Please Support Our Sponsors and Advertisers!
JSF Amazon Mall
AtLarge Nutrition Results
John Stone Fitness
Brick City Bicycles

Go Back   John Stone Fitness Forums > Fat Loss, Muscle Building & Body Transformation > Fat Loss/Cutting

Fat Loss/Cutting Get ripped. This forum is for those who have already invested time into learning about fat loss. Beginners should post in the beginner's forum.

Will my love handles go away soon?
Old Wed, January 16th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Boot

Sex: Male
Default Will my love handles go away soon?

Hey guys, i've been making pretty good progress overall and I just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions, i've been doing bulking while eating REALLY clean, i've been told a serious cutting phase may be in order to get rid of all this mid-section fat, but i don't want to lose too much muscle or stop lifting for that matter..

anyway here are my pics, from august until up until last week. very little cardio, just lifting every other day and a strict diet.

let me know what you think! should i quit bulking and focus 100% on cutting? i've got to get rid of these love handles

Old Wed, January 16th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #2
odin1642

You've done a great job, and made a vast improvement to your physique.

Am not sure of your body fat levels but I'd guess 16-18 percent. Anyway I'd keep cutting for a while yet. I think ideally you shouldn't bulk till you reach low body fat levels. Some say you shouldn't bulk until you reach 8 percent, and then cyclically bulk and cut within the 8 to 15 percent zone. There's a lot of sense in that because that would keep you in the lean zone all year round. If you bulk above that, then once you're hitting the 20 plus body fat zone, you're looking at a double chin and a noticeable gut and an aesthetic appearance which is going downhill, plus poor mobility and poor performance in sporting activities etc. On the other hand keep lean all year round and you'll remain attractive, fit and mobile all year round.

I'd certainly keep cutting until you reach 12 percent, maybe less, but the problem is the lower you're going bodyfat wise, the more difficult it becomes to lose more fat i.e. it's much tougher to get down to 8 percent than 12 percent.

I'd say keep cutting and keep hitting the weights hard, that's the main thing.

Re the love handles, you're probably genetically predisposed to having them as people store fat in different places. It's said the love handle and belly area is the last area for the fat to come off so I don't think you'd lose the love handles completely without getting down to low body fat levels. But I wouldn't fixate on love handles.

Last edited by odin1642; Wed, January 16th, 2008 at 07:58 PM..

Old Thu, January 17th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Lo0p

Stats: 5'9" Current: 165 lbs @ sub-10% BF Goal: Even lower!

You'd look ded sexy if you knocked about 4 pts. off your bodyfat. I can "see" your lean body shape and what you'd look like if you spent like 4-12 quality weeks cutting...you'd look great, its probably exactly what you want. And you don't have to stop lifting, in fact you should never stop.

My vote: SGX, if you're unsure of how to cut or your own program if you're confident about it. Only for a short period though, it shouldn't take you much time at all from where you're at to turn heads.

Lo0p's New Life (My Journal)

Old Thu, January 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #4
Maya

Sex: Female
Stats: 5'10 (178 cm), 135-162 lb (12-25% BF). Now: 157 lb

If a clean bulk has lead you to these (great) results I'd say keep doing what you're doing

I would maybe tweak the nutrition a bit. Maybe do some carb cycling/ carb timing or so.

Old Thu, January 17th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #5
criteek

Stats: 180cm, 76kgs (167lbs) body fat: unknown

Be interested in knowing how many calories you've been taking in while bulking?

Would love to do something similar to what you've done.

Old Thu, January 17th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Caruthias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
If a clean bulk has lead you to these (great) results I'd say keep doing what you're doing

I would maybe tweak the nutrition a bit. Maybe do some carb cycling/ carb timing or so.
I agree with Maya.

Boot, your results have been utterly fantastic. I would either keep doing what you're doing, or focus on eating slightly "healthier."

Focus maybe on getting carbs in at the right times. Maybe try and get in more veggies and more fresh meats and such. Are you eating too much of one thing? Too many protein shakes, etc? Maybe focus on variety.

Seriously, your results are really great for a bulk (you've added muscle and clearly gotten leaner), so I think if you focus only on improving whatever plan you have now - WITHOUT changing your overall caloric intake - you'll have even better results.

Old Thu, January 17th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Gorilla

Good job! Don't even think about cutting. Keep clean bulking. You are to be commended for your progress, but remember, there is always more work to be done. A bulk will beef up the shoulders, add more volume to the pecs and nice size to the tri's , bi's and legs. Then you will not only turn heads, but be able to break them too (not that I condone that)

Old Sat, January 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #8
sciencegeek

Boot-

First off, congratulations on making such great progress! Your progress and the other members' responses to your post have convinced me that I am not doomed to have love-handles forever.

