Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Fat Loss/Cutting

Fat Loss/Cutting Get ripped. This forum is for those who have already invested time into learning about fat loss. Beginners should post in the beginner's forum.

My Guide To Nutrition For Weight Loss
Old Tue, February 17th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #1
marcus

Sex: Male
Arrow My Guide To Nutrition For Weight Loss

Nutrition has always been a weakness of mine so I decided to get together all of my textbooks from my fitness course and explore any resource I could find to create this guide. A lot of this is also taken from an assignment on nutrition I did last year. I thought I would post it here for all the newbies to give them a place to start.

Note: This is only a guide, I have made sure that all of the info provided here is safe but I am not a doctor so take it with a grain of salt. This guide is just to give you an idea about nutrition for weight loss and then you can research it further.

If anyone thinks any of the info provided below is wrong or should be altered please speak up and if needed I can edit the post (giving you credit of course). If there is anything of value you think should be added I would love to hear it. I think it would be great to build this up to be the ultimate guide that everyone agrees on. Iím confident most of this is correct but there are probably a few issues that are debatable because they come down to personal preference.

Its really long (about 4500 words) so some of you might want to skip over some parts because it might be too basic, but its all good info.

Nutrition For Weight Loss

I believe this is the most important factor in weight loss. The main principle is to lose weight you need to burn more energy than you consume. However this gap cant be to big because you body will go into starvation mode and you will start burning lean muscle mass. So, how do you know how many calories per day you should consume?

Estimating Your Daily Calorie Requirement

Its important to know how many calories you should consume per day to achieve the maximum amount of weight loss while maintaining your lean body mass. If you eat too few calories you lose muscle, if you eat too many you donít make progress or even go backwards. Previously when Iíve gone on a diet Iíve tried to eat healthy and eat less without actually recording what Iíve eaten. The problem is I eat too little because I am so anxious to achieve my goals and I end up losing muscle mass and not much fat because my body goes into starvation mode.

I think its important to note that calorie counting can be rather time consuming in the beginning and that I'm not saying you absolutely have to do it. Feel free to ignore this bit and continue on with the rest of the guide, because by roughly estimating how much to eat (and by constantly revising this amount based on your results) you can still achieve excellent results. However, although counting calories may seem pedantic, it is effective. You dont have to do it forever, only long enough for you to learn what works best for your body. It took me about 2 months to really pin point my needs and then down the track at certain intervals I have resumed counting calories for a couple of weeks to reevaluate my calculations. Once you get past the first week and work out the figures for most of your meals it becomes really easy. So to conclude, this part is not essential, but recommended.

Below Iíve listed the equations necessary to estimate (its impossible to be spot on) how many calories you should be eating per day. Your Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories your body uses when at rest to perform vital bodily functions. We start off by calculating your BMR and then you times it by an activity factor. Iíve used some of my stats to demonstrate.

If you need to convert any of your measurements, check out this site:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

My Stats
Height Ė 178cms
Weight Ė 77kg
Age Ė 21yrs

Harris Benedict BMR Formula For Men

BMR = 66 + (13.7 X weight in kgs) + (5 X height in cms) Ė (6.8 X age in yrs).

Harris Benedict BMR Formula For Women

BMR = 655 + (9.6 X weight in kgs) + (1.8 X height in cms) Ė (4.7 X age in years)

So to calculate my BMR I do the following: 66 + (13.7 X 77) + (5 X 178) Ė (6.8 X 21)

BMR = 66 + 1054.9 + 890 Ė 142.8

BMR = 1868

Now we need to take into account the amount of energy burned through activity.

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) Ė BMR X 1.2

2. If your are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days a week) Ė BMR X 1.375

3. If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days a week) Ė BMR X 1.55

4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) Ė BMR X 1.725

5. If you are extra active (very hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or training twice daily Ė BMR X 1.9.

I fell into category number 3 therefore 1868 X 1.55 = 2895.4

Therefore 2895.4 is the number of calories I need per day to maintain my current weight. As you know to burn fat I eat less than I consume. So how many calories do I take off this figure without the risk of burning muscle.

They recommend that a person lose 1-2 lbs per week maximum. The example Iím going to use is for my aim to be to lose 1 lb per week. I believe this is fast enough and I wonít be losing any muscle. 1 lb of fat is 3500 calories. Therefore to lose 1 lb a week you do the following: 3500 divided by 7 = 500 cals. I then minus 500 from 2895.4 = 2395.4. So to burn 1 lb of fat per week I must consume no more and no less than 2395.4 calories per day.

Now that you know how may calories per day you should be eating, where do you get these calories? You canít just go down to McDonalds and eat your required amount of calories and think your job is done. You need to be eating the correct percentages of macronutrients and then you need to know the best foods with which to get these macronutrients.

Macronutrient Percentages

So how do you know what percentage of carbohydrates, fats and proteins you should consume? You can either start of with a common ratio like 50% carbs, 30% Protein and 20% fat. A lot of people use the ratio 40 : 40: 20. In my opinion 40% protein is too much to consume on a weight loss program. It would be different if you were bulking but too much protein is wasteful (it goes to fat) and it can also be harmful (as explained later). Instead of using a preset ratio you can also work them out individually as explained below.

Lets look at protein. Its recommended that you consume no more than 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight. I weigh 170 lbs so I should be getting 170g of protein per day. Because there are 4 calories per gram of protein I can do the following calculation: 170 X 4 = 680. So I should consume 680 calories of protein per day. To workout the percentage you need the number of calories you should consume daily. Therefore: 680 divided by 2395.4 = 0.28 X 100 = 28% protein. Note: If after doing these calculations the percentage if over 40% then disregard and estimate. I reccommend 30% but if you think you need more, do not go over 40%. In some cases the 1g for every 1lb of bodyweight guideline can be too much. (Thanks for bringing this to my attention Ansett)

The recommended amount of fat intake should be around 20% Hence 0.20 X 2395.4 = 479 calories from fat. Because there are 9 calories in 1 gram of fat I can say that 479/9 = 53.2g of fat should be consumed per day.

