Sponsored Links

View Full Version : Protein Farts, and what to do about them

miami
Mon, September 27th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Since I modified my diet, and therefore increased my protein intake, including lots of chicken, tuna, protein shakes, etc..., my farts have increased radically. They are brutal, and when you smell like rotten eggs you cannot hide the guilty look on your face. :whistle:

So, I started adding Beano to my meals. So far, it has helped a little, but not much.

Any suggestions?

How do you deal with this problem?

Peace

Human Clay
Mon, September 27th, 2004, 04:18 PM
It happens to me, too, but so far I have no idea how to reduce it. It's not a major concern for me. I don't have a social life to begin with (not my fault, blame Hicksville!)

I can suggest one thing, though... pick the equipment closest to the gym's fans :whistle:

Bluestreak
Mon, September 27th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Try taking Beano before your meal - like 30 minutes before.

DeafNgari
Mon, September 27th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Most likely it is related to something(s) specific in your diet. I developed very very bad gas for a while and through systemic elimination of foods for a couple days, I found it was mostly caused by turkey for me.

ShadowPenguin
Tue, September 28th, 2004, 12:37 PM
screw it..let 'em rip! :lol:

luckily when mine come on i'm walking down a long hallway in some office somewhere so its kinda like a machine gun burst and noone knows who shot first :nod: :lol:

Bluestreak
Tue, September 28th, 2004, 12:41 PM
screw it..let 'em rip! :lol:

luckily when mine come on i'm walking down a long hallway in some office somewhere so its kinda like a machine gun burst and noone knows who shot first :nod: :lol:

We lay 'em down loud and rate them. The louder they are in the next office, the higher your rating. Same goes for belches.

Yes, we are that juvenile. It's a boy's dorm around my office. You can guess where the average conversation goes... right into the gutter each time.

Jimbo
Tue, September 28th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Most likely it is related to something(s) specific in your diet. I developed very very bad gas for a while and through systemic elimination of foods for a couple days, I found it was mostly caused by turkey for me.
For me, it's Kashi cereal. Guess I can't handle all the fiber in one shot. Too bad, 'cause I really like Kashi.

never_enough
Tue, September 28th, 2004, 01:11 PM
How do you deal with this problem?

bottle 'em :lol:

vortex72
Tue, September 28th, 2004, 02:58 PM
For me, it's Kashi cereal. Guess I can't handle all the fiber in one shot. Too bad, 'cause I really like Kashi.

Heh, that Kashi "Go Lean Crunch" is the worst. I'm going to stop buying it because I tend to binge on it since its such a convenience food. I'm pretty sure its the soy protein that makes it so nasty.. I kid you not, if I eat a big bowl of that stuff I will fart ALL day and I mean they are horrid. Smells like a mixture of raw sewage, rotting corpse, and laquer thinner :D

Kino
Tue, September 28th, 2004, 03:18 PM
I used to eat those Balance Gold Bars...They tasted great, but man did I get the worst gas from them. I'd let one go, away from everybody else that I worked with...and the they were so thick, if would follow me where ever I went. :lol:
I've kind of figured out to stay away from soy protein, and lower grade protein powders. If I just stick with real meat, and the powders I'm using right now, I seem to be pretty safe to be around.

ShadowPenguin
Tue, September 28th, 2004, 03:48 PM
We lay 'em down loud and rate them. The louder they are in the next office, the higher your rating. Same goes for belches.

Yes, we are that juvenile. It's a boy's dorm around my office. You can guess where the average conversation goes... right into the gutter each time.

thats one of the only thing i like about the two other techs i work with, out gutter is VERY deep and VERY smelly :lol:

our favorite is when one of the other guys is kneeling down at a server or something to do the walk by "leg lift" over the head. That way you get a rainbow effect and it lingers :tu:

Bluestreak
Tue, September 28th, 2004, 04:04 PM
our favorite is when one of the other guys is kneeling down at a server or something to do the walk by "leg lift" over the head. That way you get a rainbow effect and it lingers :tu:

That is so wrong. We make noise all day, but you have to keep your stink to your area. We judge solely on sound. Heaven help the guy who violates that peace treaty...

-R

FerretNose
Tue, September 28th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Upon the occasion of this vulgar yet amusing subject, I would like to post a link to what I think is the funniest fart story ever written:

http://www.ubersite.com/m/27284

FerretNose

John Stone
Tue, September 28th, 2004, 04:57 PM
"Hey, what's all this talk about farting?"

/obvious

CharlieFirpo
Wed, September 29th, 2004, 09:51 AM
I can only say,
I am glad to hear that many of you guys have this problem because I thought my body would be the only which reacts like this! :o

PeteBDawg
Wed, September 29th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Yeah, you know the old wives' tale about beans?

