Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Gym Equipment

Gym Equipment Cardio, strength training and other gym equipment questions and reviews.

hacking iFit workouts
Old Sun, October 29th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #1
cyclone

Sex: Male
Stats: 46, 194 12% bf, cutting for summer VO2Max 51
Default hacking iFit workouts

Just wondering if anyone else has a desire to create their own iFIT workouts for treadmill or elliptical. Ifit.com sucks, the workouts suck and the site is cumbersome and clunky. I have figured out how to do it, my own music, resistance and pace changes, length of workout, etc. I put them in MP3 format and put them on my Ipod. It works great with my Reebok elliptical (rl900) I'll try it with the Precor stuff at the gym this week. I do gobs of cardio, just trying to relieve the monotony a bit If I could just figure out how to change the ramp....I don't think my machine can do that. If anyone is interested, lemme know.

Old Sun, October 29th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #2
bradh

Stats: 6', 255lbs

Look into audio books. You can download them directly off some sites.

Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.—Thomas A. Edison

Old Sun, October 29th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #3
cyclone

My point was that I figured out how to hack IFIT workouts, I like to roll my own.
I haven't made a workout using an audiobook but that is a good idea. I just like making my own workouts, my tunes, etc. I could probably add a control track to a movie file, I've got Southpark, rock movies (Queen w/Paul Rodgers) action sports movies, etc. on my video ipod. Like I said, I do a lot of cardio. I just thought there might be someone else who might like to know how to do it
Pete

Old Mon, October 30th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #4
bradh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
My point was that I figured out how to hack IFIT workouts, I like to roll my own.
I haven't made a workout using an audiobook but that is a good idea. I just like making my own workouts, my tunes, etc. I could probably add a control track to a movie file, I've got Southpark, rock movies (Queen w/Paul Rodgers) action sports movies, etc. on my video ipod. Like I said, I do a lot of cardio. I just thought there might be someone else who might like to know how to do it
Pete
No idea dude. I've thought of getting into audio books myself. But i still haven't gotten the cardio bug.

About to do some morning LISS now. First time in months.

Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.—Thomas A. Edison

Old Mon, October 30th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #5
CJohnson

Stats: Height: 5'8 Weight: 200 - down from 375! Body Fat: 22-25%

I'm a big fan of audiobooks during workouts. My favorite is using audible.com's newspaper service. They throw in a complementary audio subscription to the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times. They are great for the treadmill/elliptical. 45-60 minutes in length, and they come in at 5:30am every day. I listen to the journal myself, and its a good way to get the concise business news for the day. The length is perfect for a workout too. I never like listening to fiction during a workout; if my mind wanders (as it is prone to doing) I'll have missed something vital. Newspapers and other periodicals (audible has a bunch to listen to) are great, since I don't mind so much if I miss part of an article.

Old Mon, October 30th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #6
bradh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJohnson View Post
I'm a big fan of audiobooks during workouts. My favorite is using audible.com's newspaper service. They throw in a complementary audio subscription to the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times. They are great for the treadmill/elliptical. 45-60 minutes in length, and they come in at 5:30am every day. I listen to the journal myself, and its a good way to get the concise business news for the day. The length is perfect for a workout too. I never like listening to fiction during a workout; if my mind wanders (as it is prone to doing) I'll have missed something vital. Newspapers and other periodicals (audible has a bunch to listen to) are great, since I don't mind so much if I miss part of an article.
Neat, that's actually the site i have bookmarked.

How do you listen to them? I pretty new to this type of stuff.

Old Mon, October 30th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #7
CJohnson

Stats: Height: 5'8 Weight: 200 - down from 375! Body Fat: 22-25%

I have a phone/PDA combo now , and audible's program will automatically download it directly to your device over the cellular network, or wi-fi. It was downloaded right before I woke up, and I was ready to go do cardio. I never even need to connect to a PC.

Before I had the fancy new PDA, I used a cheap Sandisk Sansa E140 ($60). Audible does RSS feeds, and it would automatically download the program at about 5:30am (for a newspaper). As soon as I woke up, I plugged in my mp3 player and transferred it over. Took about 2 minutes. I still use the Sansa when I go on runs, since it is much lighter than my PDA.

Only caveat is that not all mp3 players support audible. They use some protected format only a few devices support. Ipods of all variety are definitely supported, but you can check their site to see if your device works. My Sandisk works perfectly with it.

It really makes me feel productive with my cardio. I'm a total news junkie, and I never get time to read the newspaper. I can get a summarized form of the news (I don't know about the New York Times, but the Wall Street Journal usually has the headlines, 2-3 of the headline stories, the editorials, and a special feature article in each section) every day of the week. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

Old Mon, October 30th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #8
leftyx

leftyx is online
Stats: AUG 28, 2012 Wt 148 Bodyfat% 24.1 Abdomen: 36.5 ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has a desire to create their own iFIT workouts for treadmill or elliptical. Ifit.com sucks, the workouts suck and the site is cumbersome and clunky. I have figured out how to do it, my own music, resistance and pace changes, length of workout, etc. I put them in MP3 format and put them on my Ipod. It works great with my Reebok elliptical (rl900) I'll try it with the Precor stuff at the gym this week. I do gobs of cardio, just trying to relieve the monotony a bit If I could just figure out how to change the ramp....I don't think my machine can do that. If anyone is interested, lemme know.
Neat little system that iFit. I used it for my Pro-form elliptical before the motor went bad. I also purchased a program online to make my own workouts. I have the program if anyone is interested. I can also tell you where to download it from. Just in case anyone is interested.