To work out the required amount of Carbohydrates I can use the following equation. 100% - 20% (fat) Ė 28% (protein) = 52% of Carbohydrates per day. Hence 0.52 X 2395.4 = 1245.6 calories of Carbohydrates per day. Because there are 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate I can say 1245.6/4 = 311.4g per day.

So the Macronutrient Percentages are:

52 : 28 : 20

Carbohydrates : Protein : Fats

Diet Plan

Below is a diet plan I sourced from http://www.fatlosstips.com it gives you an idea of how you can space your meals and what they might consist of. Of course your plan will be different depending on when you workout, what type of workout it is and what type of schedule you keep. Just use this as a guide and design your own plan using the information listed in this essay.

You should have 5-6 meals a day so simply divide 2395.4 by 6 = 399.2. Thatís how many calories you should be having at each meal. With regard to macronutrient ratios for each meal, consume more carbohydrates during the day until about 5pm when you should restrict carbo intake and increase protein intake. Fat intake should remain consistent throughout the day.

You can track what you eat and all of the numbers and ratios on a spreadsheet. Check out Johnís spreadsheet on the main page or check out Adi's excellent fitness log that really makes it easier for you to achieve your goals: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/s...ead.php?t=5999

You can also use http://www.fitday.com/ to track your diet.

Because there is no way of accurately calculating how many calories you should for optimal fat loss you must track your progress and adjust the figures when needed. Keep track of your lean muscle mass and if its dropping quickly, you are probably eating too little calories. If you arenít losing any fat you may need to reduce the amount of calories.

Time Meal
8 am Whey protein powder, vitamin C (1,000mg)
9 am Workout
10:30 am Meal [egg white omlette] with Glutamine, and vitamin C
1:30 pm Meal 3 [5oz chicken breast, 1 cup of brown rice, small salad]
4:30 pm Meal 4 [snack]
7:30 pm Meal 5 [6oz of tuna, 1 cup of vegetables]
10:30 pm Whey protein powder, vitamin C and Glutamine

The Macronutrients

Its one thing eating the right amount of calories but if you eat all the wrong foods to achieve that calorie limit then your arenít going to lose weight. Iíve listed the macronutrients below and what type of foods they are to give you an idea of they type of foods you should be eating.

Carbohydrates
Carbos are the most readily available source of fuel for energy production. Digestion breaks down carbohydrates so they can be converted to glucose, which then leads to the production of ATP (what your muscles use for energy). When they are not required they are stored as glycogen in the liver and muscles and then as fat.

Carbohydrates can be divided into two groups:
-Complex Carbohydrates (Starches made up of thousands of glucose molecules)
-Simple Carbohydrates (Sugars made up of one or two glucose molecules)

Complex Carbohydrates
Complex carbohydrates can be found in a variety of foods including bread, rice, pasta, vegetables and some milk products. These foods are generally digested slower and release energy over a longer period of time which helps reduce fatigue and makes you feel fuller, longer. Many complex carbs are also rich in vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre.

To increase your complex carbohydrate intake eat more of the following;
- Bread (especially wholemeal and wholegrain)
- Cereal products such as oats and whole wheat.
- Wholemeal pasta and brown rice.
-Legumes and vegetables.

Simple Carbohydrates
Simple carbohydrates are high in calories and have little nutritional value. Sugar has no vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre or essential nutrients. Simple Carbohydrates are not good for people trying to lose fat as explained below in the Glycemic Index section.

To reduce sugar intake, cut down on sweets, cakes, pastries, soft drinks and fruit juice. I cup of orange juice contains as many calories as the same amount of coke.

The Glycemic Index
The Glycemic Index (GI) is a means of assessing and clarifying the blood glucose response to carbohydrate foods. It compares the blood glucose levels and the rate of carbohydrate digestion into the system. Foods are given a rating of 1 (lowest) to 100 (highest). The lower the GI of the food, the slower but more sustained is the blood sugar response. Because of this slow release of energy Low GI foods keep you feeling full longer and you get fewer cravings. Foods that are digested rapidly (causing a rapid but short term release of energy) have a high GI rating which causes the dreaded insulin response (explained below).

The following info isnít really that essential but it explains why low GI foods are good for fat loss. If you want you can skip over this part.

When you consume high GI foods you experience a sudden increase in your blood glucose levels, which trigger the insulin response. The pancreas releases heaps of insulin with the aim of reducing the blood glucose levels. Before I go on there are two enzymes and their functions you must understand.

Lipoprotein lipase (LPL) is an enzyme that takes free fatty acids from the blood and stores it in the fat cells as triglycerides. This is called lipogenesis, the making of fat. It expands the size of fat cells by filling them up.

Hormone Sensitive Lipase (HSL) is an enzyme responsible for the release of fat from the fat cells and back into the blood stream making it available to the body for energy. This process is known as lipolysis. It reduces the size of the fat cells as the fat is being released.

Now, when insulin is released into the blood stream it increases the action of LPL (lipogenesis) in the fat cells and suppresses the action of HSL (lipolysis). So when you eat foods high in sugar, your blood glucose levels rise and the pancreas releases insulin. The insulin increases the process of lipogenesis, which means more fat is being stored in fat cells instead of being used for energy. Its even worse eating high sugar and high fat foods at the same time because the sugar increases the insulin response and the fat in the blood stream goes straight to the fat cells.

