Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Main Fitness Forums > General Health & Fitness, Injuries and Sports

General Health & Fitness, Injuries and Sports Participatory sports, help with injuries and general health & fitness topics that don't fall under weight training, fat loss or nutrition.

Uneven Abs/Non-alligned abs
Old Tue, July 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #1
Ben

Sex: Male
Default Uneven Abs/Non-alligned abs

How do uneven abs happen? is it genetics or strange training or steroids or what?
Check out this guy as an example, cuz its the only one i can find now, though i've seen a few others:

http://momuscle.com/gallery/displayi...?album=2&pos=4
http://momuscle.com/gallery/displayi...n&cat=0&pos=25

is there any way to prevent that or if is the case that if its gonna happen, then its gonna happen.

btw, my abs are just starting to show thru the fat, but i cant see all the contours yet. thats why i was wondering, im not really worried, just curious.

Old Tue, July 26th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #2
John Stone
Owner

Stats: 6', 159.6 pounds, 6.0% body fat (maintaining)

100% genetics.

"I don't ride bikes to add years to my life; I ride bikes to add life to my years."

Old Wed, July 27th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #3
inurb

I've always wondered if judges count uneven abs against competitors?

Old Wed, July 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #4
JeremyLikness

Yes, they do. Symmetry is part of the process, so not having the right genetics can count against the individual.

The ab is a big slab. Tendons wrap across the front, and that is what causes the indentations that make it look like individual muscles (i.e. six pack) - where the indentations are is a tendon wrapped over the surface. Obviously, short of surgical intervention, there's no way to change where those tendons are attached at either end.

Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inurb
I've always wondered if judges count uneven abs against competitors?

Old Thu, July 28th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #5
doordude42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyLikness
Yes, they do. Symmetry is part of the process, so not having the right genetics can count against the individual.

The ab is a big slab. Tendons wrap across the front, and that is what causes the indentations that make it look like individual muscles (i.e. six pack) - where the indentations are is a tendon wrapped over the surface. Obviously, short of surgical intervention, there's no way to change where those tendons are attached at either end.

Jeremy
Jeremy,
This is probably a stupid question but I think this is the place to ask it.Since i've gotten my BF real low I notice what I thought were striations running diagonally from the outside of my rib cage in the direction of my navel.One particularly pronounced "striation" gets tender at times. These "striations" are very visible when I flex my abs.Are these tendons. That's what I originally thought but since there is no bone in the abdomen area to connect to it didn't seem logical.

Old Thu, July 28th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #6
JeremyLikness

The prominent indentations are tendons. Striations are marks in the muscle, so I wouldn't think it would be the tendons, but it would be hard to determine without actually seeing it.

Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doordude42
Jeremy,
This is probably a stupid question but I think this is the place to ask it.Since i've gotten my BF real low I notice what I thought were striations running diagonally from the outside of my rib cage in the direction of my navel.One particularly pronounced "striation" gets tender at times. These "striations" are very visible when I flex my abs.Are these tendons. That's what I originally thought but since there is no bone in the abdomen area to connect to it didn't seem logical.

Old Thu, March 15th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #7
emperor

I know many people have uneven abs, including myself, but I have an added problem. The three lumps of my six pack are fine on the left side, but on the right the middle one is too big and the top one is small and undeveloped... this I don't mind too much but whenever I work my abs I get some real sharp pain around this weird top ab, as if someone were taking an ice-cream scoop to scrape it away from my ribcage. Also, in some positions, if I tense the abs I can feel a click against my ribcage.

I have asked a load of people about this, including my doctor, a physiotherapist, an osteopath and any number of other therapist types, but no-one seems to know what's wrong! I can't seem to find anyone else who suffers the same thing and I wondered if anyone here has ever experienced this or knows someone who does. It's getting on my nerves that I can't work my abs because it feels like I'm damaging myself every time I try!