It's no old wives' tale. Anybody who rides the treadmills in my gym between 6:30 AM and 7:30 AM can tell you that. :o

Banditfist
Wed, September 29th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Use them to your advantage if you work out at a gym. If someone won't get off the equipment that you want to use, just drag one by them. My workout partner used to be able to clear half them gym. It was beautiful!

Bluestreak
Wed, September 29th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Use them to your advantage if you work out at a gym. If someone won't get off the equipment that you want to use, just drag one by them. My workout partner used to be able to clear half them gym. It was beautiful!

Working out with a partner who requires a gas mask to be near isn't appealing to me... this old lady at my gym wears 17 gallons of perfume (she's a walking asthma attack for me) but man, she could launch rockets into orbit with her flammability. She ripped one this morning that actually made me think of this thread... there was no one else nearby, just her and I separated by a treadmill to keep my distance from her perfume... but it wafted my way and man, oh man... there were roaches scurrying for clean air.

-R

LarryNC
Wed, September 29th, 2004, 08:49 PM
One morning, I drank 3 scoops of Chocolate GNC whey protein in about 20 oz water for bfast, then I went to biology class, and let one go, VERY!!! V E R Y SBD, some guy went O M G it smells like S H * T in here! and someone pointed to me! I acted like nothing happened, but inside I knew it stunk, and I can't smell anyway! when you cough to your own gas, you know somethings wrong, never have I ate whey ever again, other brands also gave me bad gas, and lactose too! :( Actually that day I think I had the whey with milk haha

French Spirit
Wed, September 29th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Haha. One time I ate two servings of Kashi and people claimed there was a "gastrointestinal attack" going on in my Muay Thai class. High fiber cereals = no, for me.

French Spirit
Wed, September 29th, 2004, 09:52 PM
P.S. You can't win.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/040924.html

Willpower and muscle control won't save you--if you don't shed the noisome molecules in the form of flatus, they'll be absorbed into your bloodstream and later waft from your breath or pores.

I wonder what fartbreath smells like.

ghotiboy1
Mon, October 4th, 2004, 08:03 PM
I found some solutions for you less-than-fortunate flatulators!

The Flatulence Deodorizer (http://www.flat-d.com/)
Under-Ease for Flatulence (http://www.under-tec.com/)
Flatulence Filter Seat Cushions! (http://www.gasbgon.com/home.htm)
Other cushions (http://www.flatulence-filter.com/)

My personal favorite is the Flat-D! It's a great read and might be worth a try!

miami
Tue, October 5th, 2004, 02:02 PM
At the request of my fiance I have reduced my intake of soy protein based cereals. The farting is reduced greatly. I almost miss them. Well, almost, like I might miss a zit or a hangnail. Six Meals a day, with protein shakes, bars, cans of tuna, and egg whites, still fuels the fire down below, but it is toned down just by not eating the "Go Lean Crunch"

:claphigh:

ShadowPenguin
Tue, October 5th, 2004, 04:05 PM
P.S. You can't win.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/040924.html

I wonder what fartbreath smells like.

I THINK I'VE HAD THAT!!!! LMAO

no joke man, every once in a great while i have these burps that seriously taste like what a fart would taste like.....smells like it too, i have no friggin idea what causes it, thank god it only happens like once a year if that.

LarryNC
Tue, October 5th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Rofl, this friend of mine burped and said "eww don't smell it stinks" then I thought "how the hell?" She burpfarted! heh.

My gas Increased alot when I ate golean cereals, and reduced alot when I stopped.

Question: Metamusial gives me alot of gas but Citrucel does not at all, whats the dilly yo?

feather319
Mon, October 1st, 2007, 09:31 PM
Gosh, I thought I was the only one with this problem! I am always bloated and full of gas. Sometimes my stomach is so full it is painful to run witht the pressure.

When I let gas, it stinks! I wish something could help. I am just concerned with Beano because it raises your carbohydrate content by 4-6 grams. And, is that really healthy to take sometime like that?

MannishBoy
Mon, October 1st, 2007, 09:54 PM
After awhile, this type of stuff went away for me. I think the bacteria in the gut has to repopulate to be able to fully break down the food.

You might try probiotics to see if it would help.

Big_D
Mon, October 1st, 2007, 09:55 PM
I'm the notorious farter out of all my friends. Last year in biology I cleared the entire room, as in people covering their faces coughing running out the door, about once a week. That GNC whey owns me, as do eggs, chicken, basically everything I eat every day, haha.