So to lose fat we must increase the use of HSL (lipolysis), which will speed up the breakdown of fat in the cells and cause it to be used as energy. Adrenaline and Cortisol enhance HSL production and are produced in response to stress. Physical stress in the form of exercise increases the rate of fat breakdown and uses the resultant free fatty acids to power muscles. Emotional stress also increases the rate of fat breakdown, however, fat stays in the bloodstream putting you at risk for artery disease. Stimulant drugs like caffeine and amphetamines also increase the above hormone production.

So, successful fat loss is dependant on maintaining blood sugar levels during the day, thereby reducing the negative effects of the insulin response. This state is produced by eating Low GI foods, preventing peaks and troughs in blood glucose levels and therefore insulin levels.

Glycemic Index Values

A High GI Value is 70 or more.

A Medium GI value is 56 to 69.

A Low GI Value is 55 or less

Below are some links to lists of popular foods are their GI values:

http://www.glycemicindex.ca/glycemicindexfoods.pdf
http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/gifoodlist.html
http://www.geolucid.com/sauderfamily/steve/foodgi.htm

For more info about the Glycemic Index and for a really good GI database check out this website.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Fats

Fats are very important in our diet as they provide a valuable source of stored energy, contain essential fatty acids, contain vitamins A, E, D and K and they are vital in many cell processes.

Fat can be classified as either:

Saturated Fats
Unsaturated Fats

Saturated Fats are found mainly in animal foods (milk, cheese, meats etc). Saturated fats contain a substance called cholesterol (a solid waxy substance). If cholesterol levels become high, blood vessels may become narrowed which in turn may lead to cardio-vascular problems. There are two types of cholesterol found in the body:

High density lipoproteins (HDL) Ė The good cholesterol.
Low density lipoproteins (LDL) Ė The bad cholesterol.

Unsaturated Fats fall into two categories:

Polyunsaturated fats
Mono-unsaturated

Polyunsaturated fats are found in most vegetable oils and fish (eg. corn, soybean, safflower and cottonseed oils) and contain essential fatty acids (explained later). They lower LDL levels and increase HDL levels, which is good.

Mono-unsaturated are found in olive and canola oil along with some fruits and nuts. Eg. olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, cashews almonds, peanuts and avocados. They lower LDL levels and increase HDL levels.

Essential Fatty Acids
Essential fatty acids cannot be manufactured by the body and therefore must be obtained through the diet. They are not stored but saved for hormone like functions.

Omega 3 and Omega 6 are found in fish oils. Research on Eskimos has found a low incidence of heart disease even though their diets consist mainly of saturated fat in the form of seal and whale meat. By consuming fish, the effect of these essential fatty acids is a reduction in blood pressure, prevention of blood clot formation and decreased triglycerides in the blood.
You can also get essential fatty acids from flax oil and various supplements.

To conclude: for weight loss and optimal health, stay away from saturated fats and concentrate on mono-unsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats and essential fatty acids. However even though these are good fats, excess consumption will still lead to fat gain.

Protein

Protein performs several very important functions for the body; it helps repair body cells and damaged tissue; it assists with the growth and reformation of new cells; it assists in the production of red and white blood cells, hormones and enzymes; it provides fuel reserve after all other energy reserves have been depleted.

Itís recommended that people undertaking fitness programs consume 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. Any more than this can be harmful to your kidneys and other components of your digestive system. Also once your body has met its protein requirements the excess is stored as body fat.

Protein is broken down by the bodyís digestive system into amino acids. There are two types of amino acids:

Essential Amino Acids (cannot be produced by the body)
Non-Essential Amino Acids (These can be produced from other amino acids in the body)

Protein can be obtained from a variety of sources:

Animal Foods Ė meat, poultry, eggs and dairy foods. These are high in protein and contain all of the essential amino acids required by the body.

Plant Foods Ė breads, cereals, grains, beans etc. These foods supply the body with protein but lack the required amino acids.

You can also obtain protein from supplements like Whey Protein that are very useful because you can meet your daily protein requirements without consuming too many animal products.

Protein for Energy
You should make sure you have enough protein in your diet because even though it does not play a major role in energy production for the body, your muscles will be broken down if protein is the only fuel left when carbos and fats supplies have been depleted.

To get your protein requirements consume a mixture of whey protein, lean meats, skinless poultry, eggs, low fat dairy products and seafood.

Micronutrients

Vitamins
Vitamins serve a variety of important functions in the body; tissue function and repair; energy metabolism; assisting with chemical reactions within the body; enabling more efficient nutrient uptake; immune function; red blood cell production and nervous system maintenance

If your diet is good you may not need extra vitamins but athletes and people on fitness programs burn more energy and hence may require supplements to ensure they meet their daily requirements

I wonít go into the different types of vitamins and their functions because it would take forever. To ensure you get enough vitamins try and consume fruits and vegetables with every meal and take vitamin supplements.

Minerals
They assist the body in; muscle contraction; nerve control; fluid balance (sodium/potassium);
metabolism of enzymes in energy production (zinc/iodine); control the bodyís pH and in the transportation of oxygen.

The two most important minerals are:

Iron
Essential in the production of energy. Most iron in the body is absorbed into the blood and goes into the production of haemoglobin, the compound that carries oxygen around in the blood. Iron is also used in muscle myoglobin to transport and store oxygen in the mitochondria. Iron is very important for athletes and can be obtained from the following sources; red meat; liver; kidney; eggs; green vegetables; fish; poultry; cereals/breads and dried fruit and nuts. You can also supplement iron with a general mineral supplement.

Calcium
Calcium is used in the body to assist in; muscle contraction; nerve transmission; enzyme activity; blood clotting. Calcium also along with the performance of weight bearing exercise assists in maintaining the strength of bones. Calcium can be found in; milk; cheese; eggs; green vegetables; tinned salmon; non-fat yogurt. You can also supplement with calcium with a general mineral supplement.

