Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Participatory Sports, General Health & Injuries > General Health/Fitness, Health Conditions & Injuries

General Health/Fitness, Health Conditions & Injuries Help with injuries, health conditions and general health & fitness topics that don't fall under existing forum categories.

muscle enzymes found in my blood
Old Thu, October 27th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #1
BO11

Sex: Male
Stats: 5'8 285
Default muscle enzymes found in my blood

I recently had some blood work done for the usual suspects. Every thing was normal except she said I had high amounts of Muscle Enzymes. Not sure what that meant. I assume that would be caused by working out and that would be a sign of me making progress by tearing down muscles. She ask me if I had been having muscle aches?

Anybody have any thoughts on the significants of high amounts of muscle enzymes and its causes and are there different kinds of muscle enzymes. Can't find to much about it on the internet.

thanks

Old Thu, October 27th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #2
Gila Monster

Sex: Female
Stats: July 2008 Height 165 cm Weight 54 kg Biceps: 24.5 cm Goal: 25.5 cm Waist: 69.1 cm Goal: 65 cm Thighs: 53.2 cm Goal: 50 cm Calves: 33.4 cm Goal: 35 cm

Maybe she ment muscle milk?
Not sure if that can penetrate your blood stream though..

Old Thu, October 27th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #3
Butterflyer

Sex: Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by BO11
I assume that would be caused by working out and that would be a sign of me making progress by tearing down muscles.
I think it can happen from muscle injury, so you may be right about that. Ask her which enzymes they are and if she thinks it's anything you should be concerned about. Does she know you work out?

Old Fri, October 28th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #4
jonnycashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gila Monster
Maybe she ment muscle milk?
Not sure if that can penetrate your blood stream though..
Haha, yeah it's there new product that you take intreveniously.

Old Sat, October 29th, 2005, 11:03 PM   #5
Banditfist

Stats: 6'1"

I had high liver enzymes in my blood work the past couple times.

The liver enzyme is an indication that there is something wrong with the liver. Howver, it is also an indication of muscle breakdown.

I had to take a break from working out (3-4 days) and get retested. My levels dropped back down (still high), but not as high.
Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

Old Tue, November 8th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #6
Monkey

Enzymes

AST, ALT, SGOT, SGPT, and GGT and Alkaline Phosphatase are abbreviations for proteins called enzymes which help all the chemical activities within cells to take place. Injury to cells release these enzymes into the blood. They are found in muscles, the liver and heart. Damage from alcohol and a number of diseases are reflected in high values.

Alkaline phosphatase is an enzyme found primarily in bones and the liver. Expected values are higher for those who are growing (children and pregnant women) or when damage to bones or liver has occurred or with gallstones. Low values are probably not significant.

GGT is also elevated in liver disease, particularly with obstruction of bile ducts. Unlike the alkaline phosphatase it is not elevated with bone growth or damage.

AST/SGOT , ALT/ SGPT are also liver and muscle enzymes. They may be elevated from liver problems, hepatitis, excess alcohol ingestion, muscle injury and recent heart attack.

LDH is the enzyme present in all the cells in the body. Anything which damages cells, including blood drawing itself, will raise amounts in the blood. If blood is not processed promptly and properly, high levels may occur. If all values except LDH are within expected ranges, it is probably a processing error and does not require further evaluation.

Bilirubin: is a pigment removed from the blood by the liver. Low values are of no concern. If slightly elevated above the expected ranges, but with all other enzymes (LDH, GOT, GPT, GGT) within expected values, it is probably a condition known as Gilbertís syndrome and is not significant

CPK is an enzyme which is very useful for diagnosing diseases of the heart and skeletal muscle. This enzyme is the first to be elevated after a heart attack (3 to 4 hours). If CPK is high in the absence of heart muscle injury, this is a strong indication of skeletal muscle disease.

http://www.amarillomed.com/howto.htm