I was wondering if you would be willing to post your cutting routine + food log for a typical day. Based on your pictures, I have an almost identical body type, but look more like your "before" than your "after" and so am hoping I might be able to emulate your progress.

Any specific tips/ advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

Old Wed, January 30th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Boot

Wow I totally forgot to check this thread, thank you everyone for the support and motivation! I have to say being motivated is the number one thing, you have to set little goals and keep the big picture in mind at all times - it's so easy to fall off track as i have many many times before, but this time i'm not letting go of what i want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin1642 View Post
Re the love handles, you're probably genetically predisposed to having them as people store fat in different places. It's said the love handle and belly area is the last area for the fat to come off so I don't think you'd lose the love handles completely without getting down to low body fat levels. But I wouldn't fixate on love handles.
Its hard not to fixate on them, as they really don't match the rest of my upcoming physique - but I completely understand that they will be the last, not to mention the most difficult thing to get rid of.. and i'm ready for whatever it takes thank you for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo0p View Post
I can "see" your lean body shape and what you'd look like if you spent like 4-12 quality weeks cutting...you'd look great, its probably exactly what you want.
I visualize it every day myself! haha its great motivation!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
Thank you!!! I'm going to continue clean bulking while dedicating to an HIIT cardio plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruthias View Post
Seriously, your results are really great for a bulk (you've added muscle and clearly gotten leaner), so I think if you focus only on improving whatever plan you have now - WITHOUT changing your overall caloric intake - you'll have even better results.
I think that's going to be the best thing for me as well, since i've gotten used to my routine (it doesn't bother me, i don't even feel like i'm going out of my way when i work out), I think i can really clean up certain aspects for example getting on top of the cardio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
You are to be commended for your progress, but remember, there is always more work to be done.
Absolutely, i am nowhere near where I want to be, i'm just really happy to see results and have something to show for sticking to my program

Quote:
Originally Posted by criteek View Post
Be interested in knowing how many calories you've been taking in while bulking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
I was wondering if you would be willing to post your cutting routine + food log for a typical day.
I am not keeping a daily food log nor am I necessarily counting calories, but i'd sa on average i'm getting between 1400-1600 calories a day. I stick primarily to oatmeal in the morning, apples and bananas during the day, almonds, peanut butter, asparagus, some beef jerky during the day for the most part. For meals i do lean turkey breast with veggies, i'm getting really into cooking all of my meals which really helps - your mouth starts to water as you cook and you can really get into what you're eating, especially if its good for you.

Old Wed, January 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #10
user786

Stats: 5ft 8

Hey Well done some great progress there.
whats your weight on the starting finishing photos..
also whats your basic lifting routine.

Have you been continuously eating only around 1500 cals or have you had refeed days where you bump up the calories.?

thanks

2012 Goals journal
http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/s...ad.php?t=52496

Old Wed, February 6th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #11
Phoenix

Stats: 5'10 1/2", 190lb about 9% bf

Good work bro, it is a lot of hard work but worth it in the end.

Don't worry about the love handles man, yours are smaller than mine, the spare tyre is usually the last to go for a lot of people. That is one of the last spots comming off on me. It sucks top row of six pack is slowly becoming defined but bottom is being stubborn.
Doesn't really matter will come off with more hard work.

My 61kg/134lb Transformation Thread

My Current Journal

My Transformation Spotlight of the Month - May 2009

Old Thu, February 7th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #12
Tallyho

Stats: 5'10" - 200lbs.

Nice Job.Just stick with it and you soon will see them come off.

Old Fri, February 8th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #13
leftyx

leftyx is online
Stats: AUG 28, 2012 Wt 148 Bodyfat% 24.1 Abdomen: 36.5 ins

HOw are you doihng these days? Time to post up more pics.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/revitupmx5

Old Tue, February 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #14
ematsuda

Great job! Umm... but if you're actually getting lighter and leaner technically it means you're in a cutting phase, not bulking. 1400-1600 is usually a cutting calorie count unless you're 90lbs or so. But hey, call it what you want as long as you're getting the results you want.

My advice: Keep cutting until you've reached a BF level that you're satisfied with. Then add approx. 500 calories over maintenance a day to bulk about 1 lb. per week until you're on the verge of being uncomfortable with the added fat, then cut again. Have a 3rd party monitoring your BF levels so you get an accurate read using the same technique on a consistent basis. Most of all, keep it up - forever.

Last edited by ematsuda; Fri, February 15th, 2008 at 02:39 PM..