Dietary Fibres

Dietary fibres are foods that are not broken down by the enzymes in the small intestine. They are found in plant foods such as cereals, breads, grains, fruits and vegetables. Dietary fibres also slow the release of sugar from the blood ensuring a sustained release of energy in the body. Populations who eat large amounts of dietary fibre have been found to experience a reduced incidence of; bowel cancer; diabetes; heart disease; obesity and constipation.

Dietary fibre can be broken down into two types:

Soluble fibre Ė This helps lower cholesterol and can be found in foods such as oat bran and certain fruits.

Insoluble fibre Ė This is found in foods such as wheat bran and beans. This helps in holding water, increasing bulk and eliminating wastes from the body.

The effects of dietary fibre can vary and depend upon the type, the amount and the source of that fibre. When bacteria in the large intestine are digesting dietary fibre, fatty acids are produced. These fatty acids nourish the bowel wall and help control muscular movement of the bowel. Soluble fibres are almost entirely digested by bacteria to produce more fatty acids while some fibres such as pectin (found in apples, jams and fruits) assist in controlling blood glucose levels and cholesterol. Lignin (a coarse fibre found in root vegetables and pairs) is hardly digested at all and therefore has little effect.

Coarse bran absorbs a large amount of water (resulting in soft faeces). These pass through the large intestine faster than finely ground bran (which absorbs little water and form small hard faeces). Constipation is the result of a diet that is low in fibre and water. Foods that are high in fat are usually low in fibre and vice versa.

Fluid

Water makes up about 60-70% of our body weight. It serves a variety of vital functions within the body; regulating body temperature; carrying nutrients to the cells; diluting waste products; transporting energy, hormones and antibodies around the body and lubricating surfaces and membranes.

When the body becomes dehydrated it results in decreased performance and can be very dangerous. Signs and symptoms of dehydration include; fatigue; headaches; irritability; reduced performance; darkening of the urine. To prevent dehydration drink at least a gallon of water a day.

The Meltdown Man
I thought Iíd put this in because its and interesting story about what heat exhaustion and dehydration can do to your body.

Mark Dorrity and a group of his friends from Sydney decided to go to Wagga to compete in an 8km fun run. They were all reasonably fit, Mark being a champion runner during university and at the time of the race was training 5 times a day. On the day of the event the temperature rose to about 40 degrees Celsius and the fun run was cancelled. However Mark and his friends as competitive as they were decided to run it anyway. Before the race Mark had a couple of glasses of water but took nothing to drink during the race.

As the race progressed Mark became dehydrated and began suffering from heat exhaustion. Soon his body temperature had risen to 42.8 degrees. When someoneís temperature is this high they are delirious and they ignore the bodies warnings to stop. In less than an hour of running Markís thigh muscles overheated, liquefied and died. One leg has since been amputated at the buttock because of gangrene. Before he collapsed his kidneys failed because his dying muscles had released toxic proteins into his blood, which thickened to a molasses like consistency. Every organ in his body was affected. He suffered brain damage and his lungs could not function unaided. His buttock and hamstring muscles also liquefied but not as severely as his thigh muscles. Marks heart stopped once and after the race he was on a dialysis machine for eight weeks and in a coma for three months. Amazingly after a year Mark fully recovered and is back to normal with no lasting brain damage and only one leg missing.

I think itís an amazing story that makes us aware of the dangers of heat exhaustion and dehydration. After reading this, I never run on days hotter that 32 degrees Celsius.

Meals Before, During and After Exercise.

There has been a bit of debate about this on the forums lately and I thought I would try and add some clarity.

Pre-Training Meals

The aim of the pre-event meal is to top up glycogen and protein levels and maintain fluid levels.

If you are doing Continuous Training (eg 20 mins at 70%) then it is fine and more effective to train on an empty stomach before breakfast. If you are performing HIIT (or any other type of interval training) and weights then you should eat before the workout. The question is though, how soon before the workout and what to eat? A general rule is you should not eat within an hour before exercise because as you need to allow for the digestion of food. If you ate a big meal 5 mins before your workout, you would feel extremely tired because the digestive system would be taking all of the blood and energy from your muscles and using it to digest your food.

So the guidelines are donít eat within an hour of your workout. Eat foods that are; high in complex carbs; low fat; have fibre; and will give you adequate fluid intake.

If you must eat within an hour of your workout, have something like Sustagen or Milo because it digests quickly and easily, it empties quickly from the stomach and provides instant energy.

Food and Fluid Intake During Exercise

Because performance is impaired by dehydration the main thing you have to worry about are fluid levels. For exercise under 1 hour water is sufficient. However if you exercise for over an hour carbohydrate replacement may be required in the form of sports drinks like Gatorade. For fat loss goals orientated people, just stick with the water, you donít need the extra calories in sports drinks.

As a general guideline you should consume 150-250ml of fluids for every 15 minutes during exercise.

Recovery

After any physical activity the body must have a chance to recover. This can be achieved through; replacing muscle glycogen stores, replacing fluids and electrolytes lost through sweat and providing the initial ingredients lost through tissue and muscle repair.

For glycogen replacement it depends on the intensity and duration of exercise but you can speed up the recovery process by consuming carbohydrate rich foods immediately after exercise. High GI foods are effective but people trying to achieve weight loss should stick to low GI foods, which will also be effective.

If you performed weights you will need to repair damaged muscle tissue by consuming foods both high in the Protein and Carbohydrates like a whey protein shake.

For fluid replacement you can tell how much you lost by weighing yourself. If you lost 1kg of weight you need to drink 1-2 litres of water. If you lost 2kg you should drink 2-3 litres. What I usually do is drink 1 litre straight after the workout and in the next hour drink another litre.

Supplements

What supplements you take is purely a matter of preference and personal needs. If you maintain a healthy, balanced diet you could get away without using any supplements. However if you have the money there are some supplements that taken with a balanced diet can help you reach your goals. In my opinion there are three main supplements that people should take when trying to lose weight.

