John Stone Fitness Forums

John Stone Fitness Forums (http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/index.php)
-   General Health/Fitness, Health Conditions & Injuries (http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A catchy title about elbows that... (http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=4065)

Proctorjc Wed, April 28th, 2004 01:57 PM

A catchy title about elbows that...

...makes you want to continue reading the post.

It was mentioned in one of the knee problem threads about elbows...

My elbows have been grinding/popping for seven years now. They'd only do that when I put weight on them - i.e. bench presses, push-ups, pull-ups, etc.

And I finally went in to visit the doc today. While he had no ideas about what was wrong, he sent me down for x-rays and I've got an appointment with an orthopedic doctor on the 13th on May.

Four pictures of each elbow. These were my first x-rays, so I thought it was pretty neat. I -did- think it a little suspicious that the technician ran behind a big metal door before he pushed the "go" button... And I thought it was pretty neat that the pictures were done within four minutes.

If I had a scanner, I'd be able to scan them in, but I don't. If I can get my hands on them, I'll try to photograph it with a digital camera... Maybe I can get something done with that. (I thought it was so cool that they took pictures of the bones! That were inside me! Through my skin!)

Uhm, well.... I think I gotta go... Someplace else. Right now! Weee!!!

Jeff. (Honest, I don't think I'm insane...)

Destiny Wed, April 28th, 2004 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5M17H
If you find out anything useful, I would be extremely interested to know.

Me too! My left elbow pops when I workout. It gets a weird ache and it is relieved after it pops, but then it happens all over again. The same thing happens to my left wrist. I have never put too much thought into it., but if anyone has any info, I would love to hear it!

Craig Mon, May 17th, 2004 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proctorjc
Four pictures of each elbow. These were my first x-rays, so I thought it was pretty neat. I -did- think it a little suspicious that the technician ran behind a big metal door before he pushed the "go" button... And I thought it was pretty neat that the pictures were done within four minutes.

haha...I thought that after I'd gone for an x-ray too. Don't worry though. X-rays only expose you to a very small amount of radiation, not enough to harm you. However, for those technicians working there everyday and being exposed to it, they could suffer if they didn't protect themselves.

Proctorjc Thu, May 20th, 2004 10:17 PM

Well, I had my appointment today (I know you all must have been waiting in anticipation to hear back from me... :p )

The doc put up the x-rays, and I told him what was bothering me. He felt my elbows and looked at the pictures and told me this: that my "funny bone" - the ulnar nerve - doesn't sit where it's supposed to.

Most people have ligaments to hold it in place, and most people have a deeper resting spot (hereby known as "groove") to sit. So whenever I put pressure on the elbow, the nerve will jump to the front of the elbow (the inside of the elbow) or jump over to the groove, depending on how my arm is positioned. The technical term for this is "subluxation of the ulnar nerve." I hear it's congenital.

There is basically nothing that can be done about it, besides surgery. When I get arthritis or CTS (cubital tunnel syndrome) in my ring and pinky finger, they can hold the nerve on the inside (front) of the elbow with surgery... But I'm looking to avoid CTS and arthritis.

Outside surgery, there is nothing that can be done. And the surgery might bring on more pain anyway.

I'm left to extremely wide grip low movement presses and butterflies for chest work, and I've no idea what I can do for the triceps. Any recommendations for tricep exercises that do not include elbows?

Least I can still run (for now... you know, until my knees go out, and I got a new-to-me bike, too).

Jeff.
Go go crazy genetic code/structure!

(Edit: clarification of CTS, added technical term)

fisherman88 Mon, June 28th, 2004 08:25 PM

Ulnar Nerve Subluxation

I recently underwent surgery to move my left Ulnar Nerve. The nerve was subluxing out of the groove in my left elbow.

The surgery was a complete success, if anyone would like information of the surgery / recovery feel free to email me.

Brian

murph3699 Mon, June 28th, 2004 10:07 PM

I had a submuscular ulnar transposition (move the "funny bone" nerve under the muscl) done on my left elbow last summer. It took me 10 weeks just to be able to completely straighten my arm. My surgery was a success too, but I'd recomend trying the conservative route first.

Filthysock Tue, June 29th, 2004 07:35 AM

go to a chiropractor

Bluestreak Tue, June 29th, 2004 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proctorjc
If I had a scanner, I'd be able to scan them in, but I don't. If I can get my hands on them, I'll try to photograph it with a digital camera... Maybe I can get something done with that. (I thought it was so cool that they took pictures of the bones! That were inside me!

FYI... these days, to lower costs many places now take the x-rays digitally; you can ask for a copy on CD and they have to give it to you. I've got one or two laying around my house from when I damaged my foot.

jRS Tue, June 29th, 2004 04:48 PM

I think you should
1) See a doctor
2) Physical Therapy
3) If PT doesnt work: x-rays etc
Dont wait to long (years) before you do anything. Might be harder to fix the problem.

Proctorjc Wed, June 30th, 2004 11:16 AM

I was about to write the other day, but I held back on it... Now I'll quick response to lots of things.

I had gone to a doctor about it. Though I did hold off on it quite a bit, getting opinions of a few people that might know about it. All this after the 50 pushups in the morning started bothering me too much.

The sport doctor looked at it the first time, and maybe thought I was making it up. So we went and got x-rays done. A few weeks after that, we went back to him and he looked at it, told me just what I didn't want to hear - that there really is no physical therapy because there really are no ligaments holding the nerve in place.

If there were any conventional means to fix it (short of surgery), I'd love to know it, but I'm not under the impression that there is. So I guess I'll be getting the surgery done on the by and by. (My stepmom had carpal tunnel surgery done recently... I think I had better start saving my pennies for this thing yesterday.)

Jeff.

murph3699 Wed, June 30th, 2004 01:05 PM

If you have Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, not to be confused with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, there is no physical therapy to improve the condition. If anything, PT will make it worse. When I was first diagnosed last spring, I chose a conservative course of treatment to avoid surgery. I had to wear a brace fitted to my arm from the shoulder to the wrist overnight for six weeks. Looking at the eight inch scar that runs from my tricep to my forearm, the brace didn't work. My left hand lost half its strength and I had that "I just wacked my funnybone" feeling for hours sometimes. The operation was quick, about two or three hours (I was awake but extremely happy). I went home that day. I had twenty four staples and a soft cast for two weeks. After three weeks, I started my rehab. Ten weeks post surgery, I completed rehab and could finally move my arm all the way. My symptoms were relieved as soon as I had the surgery. A year later, I have full movement and I am now able to lift more weight than I could pre-surgery. I was lazy all winter so I could have made gains sooner, thats my fault. I can only speak for submuscular ulnar transposition surgery, the most common to relieve CTS. Its not to be confused w/Carpal Tunnel. I did alot of research on the procedure before I considered it. There is alot of information on the internet. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.

Proctorjc Thu, July 8th, 2004 09:40 AM

Thanks for the link. It's given me a lot to think about.