Sponsored Links

View Full Version : whey protein without sucralose(splenda) in it?

ajna_star
Tue, August 24th, 2004, 10:18 PM
are there any whey protein suplements, or meal replacement shakes that dont have sucralose or aspartamine in them?

sucralose gives me hot flashes, and apartamine is just plain bad for you :-p

dietair
Wed, August 25th, 2004, 01:58 AM
are there any whey protein suplements, or meal replacement shakes that dont have sucralose or aspartamine in them?

I am using Smoothie King Supplement (yes Smoothie King is in on it too, company is called: SK Nutritional Formulas, LLC.)

My supplement powder ran out and I hadn't anticipated my 5lb tub to run out so fast. I was forced to buy one 2.5lb jar of Smoothie King Whey Protein Isolate called GLADIATOR: says its aspartame free.

I am not sure how it racks up price wise but its 36 bucks for 20 servings, each serving has 45g of protein/ 1g Carb/ 0 FAT. It also has glutamine added to it. Thats about the best part of this powder.

I generally take half a serving at a time. Average about 1-1/2 servings over a day.

I have the vanilla flavor. This powder tastes like rotten eggs (never had them but I would imagine this is how they taste) and smells like milk gone bad! But probably thats because it has Egg White Solids.

I have to literally avoid smelling this stuff just so I can drink my 36 bucks.

supirman
Wed, August 25th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Without any sweetener, you'd likely be able to bear the taste and ingest it. I've never heard of anything without a sweetener. I don't see a high demand for such a product, thus you might have some trouble finding one. I mean, why would a company purposely make their product taste disgusting? Your best bet would be to do a search on google probably.

John Stone
Wed, August 25th, 2004, 08:48 AM
All The Whey 100% Hydrolyzed Whey Isolate is such a product.

Supirman is right about the taste, but I've been getting it down and I have a pretty weak stomach for stuff like that.

After a tough workout, what's so hard about quickly downing a vomit and aspirin flavored shot of sludge? I'm actually starting to get used to it now...
:drool:

Rudd
Wed, August 25th, 2004, 08:50 AM
EAS used to make an unsweetened whey supplement. Tastes fine, that is to say doesn't taste of anything at all. Designer protein made a similiar one but I prefered the EAS product.

Sock
Wed, August 25th, 2004, 09:51 AM
The All The Whey unflavored isolate and unflavored concentrate seem to be sweetener free.

swole
Wed, August 25th, 2004, 02:36 PM

As others mentioned, ATW.

Also, Bulk Foods has an unflavored concentrate, 5lbs for $20.51 delivered, or an unflavored isolate for $32.85 5lbs delivered. They also carry dextrose, which you should be using in your PWO shake. The dextrose will help sweenten the taste, but only use it PWO.

All the unflavored brands I've tried taste like a$$ without some form of sweetner. All these methods will help mask the taste: In a shake, I blend it with water, ice, vanilla extract and dextrose for post workout. For pre workout, I blend with fruit (strawberries, blueberries, banana, etc.). If mixed with oatmeal, I add no carb syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract and sometimes fresh fruit. If mixed with cottage cheese, I mix in fresh fruit, cinnamon, vanilla extract. I can't stomach the taste of unsweetened protein alone and all these seem to help.

Edited to add link for the unflavored isolate. I am not affiliated with them, I usually buy ON flavored, ATW unflavored isolate or this brand unflavored isolate:

http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=4166&txtsearchParamCat=1&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch

StevieD
Wed, August 25th, 2004, 05:51 PM
After a tough workout, what's so hard about quickly downing a vomit and aspirin flavored shot of sludge? I'm actually starting to get used to it now...
:drool:

This gives me flashbacks to my college days. Back then my brothers and I knew next to nothing about proper nutrition, but we were still convinced that we had to take "amino acids", probably based on something out of Muscle & Fitness or something (sheesh).

One product we used (I forget the brand, but I know it was one of the big ones that is still around) was a liquid amino acid concoction. We always called it a "vomit shot", but now I realize after reading the sentence above that it DID taste a bit like aspirin as well. I wonder if there's a similar chemical composition between the two? Amino acids are there in proteins, I'm pretty sure.

Man, that stuff was nasty. :p

socks
Mon, October 4th, 2004, 09:37 PM
ON Natural 100% whey has no artificial sugars. It is flavored with stevia which looks to be a safe natural sweetner (google for stevia I can't find anything bad).

tbosley1
Tue, October 5th, 2004, 02:56 AM
ON Natural 100% whey has no artificial sugars. It is flavored with stevia which looks to be a safe natural sweetner (google for stevia I can't find anything bad).

Stevia has been rejected by Canada, the European community and the FDA.

guava
Tue, October 5th, 2004, 05:02 AM

This just seems really counterintuitive to me.
The stevia is an option, but if you don't want ANY artificial sweeteners, then I would think you're maybe barking up the wrong tree. I can't imagine finding a shake that would taste good without being sweet. Can't you just eat a can of tuna or some hard boiled eggs or something?

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links