Whey Protein- Helps you get your daily requirements of protein without eating large amounts of fatty animal products.

L-Glutamine Ė Prevents catabolism of the muscles. In other words it helps you retain muscle mass while cutting. It also boosts your immune system and nourishes your digestive tract.

A Vitamin and Mineral supplement is also useful to ensure you are getting your daily requirements.

Any other supplements you take on top of these is up to you. I also take a fibre supplement to keep me regular and help keep my blood glucose levels stable. This just one that I like to take, many you probably wouldnít need it. Just ensure that before taking any other supplements you have researched them to ensure they are safe and always take the prescribed amount.

Why Alcohol and Weight Loss Donít Mix

Obviously you should not drink alcohol when trying to lose fat. Muscles are unable to use alcohol directly because it must first be metabolised by the liver. Carbohydrates may be displaced from the diet by large amounts of alcohol, as alcohol does not contribute to the formation of muscle glycogen leaving your body short of fuel. Alcohol also increases blood insulin, increasing the action of LPL; the fat storing enzyme and it reduces the action of HSL an enzyme that helps in the breakdown of fat. Alcohol is also a diuretic causing dehydration, which lowers your metabolism.

Further Reading

This has just been a primer, so you should definitely seek out other sources of information in order to increase your knowledge and hence, your chance of success.

A good place to start is the links sticky, which contains a list of the most useful health and fitness related links on the web: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/s...ad.php?t=12811

JSF member Gravityhomer has also wirtten an excellent little guide to fat loss. He not only touches nutrition, but also cardio, weight training and other components essential to a successful fat loss program: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/s...ad.php?t=19229

Finally, when using the forum, don't forget to make good use of the search function. You can be certain than almost any topic relating to health and fitness has already been discussed at length by JSF members.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
--Frank Outlaw

Last edited by marcus; Wed, December 28th, 2005 at 08:30 AM..

Old Tue, February 17th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #2
marcus

If it makes it easier here it is in a word document.

Marcus
Attached Files
File Type: doc Guide to Nutrition for Weight Loss.doc (74.5 KB, 3161 views)
--Frank Outlaw

Last edited by marcus; Sun, September 11th, 2005 at 01:07 PM..

Old Tue, February 17th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #3
John Stone
Owner

Stats: 6', 162.0 pounds, 6.4% body fat (maintaining)

Of course we'll all never agree 100% on every fitness and nutrition topic, but there is a ton of excellent information in your post - very well done!

I'm going to sticky this post, especially because you said you are open to suggestions and would continue to refine it. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

"I don't ride bikes to add years to my life; I ride bikes to add life to my years."

Old Tue, February 17th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #4
Jingo

great read thanks, it was all mostly old ground for me but it does help to read the same thing worded in many ways to ensure you do understand exactly what they're trying to put across and there was some bits in there that were new to me.
Current status - Almost there! Final few lb to lose before bulking.
Routine is 3 days MAX-OT weights, 3 days cardio, 1 day rest
Weight loss - 194lb to 162.5lb = 31.5lbs

Old Tue, February 17th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #5
corbint

great post, lets continue to add tips, etc!

Old Wed, February 18th, 2004, 12:52 AM   #6
fluke

Sorry to add empty calories to this thread, but I must say, as a total n00b just starting out on my bodybuilding adventure, this post has given me a ton of valuable information. While I still dont feel I have quite the full picture, I now have a much better idea of how many calories I should be eating (2770 daily), and where to get them from. Its time to do a little shopping, and to start my initial fat loss! Thank you, Marcus! And good luck making the cut!

Old Wed, February 18th, 2004, 01:34 AM   #7
taffer

one thing i dont get about the BMR activity rate, is what is considered moderately active, or very active

if i did HIIT 3 times a week in the morning, and weights 3 times a week in the morning, then sat on my arse for the rest of the day, what would that be? or do you have to be doing stuff like going to school

right now i dont know if im moderately active or very active, cos i do 15mins of HIIT every second day, and weights on the other days (except sunday) then i usually goto school, which i walk around a bit, but its not like its a 10min walk anywhere (semi-small school)

Old Wed, February 18th, 2004, 03:30 AM   #8
marcus

Your Welcome Everybody

Taffer,

You can never calculate how many calories you need accurately, you can only estimate. I'd say you fall under catorgories 3 or 4. Once you get a figure, monitor your progress closely and adjust accordingly and thats when you really begin to know how many calories you need to achieve the kind of results you want....

Marcus
--Frank Outlaw

Old Wed, February 18th, 2004, 04:20 AM   #9
Adam_S

Quote:
If you maintain a healthy, balanced diet you could get away without using any supplements.
It never fails to amaze me how many people believe this. Of course it shouldn't amaze me since most people are unfamilliar with the history behind farming practices that create most of our foods.

Plants get minerals from the ground, they cannot manufacture them. However, when the plants pull minerals from the ground they add a few electrons, changing the negatively charged metallic minerals into positively charged organic minerals. This is vitally important because the lining of our small intestine carries a positive charge, that means that metallic minerals (also positively charged) are not likely to be absorbed. However organic minerals with a negative charge are highly likely to be absorbed, because they'll be attracted to the positive charge of the intestine lining. Our bodies are made to get the vitamins and minerals we need from plant derived forms, we can't process metallic minerals.

So we should eat lots of greens, veggies, fruits etc right? Well, yes and no. You should because it's good for you anyway and a great source of vitamins. But we can no longer claim they are a good source of essential and trace minerals.