That's great that you wrote a program. I'm sure that's what the guy that was selling his program did. I think it has something to do with the signals the mp3 sends to the iFit module on your machine. Good work.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/revitupmx5

Old Mon, October 30th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #9
cyclone

Actually, I was gonna write a program but I found one that did it, probably the same program you used. It is called I2workout, you can still find it out there on some download sites. I use that program to make the "chirps" that control the machine. I then play the workout, and record the chirps into some multitrack recording software I have. I then import other audio (mp3s) and use them as the background music. You have to mute the audio during the chirps or the machine won't respond to them. Once I've added all the tunes and stuff, I mix it down to an MP3 and put it on my Ipod. It's not that complex, it sounds like a lot of grief but it's worth it to me because of the amount of cardio that I do. It gets old just putting the machine at one resistance and ramp, I like to mix it up a bit.

I like doing it this way because I can make effective, progressively tougher workouts instead of using the canned Ifit ones. I also tell myself to drink water every five minutes, I forget otherwise!

Old Wed, November 22nd, 2006, 11:04 AM   #10
mooredan

cyclone, Do you have the newer version of the software? I've found an older version on some download sites but it has some bugs. Unfortunately, the author has shut down downloading of the software from his site www.i2workout.com

Thanks.

Old Mon, May 21st, 2007, 10:12 PM   #11
raceingmachine

Cyclone,
Am interested in purchasing a registered copy of this program. Run marathons and ultra marathons and this would be great.
Can I purchase a copy from you, as the site is now shut down.
Thanks for your time.

Raceingmachine

Old Mon, May 21st, 2007, 10:16 PM   #12
raceingmachine

Leftyx
Would love to have a copy of the program. The copy I have does not work.

Will be glad to pay you for it.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance

Raceingmachine

Old Tue, May 22nd, 2007, 12:40 PM   #13
leftyx

leftyx is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceingmachine View Post
Leftyx
Would love to have a copy of the program. The copy I have does not work.

Will be glad to pay you for it.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance

Raceingmachine
I'm at work right now. I have the program on my PC at home. The program zipped is about 1.5mb. If you can handle that in email then I can send you the program. I don't know the restrictions on it as far as it being unregistered. I might be able to hook you up with the guy that wrote the program for a registration number.

Old Tue, May 22nd, 2007, 11:27 PM   #14
raceingmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyx View Post
I'm at work right now. I have the program on my PC at home. The program zipped is about 1.5mb. If you can handle that in email then I can send you the program. I don't know the restrictions on it as far as it being unregistered. I might be able to hook you up with the guy that wrote the program for a registration number.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Please do send the program via email. Think my box will hold. Tested with a 2.8mb and it worked.

Can't wait to get started using it!

Please see if you can hook me up with the guy who wrote it so I can pay him for it and register it. Appreciate his work and do want to see that he is paid for it.

If there is anything I can help you with in the future, let me know.

My email address is: raceingmachine@aol.com

Again, thanks for all your time and help. It is appreciated!

raceingmachine

Old Wed, May 30th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #15
Stinger68

I too have been looking all over for this program and every place I find says its $19.95, but the link is dead. This is actually the only active topic I have found on it.

lefty were you ever able to get in contact with the guy who made the program, if you can help me, I would love to create my own workouts too.

Old Wed, May 30th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #16
leftyx

leftyx is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger68 View Post
I too have been looking all over for this program and every place I find says its $19.95, but the link is dead. This is actually the only active topic I have found on it.

lefty were you ever able to get in contact with the guy who made the program, if you can help me, I would love to create my own workouts too.
I'm at work now so I can't give you the information because it's on my home computer. I'll send you the same email I sent to Racingmachine. Its contents include the program and the an email address I had for the author about a year or two ago. I don't know if it's still valid. If you don't need the program, let me know and I'll send just the email address.

I haven't heard back from Racingmachine if he was able to get in touch with the author.

Give me your email address and I'll send you an email. You can put it here, or if you like, send me a personal message.

On second thought, would NEbuddy object to me posting the file and the author's email address that I have right here on this post? Or in a new post?

I don't know why the author doesn't support the program anymore so I can't see any problem with putting up a zip file and an email address to get registered?

Last edited by leftyx; Wed, May 30th, 2007 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: additional info needed

Old Wed, May 30th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #17
Stinger68

That would be great, thanks lefty.

Is it hard to figure out how to make routines with it?

Old Thu, May 31st, 2007, 11:03 PM   #18
leftyx

leftyx is online

OK here is the program.

iFit program attached

The email i have for the author is

mcuriale@gmail.com

That's all I have at this time...hope it helps
Attached Files
File Type: zip i2wo.zip (1.42 MB, 8902 views)

Old Mon, June 4th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #19
Stinger68

Thanks again lefty, I haven't got to use my new workouts because I still need to pick up a cord to attach my mp3 player, but I am sure it will work great, very easy to do.

Also I emailed the programmer and I will let you know if I do or do not hear back from him, thanks again!

Old Tue, June 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #20
leftyx

leftyx is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger68 View Post
Thanks again lefty, I haven't got to use my new workouts because I still need to pick up a cord to attach my mp3 player, but I am sure it will work great, very easy to do.

Also I emailed the programmer and I will let you know if I do or do not hear back from him, thanks again!
Good to hear. Let me know if you reach him.

I forget how the shareware license works. Do you get to make full length routines with the shareware, or is it time limited until you get the full version?

Jordan