old Tue, March 27th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #8
iceweaselsarecool

Sex: Female

My calves do something like this constantly. If I'm sitting with them relaxed it looks like I have maggots writhing under my skin, as the muscle sits there twitching in different patterns. I'm not sure if that's common, but I think it's normal for me.