In 1939 a study by the Department of Agriculture presented before Congress stated that America's soils were dangerously depleted of their mineral content, and that our foods grown in these soils of course no longer contained these minerals. 1939 was a few decades after the introduction of the motorized plow (tractor), and about fifty some years since mechanical innovations of the industrial age (such as a threshing machine) changed farming forever--and now around the world as well. At the same time, technology and science improved man's ability to prevent 'disasters' such as flooding and erosion. Flooding and erosion are two of the primary means that nature replenishes vital minerals into soil. Consider the ancienct Egyptians, the annual flooding of the Nile river valley allowed a powerful boom in agricultural that led to the one time most powerful empire on Earth. And they were likely very powerful healthy people, living on foods so rich in minerals they had very little trouble in establishing supremacy by virtue of their much more widespread higher class of health.

What this essentially means is that in less than fifty years of mechanized farming practices we managed to deplete most of the soil for our food. And the response of farmers is to fertilize of course. What most people don't realize is that they used the three nutrients most likely to keep crop yields high without too much of a drop in taste. The most commonly used fertilizer for the last fifty years is NPK: Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium--that's it.

In 1939 our soils were dangerously depleted of essential minerals, since then, every year our farmers have added three minerals, and removed more and more of the 70 or so essential and trace minerals from our soil.

You do the math: (3-70)*65

Oh yes, you can absolutely get all the minerals you need from your diet. (note sarcasm)

So we ought to pop a pill right? Not really, most mineral supplements are not very absorbable because they're metallic, not organic. IF you've ever wondered why a supplement has 1500% of your RDA of calcium it's not because that much calcium is good for you, but because you can expect to absorb 15% or less (maybe as low as 5%) of the supplement pill.

The exception would be chelated supplements, an expensive process developed in the 70s that increases absorbability to 40% and maybe a little more.

Colloidal minerals have gotten some attention recently. Basically a colloid is a very tiny particle in a liquid suspension--in this case a mineral(s)--whose absorbability is increased by the liquid and tiny particle size. However, this doesn't change the electrical charge in metallic minerals. Your body has evolved/been created to get minerals from plants (or animals that ate those plants with the minerals in their systems) NOT from eating dirt. Metallic mineral supplements are a lot like eating very refined dirt. There are some colloidal minerals derived from plant sources, of course their absorbability is much higher.

Look for plant-derived mineral supplements, they are most often in capsule or liquid (often colloidal) form.

Minerals--and don't forget trace mineral--are the tools and building blocks your body needs to maintain itself. Most of our prescription drugs treat disease symptoms. Many times there is a root cause that opened our body to attack by that disease, many times this can be caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency. If your body has the proper tools to repair and maintain itself, it will be a stalwart defense against disease and injury.

I cannot emphasize that enough for atheletes and weight trainers. When you sweat your body is not just losing electrolytes but essential and trace minerals as well. Consistent heavy exercise makes your more prone to mineral deficiencies. An athlete could be in worse nutritional health than an overwieght couch potato because that person is not continually and consistently depleting their body of essential and trace minerals. Copper is an especially important nutrient since your body uses copper in conjunction with elastin to strengthen cellular walls in blood vessels. It is possible that a 250lb obese man could have stronger blood vessels because he's not deficient in copper (and thus less prone to heart attack/rupture) than a physically perfect 180 lb man with 5% body fat. The difference could be as simple as a copper deficiency. If you are regularly undergoing intense exercise without proper mineral supplementation you are possibly at risk for heart attack.

100,000 people (according to the CDC in Atlanta) under the age of 30 died during or after exercise in 2000. 300,000 people over the age of 30 died during or after exercise in 2000. Exercise can be dangerous to your health, and with numbers that big it's not just overtraining or the equivalent of 'reckless driving' while exercising--there are many factors involved that lead to these deaths, dehydration, overhydration, exhaustion, overtraining, stress, and of course mineral deficiency.

Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and EFAs (together, essential nutrients) are essential to good nutrition. It's the foundation of your health.

Adam

Old Wed, February 18th, 2004, 06:08 AM   #10
marcus

Adam S,

Its really interesting what you posted but can you post some references of something that backs this up like a published scientific study by respected professionals in the field.

Its hard to believe you when you say a couch potato is healthier than an athlete because the athlete has mineral deficiencies. Obesity has lead to a million times more deaths than mineral deficiencies.

It would be great if you could post some references because I'd love to research this futher but until then I'll have to take it with a grain of salt.

Cheers

Marcus
--Frank Outlaw

Last edited by marcus; Wed, February 18th, 2004 at 07:57 AM..

Thanks
Old Wed, February 18th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #11
Two Step

Default Thanks

Adam, thank you so much for pointing this out -- you have backed up one of the biggest claims that I am always making! BUY ORGANIC! Even better, join a local co-op of growers that deliver fresh fruits and veggies grown on their small farms. No mass use of soil bleaching chemicals and pesticides there. I you are going to eat meat, try to buy meat that is free-range. For those who don't know what free-range is, it simply means that the animals are allowed to exist natrually on a farm, eating what they naturally would. They are not kept in a cage and pumped full of steroid to make them grow.

I could go on and on, but I think everyone get the idea. Think small, check with some local farmers, and enjoy the bounty of the earth.
"This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?" ~Lance Armstrong

What??
Old Wed, February 18th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #12
daveo

Stats: Height: 6'; Weight: 190lbs; Body Fat: < 20%
Angry What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_S
Plants get minerals from the ground, they cannot manufacture them. However, when the plants pull minerals from the ground they add a few electrons, changing the negatively charged metallic minerals into positively charged organic minerals.
Uhhhhhhhh, jigga-wha?

"They add a few electrons"??? What kind of nonsense is that? You need to back that up with some chemistry/physics before I'll even continue reading what you posted.

Come on now, conservation of charge: where do these electrons come from? Provide some reaction equations or something with some more foundation than "they add a few electrons".

Old Wed, February 18th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #13
ibrewale

Stats: 76", Started 267lbs, 30% body Fat

Marcus

Thanks for the time, energy, and research/compilation that went into your nutrition guide. This is a good spot for nubes to start!