HevyMetal
Mon, October 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM
I have a pressure-sensor that straps around my abdomen and predetects flatulence. It is wired through an old MP-3 circuit board to a a siren that indicates nuclear attack.
The sensor detects minute changes in pressure and if it's 8 on the Richter scale, the siren will go into "oscillate mode" with a recorded message urging those within 5 miles to put on their gas masks and leave the area immediately.

But seriously....I believe this sort of flatulence (protein bars, shakes) is to do with undigested sugars being in the mix.

I think you can exclude Dextrose from the equation.

The sugars and proteins do not digest at the same rate. Therefore when this mess/mix reaches your intestines, you have an undigested partially-fermenting concoction which releases a gym-clearing volcanic blast.

This usually happens to people who eat say, a steak and then follow it with a piece of sugary strawberry pie or rich cake.

This is also true when you eat certain forma of protein with cream or milk. Especially if the protein is "animal"....like chicken or meat.

If you eat a steak and wash it down with a glass of milk, the milk will form a mucus in your stomach and coat the protein (meat) with it.

This mucus will adhere to the meat for quite awhile, so when it gets to your lower intestine you have a big lump of foul partially digested meat coated with mucus slime. The mucus interferes with digestion.

And this is where that level-8 fart is born.....:eek::o:eek::cry:

MannishBoy
Wed, October 3rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Just saw this (http://www.precisionnutrition.com/members/showthread.php?t=9007) on John Berardi's forum about this.

JoeSchmo
Wed, October 3rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Just learn to be creative.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uGggjysID4

SquashGuy
Wed, October 3rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Just learn to be creative.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uGggjysID4

Great Video JoeSchmo :claplow: .

NotNamedDan
Wed, October 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
I am starting a slow bulk, having been on a pretty steep deficit for the last few months. Each week I've been gradually adding calories, and am finally up to around 3000 a day.

3000 calories a day, with 40% protein, is um, having some interesting effects on my gastrointestinal system. I'm just living with it. For nearly 25 years, my father and I have been slowly poisoning our family.

Now seems like no time to stop.

banderbe
Wed, October 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
That's funny.. I'm carb cycling and on my refeed day I get carb farts like crazy.. I'm talking like 40 to 50 farts in a day. It seems worse if I eat Kashi Golean crunch that day.. coincidence? As soon as I drop back for my low days they go away. Protein intake stays the same at all times.

med267
Mon, October 8th, 2007, 05:58 AM
If we are talking training supplements for a gold in the upcoming Fart Olympics....try malitol filled low carb products.

A unique blend of Brutal....yet breathtaking.

kecko1
Mon, October 8th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I'd also suggest checking your fibre intake. You may need to add a fibre supplement to keep things moving down there...

carguy
Mon, October 8th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Man, I never associted my farts with GoLean Crunch but I eat that every morning. Maybe I should switch to somehting else. Wife would really appreciate it.

guava
Mon, October 8th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Man, I never associted my farts with GoLean Crunch but I eat that every morning. Maybe I should switch to somehting else. It's the inulin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inulin). :nod:

My sister can't eat it at all, because she gets horrible stomach cramps. I used to eat it for a while, but I noticed I was building an intolerance to it, so I quit. I think my husband did notice a difference, now that I think of it. :o

Assuming one is not allergic to inulin/fructo-oligosaccharides, typical side effects (http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/knowledge_base/kb/inulin.htm) will vary depending on one's level of tolerance. The list of known side effects include: flatulence, bloating, cramps, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. As inulin permeates our food supply, the list of side effects is expected to grow.

MannishBoy
Mon, October 8th, 2007, 08:06 PM
It's the inulin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inulin). :nod:

My sister can't eat it at all, because she gets horrible stomach cramps. I used to eat it for a while, but I noticed I was building an intolerance to it, so I quit. I think my husband did notice a difference, now that I think of it. :o

Assuming one is not allergic to inulin/fructo-oligosaccharides, typical side effects (http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/knowledge_base/kb/inulin.htm) will vary depending on one's level of tolerance. The list of known side effects include: flatulence, bloating, cramps, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. As inulin permeates our food supply, the list of side effects is expected to grow.

Strangely, I think I've built a tolerance after initially not having it go too well. I suspect it's due to bacterial make up of the colon, and once you've developed the right kind with use it's not so bad. I noticed it with stevia, which is bulked with inulin.