Old Mon, March 19th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #8
STorpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor View Post
I have asked a load of people about this, including my doctor, a physiotherapist, an osteopath and any number of other therapist types, but no-one seems to know what's wrong! I can't seem to find anyone else who suffers the same thing and I wondered if anyone here has ever experienced this or knows someone who does. It's getting on my nerves that I can't work my abs because it feels like I'm damaging myself every time I try!
I myself happen to have uneven abs (I never had a low BF, so Im only basing this from what I can guess is under the BF) with my two top muscles looking like one same one when I flex and having a good number of abs be diagonal instead of horizontal. What Im getting at is that your problem has nothing to do with the size of the muscle; so treat it as any other muscle; if it hurts find out if you're eating enough to attempt such excercises, try working out with lighter weights, etc. It could be because your form puts the most pressure on the top of your abs when using it as a pivot (kind of like your wrists hurt when you DB bicep curl a heavy weight). If that is the case use a different ab exercise that may use a different part of the body as a pivot (or main pressure point). Worst case scenario is that your muscle has gone completley haywire and you will need to do purely light weights to develop it.

emperor
Old Mon, May 21st, 2007, 12:13 PM   #9
jtgober

Stats: 6'0" 150 lbs.
Default emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor View Post
i have that same problem. i think uneven abs have way more to do with an uneven skeleton, rather than muscle development. my left set of abs are perfect but the right side is slightly higher, with the top one being very small. and when i tighten my abs (especially sitting down) my ribs pop at the bottom near my diaphragm. my right ribcage feels like its squeezing my lungs and whatever organs are around there. i hope that my physical therapist can find out what the fcks up

Old Mon, May 21st, 2007, 12:54 PM   #10
Big_D

Stats: 6'1, one cheeseburger short of 300lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by doordude42 View Post
Jeremy,
Sounds like your serratus.

There is hope!
Old Wed, April 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM   #11
LastGood0ne

Default There is hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
100% genetics.
This cannot be true. I use to have perfect even abs when I graduated from high school. I was a cross country, track and swimming athlete then and my body (especially my abs) were very symmetrical. Now however, 4 years later, after quite a bit of heavy drinking and unhealthy eating in college, I recently started to get back in shape and noticed as my abs begin to reappear through the fat I've collected, they are not as even as they once were...

I know the anatomy of the ab muscles (I am currently getting my NASM certification to become a personal trainer) and I believe they are uneven because my new workout routine is not as comprehensive physically in working out the abs as my previous sporting lifestyle. In other words, I am currently rebuilding my abs but I believe the muscle now is growing in differently (unevenly) due to my strictly weight lifting routine.

I intend to try to expand the types of ab exercises I do, as well as swim more, in order to recorrect the unevenness I am developing.

So for you people out there with uneven abs.. THERE IS HOPE!

Old Wed, April 22nd, 2009, 04:58 PM   #12
mastover

Stats: Pro Natural Bodybuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastGood0ne View Post

This cannot be true. I use to have perfect even abs when I graduated from high school. I was a cross country, track and swimming athlete then and my body (especially my abs) were very symmetrical. Now however, 4 years later, after quite a bit of heavy drinking and unhealthy eating in college, I recently started to get back in shape and noticed as my abs begin to reappear through the fat I've collected, they are not as even as they once were...

I know the anatomy of the ab muscles (I am currently getting my NASM certification to become a personal trainer) and I believe they are uneven because my new workout routine is not as comprehensive physically in working out the abs as my previous sporting lifestyle. In other words, I am currently rebuilding my abs but I believe the muscle now is growing in differently (unevenly) due to my strictly weight lifting routine.

I intend to try to expand the types of ab exercises I do, as well as swim more, in order to recorrect the unevenness I am developing.

So for you people out there with uneven abs.. THERE IS HOPE!
IMHO this is entirely a bunch of BS

Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #13
dickev

Stats: See Avatar

Asymmetrical abs is 100% genetic and cannot be changed.
Did not seem to hurt Jay Cutler.

Last edited by dickev; Mon, April 27th, 2009 at 10:23 AM..