Jerry

Old Wed, February 18th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #14
marcus

Your welcome ibrewale.

Adam,

Are you talking about organic systems? You seem to be but you donít make any direct references so Iím not sure.

For those of you that are interested; Organic farmers do not use synthetically made fertilizers and pesticides that harm the soil and us. They use natural methods of pest and weed control and adopt practices to ensure soil health and fertility (e.g. the living soil ecosystem that transforms and transports nutrients and protects the plants). Livestock and poultry are fed organic feed and are allowed out into the open. Organic farmers believe that a healthy environment, leads to healthy produce and healthy human beings. There is no question that organic farming is better for the environment and the surrounding wildlife. Organic foods are thought to be better than non-organic foods however this has yet to be proved conclusively in a published scientific study.

I have spent the last 45 mins reading up on it and there is a lot of info. I do believe Organic is the way to go. If you guys think I should add a section in the guide I will, so speak up. I wonít say anymore because Iím still learning about the organic principles. Here are some really good links.

http://www.ofrf.org/general/about_organic/
http://www.soilassociation.org/web/sa/saweb.nsf?Open
http://www.ota.com/index.html
http://www.organicfood.co.uk/
http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/indexIE.htm

Marcus
--Frank Outlaw

Old Wed, February 18th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #15
Bunko

Quote:
However, when the plants pull minerals from the ground they add a few electrons, changing the negatively charged metallic minerals into positively charged organic minerals.
Whoa, this is hard core man. Could you please elaborate, how do plants get those "few electrons"? Do they just have them circulate all the time? Also why would changing the charge of a metal make it "organic"?

Quote:
100,000 people (according to the CDC in Atlanta) under the age of 30 died during or after exercise in 2000. 300,000 people over the age of 30 died during or after exercise in 2000. Exercise can be dangerous to your health,
Yes, and almost all people in this country die during of after taking a breath. Breathing is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost!

Old Wed, February 18th, 2004, 10:56 PM   #16
bolo

great job

Old Thu, February 19th, 2004, 02:13 AM   #17
Adam_S

Everyone should take what I say with a grain of salt because I"m not a medical or veternary professional. nor have I looked at the original reserach (and in most cases the original journal articles) that I"ve gathered this information from. Like the original poster of this thread, I wrote out that post as a sort of assimilation of all the information I've been reading/gathering recently.

I'll need to poke around to find some of the articles I'm looking for. I did a lot of reading on this a while back--and several of those were AST style (not from AST of course, but in that vein) articles that were referencing other articles while heavily hyping their inhouse product. Not the best way to gather information; I had to do quite a bit of reading between the lines to see the science and common sense behind some of the product pushing--sorta separating the wheat from the chaff. So when I said add a few electrons it was actually more technical than what I read which was "plants cause the minerals to undergo a biochemical change, shifting their charge from positive to negative."

Since it's been a while high school chemistry, I'm asking a chem major friend for the following information (I've rewritten it from a q and A IM session)
Chemically, plants alter minerals by turning them into ions and surrounding them with other molecules. The electrons involved in the transfers come from other ions. Oxidizing agents cause ions with a positive charge to occur or changes a negatively charged ion to neutral. Reducing agents cause ions with a negative charge to occur or change a positively charged ion to less positive or neutral. For example, Ozone (O3) is a strong oxidizing agent. Plants wouldn't necessarily need a strong reducing agent to change the minerals charge if they have the right enzymes. I hope that's a little more specific, sorry I can't provide the chemical formulas.

And yes it's very unlikely a fat man will be more healthy than an athlete. In fact it's a bad comparison and I would change it, but I"ll leave it there for history's sake. After all, overweight and intense exercise put different kinds of stress on your system. There are caveats to both, and the greater weight is worse. But many people seem to forget that repeated intense exercise is one of the fastest ways to deplete your body of minerals, so it's easier for a athletic person to develop a mineral deficiency if you don't supplement properly.

And tablet supplements will do some good, but there are better alternatives out there. I specifically didn't want to name any because of the work I did sifting out the ideas behind the propaganda. It's also why I didn't mention organic, because I didn't want it to be seen as a polemic about why organic is better. Organic is definitely a big improvement over the usual large scale farming practices. But the fact is that there are very few places in the world that have all the essential and trace minerals available in the soil. Most places have a mishmash and scattered distribution--as you would expect. There are a few exceptions. In the himalayas, peoples tend to be very long-lived. Thats because most of their ground water comes from glacial runoff. Those glaciers are full of a huge variety of minerals (but you wouldn't want to drink the run off). But they grow their crops in the very mineral rich soil and thus have very mineral rich diets. They have very low instances of many of the health problems that plague the rest of the world (though a lot of that is related to other factors). But they do live in an area that has an embarassment of mineral excess, and they tend to be very long lived. The eskimos have also been mentioned. They have a fairly limited diet and grow no crops. But the ocean is a fantastic source of a huge variety of minerals. When an upwelling occurs, mineral and nitrogen rich 'clouds' circulate from the floor to the surface. This creates an algael bloom, when tons of algae and other autotrophs suddenly reproduce exponentially on the suddenly abundant food supply. This results in a big boom in heterotroph productively, and it procedes up the food chain (not very far for whales eating krill) until it reaches the eskimos. Again, a mineral rich diet should not be taken as the only reason for their good health, but it does provide a very strong foundation.

As to changing the charge of the molecule making it organic. That's just the term I saw used with it. I suppose the mineral/element would need to be bonded to a carbon molecule to be chemically organic. and it certainly doesn't mean grocery product organic. I think it was probably a word that was used to illustrate the difference between minerals from the ground (metallic is used) and minerals in plants (organic is used, probably because plants are organisms, uggh!). Great question by the way! Those are exactly the sort of thing that I was asking myself as I was reading through the original material (I don't want to link just yet because it is pretty heavily promoting their product, but I remember some of them did link to texts of original articles, and Ill see if I can poke around some library journal searches). I just missed asking about why they were using organic and metallic to describe these differences--because it's layman understandable terms.