HevyMetal
Mon, October 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM
If you people all train at the same gym on the same day, I'm certainly glad I'm not a member....

splice
Sun, October 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM
not sure if this was mentioned above, but the quality of whey i was purchasing made a significant difference in the overall foulness and quantity of said air biscuits. purely anecdotal, of course, but my family appreciated the change.

vesuvio
Sun, October 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Does anyone remember that skit from In Living Color where it's an ad for something you wear to make your farts smell good- they had different flavors- "hey is that vanilla?" haha- but seriously I always wondered why no one ever made that for real

mattback
Mon, October 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM
i miss my nitrean farts

i still eat tons of nitrean a day, but my bodys' adapted :(

HevyMetal
Mon, October 15th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Nitrean farts are illegal in Dade county...

Glaive
Sat, October 20th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Excess gas is not uncommon when you change your diet. If they persist more than a week or two at the most it's generally an indication that something in your digestive system is out of whack.

My suggestions:

1) You should be eating at least a small serving of green, leafy vegetables with EVERY meal. This provides not only helpful dietary fiber, but green vegetables are also very alkaline (opposite of acidic) and will counteract the large amount of acid produced by the digestion of protein.

2) Have at least one serving a day of yogurt or some other cultured, probiotic food (Kefir is another option). The active cultures and helpful enzymes contained in these foods will not only help restore intestinal balance but also boost your immune system. I personally recommend any fat free all-natural or organic yogurt. My personal favorite is Cascade Fresh. Get plain if you want to minimize sugar intake. If you want to avoid that yogurt "tanginess" but still keep sugar low, Vanilla is general the lowest in sugar of yogurt flavors.

3) Papaya contains very powerful digestive enzymes. Eating it with your meal or drinking some papaya juice can help prevent digestive problems or ease ones that have already started. You can also find papaya enzyme sold by itself in natural food stores and other places that carry supplements. It will either be in a bottle in pill form or you can buy it in little tablets similar to Tums.

angiey2k27
Sat, November 3rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
I just had the worst day today as far as gas and bloating is concerned. And it came after a night where I had a huge bowl of Kashi GoLean Crunch cerreal with my ff milk. Conincidence?

All day- nothing but running to the rr, bloating, painful cramps, diahrea. I can't believe I made it to the gym and got through a leg routine. Certainly couldn't make it a cardio day.

Also, I have been having gas for quite some time. And its still a mystery to me. I will lay off the GoLean Crunch for a while. And see if thats what it is. I was getting ready to take the mnilk out of my diet, the broccoli from my lunch, and find out if my protein is too old and switch brands. I am always trying to figure out what it is. BEcause its embarrassing, frustrating, and many times keeps me from going to the gym because of the "pain". Plus, it makes working on abs very difficult. =(

kree-kree
Sat, November 3rd, 2007, 07:06 AM
As much as I love the Go Lean Crunch I had to stop eatting it because of the gas. I was killing my family with the fumes!:eek: A couple of my other friends had the same problem. We just went cold turkey...no more go lean crunch...problem solved!

MannishBoy
Sat, November 3rd, 2007, 09:00 AM
Go Lean Crunch has inulin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inulin) fiber (Chicory Root Fiber). That does it to some people.

Inulin is indigestible by the human enzymes ptyalin and amylase, which are adapted to digest starch. As a result, inulin passes through much of the digestive system intact. It is only in the colon that bacteria metabolise inulin, with the release of significant quantities of carbon dioxide and/or methane. Inulin-containing foods can be rather gassy, particularly for those unaccustomed to inulin, and these foods should be consumed in moderation at first. Most individuals can adapt to increased dietary fiber and most Americans consume only half the daily recommended value of dietary fiber.

I know it got to me when I started using stevia that was bulked with inulin. Doesn't bother me now.

angiey2k27
Sun, November 4th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Since I stopped eating it the other day, I notied no more gas, painful cramps, unusual bloating, and diahrea. So hopefully, this problem was solved.

I hated giving it up. i love that cereal. And I have one more unopned box. I might just eat it on the weekends. :drool:

erik.whitman
Sun, November 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM
So after reading about the Kashi Go-Lean Crunch, I went out and bought a box just to see if it was everything you guys said it was. Needless to say it tates great. :D It is really convieniant. I love it. The only problem...no gas. :( I was looking forward to ambushing some unsuspecting gym goers, and nothing at all. I have found that if I eat alot of egg/soy protien (30+ grams) that my gas is horrible. I have brought tears to my wifes eyes with this combo. :tu: But I got nothing from the Kashi.

MannishBoy
Sun, November 4th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Since I stopped eating it the other day, I notied no more gas, painful cramps, unusual bloating, and diahrea. So hopefully, this problem was solved.

I hated giving it up. i love that cereal. And I have one more unopned box. I might just eat it on the weekends. :drool:

Try eating something with probiotics or take some as supplements. Maybe your gut will grow the right kind of bacteria to break it down without the gas. After awhile, my "reactions" to inulin went away.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links