Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Main Fitness Forums > General Health & Fitness, Injuries and Sports

General Health & Fitness, Injuries and Sports Participatory sports, help with injuries and general health & fitness topics that don't fall under weight training, fat loss or nutrition.

How long does it take for lungs to recover...
Old Wed, January 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Infamix

Sex: Male
Default How long does it take for lungs to recover...

from smoking? I'm 17 years old and very active and I was active during my smoking phase. I smoked cigarettes on and off, I've probably smoked about 100 cigs my whole life, which isn't alot in comparison to the average smoker, but it's still bad. I've smoked a ton of bud for about 1 year but I've quit that too. How long do you think it will take for my lungs to recover, or do they never recover? Thanks in advanced....

Old Wed, January 10th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #2
BigIzz

To preface I'm no doctor but I don't think 100 cigarettes will have any long term impact. Cigarette smoke is most harmful because people expose their lungs to it frequently over very long periods of time. Seems like the marijuana may have been more harmful but you are very young and I wouldn't really worry about it. Again, generally problems related to smoking are caused over a very long period of time. Just keep clean from now on and I doubt you have any reason for concern.

Old Wed, January 10th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #3
Infamix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIzz View Post
To preface I'm no doctor but I don't think 100 cigarettes will have any long term impact. Cigarette smoke is most harmful because people expose their lungs to it frequently over very long periods of time. Seems like the marijuana may have been more harmful but you are very young and I wouldn't really worry about it. Again, generally problems related to smoking are caused over a very long period of time. Just keep clean from now on and I doubt you have any reason for concern.
Hey thanks BigIzz...you have me feeling better about my stupid mistakes.

Old Wed, January 10th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #4
zenpharaohs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
from smoking? I'm 17 years old and very active and I was active during my smoking phase. I smoked cigarettes on and off, I've probably smoked about 100 cigs my whole life, which isn't alot in comparison to the average smoker, but it's still bad. I've smoked a ton of bud for about 1 year but I've quit that too. How long do you think it will take for my lungs to recover, or do they never recover? Thanks in advanced....
The increased cardiovascular risk is just about gone after ten years. The cancer risk goes down, but doesn't go all the way to never smoked. On the other hand, 100 cigarettes is not that big a deal. It will follow you around in insurance rates for about 10 years though.

VO2max: 55
65 x 225# squat
50 x 315# deadlift in 9:50.6
31 x 405# deadlift in 9:45
46 x 410# trap bar deadlift in ten minutes

Quote:
Slim Pickens, a.k.a. Major Kong, captain of the plane, was not told the movie was a comedy. To save money, Peter Sellers was originally supposed to play Major Kong, but allegedly had trouble developing the Western/cowboy accent.

Old Thu, January 11th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #5
Infamix

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpharaohs View Post
The increased cardiovascular risk is just about gone after ten years. The cancer risk goes down, but doesn't go all the way to never smoked. On the other hand, 100 cigarettes is not that big a deal. It will follow you around in insurance rates for about 10 years though.
Damn how will insurance know? Will the nicotine still be in my blood?

Old Thu, January 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Bluestreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
Damn how will insurance know? Will the nicotine still be in my blood?
They don't test for nicotine. Your insurance will ask you when you sign up if you're a smoker.

I'm calling my best friend daily (unfortunately, he lives 40 miles away) to help him get off of cigarettes after smoking for almost 20 years. I've done some research and found that you should experience better lung function in as little as three months after quitting smoking, and near-complete recovery of lung function in less than a year. The longer you stay a non-smoker, the better you'll breathe - though these times are approximate and are greatly affected by where you live - smoking problems and the time it takes to heal can be compounded if you live at high altitudes or in dry, arid climates. Some studies claim that complete and total reversal of smoking damage takes up to 15 years.

Since you've only smoked a handful of packs of cigarettes in your life, I highly doubt you have to worry about any of this. Just stay away from smoking, okay?

-R

[Vince Gironda's 8x8s] [ExRx.net]

Music cleanses the soul of the dust of everyday life. --Berthold Auerbach

Old Thu, January 11th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #7
Infamix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
They don't test for nicotine. Your insurance will ask you when you sign up if you're a smoker.

I'm calling my best friend daily (unfortunately, he lives 40 miles away) to help him get off of cigarettes after smoking for almost 20 years. I've done some research and found that you should experience better lung function in as little as three months after quitting smoking, and near-complete recovery of lung function in less than a year. The longer you stay a non-smoker, the better you'll breathe - though these times are approximate and are greatly affected by where you live - smoking problems and the time it takes to heal can be compounded if you live at high altitudes or in dry, arid climates. Some studies claim that complete and total reversal of smoking damage takes up to 15 years.

Since you've only smoked a handful of packs of cigarettes in your life, I highly doubt you have to worry about any of this. Just stay away from smoking, okay?

-R
Hey that's awesome that your helping your friend quit, it must be really tough for him after 20 years. Thanks for the advice, and I will most definitely stay away from smoking now. Btw, I thought I'd mention that the people on this forum are friendly and helpful compared to the other ones I've been on.