And if you read AST you've probably heard that nutrient research and science is well behind drug research and science. In fact most of the proven results behind this information is from veternary medicine. That's because animal health seems to be more pragmatic, and resulted in a lot of nutrition based cures for animals. I remember this story for the copper deficiency. A new 'super' feed for turkeys came out in 54 or so (I can't remember precisely) that made the turkeys fatter, faster. Some very obese turkeys were the result. And more than 50% of the turkeys that year dropped dead in the pens from aortic aneurysms, on farms across america that were using that feed. Well they preformed autoposies and did studies on the turkeys and discovered that a copper dificiency led to a weakening of the cellular walls which led to the eventual aneurysm. The next year, the feed was supplemented with lots of extra copper, and none of them died of an aortic aneurysm.

There's a lot of interesting stuff out there I'll see what I can find in the way of journal publications over the weekend.

Adam

Last edited by Adam_S; Thu, February 19th, 2004 at 02:18 AM..

Old Thu, February 19th, 2004, 02:51 AM   #18
Adam_S

Out of curiosity, in what subjects are people looking for articles?

It occured to me as I'm searching for information on Mineral Deficiency that people might be more interested in journals discussing mineral depletion in soils, the biochemical change that plants cause in minerals (and the resultant different ways we process them) and other things I discussed above.

Simply typing in potassium deficiency (for one random and important mineral) gave me 1200+ results from ScienceDirect

Here's a very nice abstract that illustrates that a range of minerals work in conjunction to create optimum health. YOu don't just need calcium for strong, dense bones, but a variety of minerals to improve density. With all the different systems in our bodies, each may need a different trace mineral or minerals, bone density need trace minerals like strontium.

Critical Reviews In Food Science And Nutrition
Volume 41, Issue 4, May 2001, Pages 225-249
ISSN: 1040-8398

Delay of natural bone loss by higher intakes of specific minerals and vitamins
Schaafsma, A; de Vries, P J; Saris, W H

abstract:
For early prevention or inhibition of postmenopausal and age-related bone loss, nutritional interventions might be a first choice. For some vitamins and minerals an important role in bone metabolism is known or suggested. Calcium and vitamin D support bone mineral density and are basic components in most preventive strategies. Magnesium is involved in a number of activities supporting bone strength, preservation, and remodeling. Fluorine and strontium have bone-forming effects. However, high amounts of both elements may reduce bone strength. Boron is especially effective in case of vitamin D, magnesium, and potassium deficiency. Vitamin K is essential for the activation of osteocalcin. Vitamin C is an important stimulus for osteoblast-derived proteins. Increasing the recommended amounts (US RDA 1989), adequate intakes (US DRI 1997), or assumed normal intakes of mentioned food components may lead to a considerable reduction or even prevention of bone loss, especially in late postmenopausal women and the elderly.

I'll probably be starting a thread on mineral deficiencys to keep track of the articles I find.

Adam

Old Fri, February 20th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #19
marcus

Quote:
There's a lot of interesting stuff out there I'll see what I can find in the way of journal publications over the weekend.
Quote:
I'll probably be starting a thread on mineral deficiencys to keep track of the articles I find.
Thanks Adam. It is quite interesting what you say, I think it definitley has some truth to it. Some of the Chemistry went over my head though. It brought me back to the good old days of yr 12 chem where I think I got a D or something

Marcus
--Frank Outlaw

Old Fri, February 27th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #20
sadistikal

Using your guide I just came up with this:

Height: 172.72cm (5' 8" = 68 inch = 172.72 centimeter)
Weight: 99.34kg (219 pound = 99.336729 kilogram)

BMR = 66 + (13.7 * 99.34) + (5 * 172.72) - (6.8 * 28)
BMR = 66 + (1360.958) + (863.6) - (190.4)
BMR = 2480.96

To maintain my current weight:

No exercize = BMR * 1.2 = 2977.15
Moderate exercize = BMR * 1.55 = 3845.49

Lets say I want to lose 2lbs a week so I need to cut 7000 calories a week or 1000 calories a day.

So before exercize: 1977.15
After exerzie: 2845.49

Protein:
I am 219lbs so I need 219g of protein a day.

219 * 4 = 876

876 \ 1977.15 = 44%
876 \ 2845.49 = 31%

876 Calories from Protein (44% of diet before exercize 31% after)

Fat:
Lets say 20% of my diet will be fat for now. I may adjust but I'm going to use your example.

.20 * 1977.15 = 395.43
.20 * 2845.49 = 569.10

395.43 Calories from Fat before exerczie and 569.10 after

Carbs:

All thats left.

Before exercize 100% - (44%P + 20%F) = 36%
After exercize 100% - (31%P + 20%F) = 49%

.36 * 1977.15 = 711.77
.49 * 2845.49 = 1394.29

Soooo after all that math I'm left with

Before Exercize:

.....................Protein....Carbo....Fat...... ..Total
==========================================
Calories............876.........711.....395....... .1982

%...................44%.........36%....20%.......1 00%

After Exercize:

................Protein...........Carbo........Fat ...............Total
==========================================
Calories........876..............1394........569.. .............2839

%................31%..............49%........20%.. ............100%

Before exercize looks to be about what everyone is near 40/40/20 or so

After exercize is 30/50/20 Even though that appears close to a 40/40/20...anyone else doing this ratio? Too much carbs? Too little protein?

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post ...I just wanted to have all my figures here in case I made a stupid mistake....I'm going shopping in a few hours to purchase the ingredients for my diet...