Sponsored Links

View Full Version : Tricep Exercise: Closed Grip Bench or Incline Closed Grip Bench?

kmfisher
Wed, August 18th, 2004, 04:35 PM
For the triceps, what is the difference between the Closed Grip Bench Press (6-8" spacing) and the Incline Closed Grip Bench Press for tricep emphasis? I am using going to use the exercise for tricep development (along w/ bench dips) on my chest/tri day. I want the secondary emphasis of hitting the upper-inner chest from the incline, but not if it sacrifices my tricep workout at this point.

Should I do one, the other, or both? Thanks.

Bluestreak
Wed, August 18th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Do you mean close-grip bench press?

kmfisher
Wed, August 18th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Well, yes and no. I read that Close grip is just narrower than shoulder width. I thought I read somewhere that Closed was hands placed about 6" to 8" apart. I think they were also referred to as Extremely-Close grip bench press.

Kino
Wed, August 18th, 2004, 05:02 PM
For the triceps, what is the difference between the Closed Grip Bench Press (6-8" spacing) and the Incline Closed Grip Bench Press for tricep emphasis? I am using going to use the exercise for tricep development (along w/ bench dips) on my chest/tri day. I want the secondary emphasis of hitting the upper-inner chest from the incline, but not if it sacrifices my tricep workout at this point.

I don't think I've ever heard of anybody doing an Incline Close Grip Bench for the Tri's before. If you wanted to hit you Upper Chest and your Tri's, I suggest two different movements, with the Incline Benches as the second. Two other exercises I will throw on the table though. Reverse Tricep Pushdowns, if you have access to a high pulley system, with an easy curl attachment. Palms facing up, not down, and focus the tension on your pinkie fingers as you pull. This'll hit the largest area of the Tricep much more than traditional pushdowns will.
Also...and you'll see me say this one alot...Neck Presses. (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BBGuillotineBenchPress.html) Be careful with these though...they can be buggers on the shoulders.
Sorry for going off on a tangent... :rolleyes:

Bluestreak
Wed, August 18th, 2004, 05:06 PM
I always do close-grips flat. I have experimented with form on this a great deal and now get a great workout from them. It goes like this...

I use a pronated grip. On the way up, I keep my arms squeezed against my chest as I push up. This allows me to feel the movement in my chest close to my shoulders. It also recruits the triceps to a large degree. I'd say the effort going up is 50/50, chest/triceps. When I reach the top, I rotate my upper arms at the shoulders just a tiny bit so that my upper arm is standing up a little more vertical, then I lower the weight, resisting with the triceps only, all the while being sure that my arms are kept close to my sides. On the way down, the movement is more like 25/75, chest/triceps.

I can't speak to incline movements. Except for the incline bench for abs, I'm not a fan of it.

-R

Kino
Wed, August 18th, 2004, 05:08 PM
I always do close-grips flat. I have experimented with form on this a great deal and now get a great workout from them. It goes like this...

I use a pronated grip. On the way up, I keep my arms squeezed against my chest as I push up. This allows me to feel the movement in my chest close to my shoulders. It also recruits the triceps to a large degree. I'd say the effort going up is 50/50, chest/triceps. When I reach the top, I rotate my upper arms at the shoulders just a tiny bit so that my upper arm is standing up a little more vertical, then I lower the weight, resisting with the triceps only, all the while being sure that my arms are kept close to my sides. On the way down, the movement is more like 25/75, chest/triceps.

I can't speak to incline movements. Except for the incline bench for abs, I'm not a fan of it.

-R

Thank you...I was about to say that I never understood the proper way to perform Close Grip Presses until my trainer actually showed me. I don't think I could have explained that as well as you did.

kmfisher
Wed, August 18th, 2004, 05:21 PM
So, when you get to the top of the movement, you rotate your elbows away from your torso some? Like to a 45 degree angle?

The only reason I am doing it on the incline is to try to let the chest part of it hit the upper-inner pecs more. My lower pecs are overdeveloped compared to the upper. It makes me look like I have man-boobs when I have a shirt on. On the flip side, I'll already be doing incline bench and flat bench before this, so I really want this to focus on triceps only with the chest as a small added bonus.

As a side note for the triceps, what exercise focuses more on the medial head than the long head and lateral head? My median head is severely under developed compared to my lateral and long heads.

Thanks again.

Bluestreak
Wed, August 18th, 2004, 05:36 PM
I'm increasing the angle made between my chest and my arms so as to force the tricep to provide more resistance in lowering the weight. Also, I never extend to near "lockout" on this movement; you should always feel your triceps under some pressure. If at any point in the movement you don't feel your triceps doing some work, you're either lifting far too lightly or you're not doing something right.

This link (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/BBCloseGripBenchPress.html) shows some good form - but it differs significantly from what I do. I don't extend my arms all the way as the link shows and my hands are closer together - I just measured it, and my hands are only about 6"~7" apart at the inner knuckles.

JeremyLikness
Wed, August 18th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Working your triceps is as simple as extending your arm through resistance. If you look at the angle formed by your elbow, you'll see that a narrower grip forces the elbow angle to change through a wider range - this is shifting the work to the triceps from the chest. When you add the incline, you are now resisting gravity at an angle as well. This resistance will come from your anterior deltoids to keep your arms stable when they are not perpendicular to the floor. It will still work your triceps, you are simply involving more deltoids as well.

Jeremy

chicanerous
Wed, August 18th, 2004, 06:03 PM
As a side note for the triceps, what exercise focuses more on the medial head than the long head and lateral head? My median head is severely under developed compared to my lateral and long heads.

Every tricep exercises is going to work all the heads, but some supposively put more emphasis on certain heads:

Equally: Pushdowns (facing machine), Lying DB Tricep Extensions (middle of DB to top of head)
Medial & Lateral: Lying Tricep Extensions (to forehead)
Long: Pushdowns (facing away from machine), Lying Tricep Extensions (to behind head), One-Arm DB Tricep Extensions, Seated DB Tricep Extensions, Seated EZ-Bar Tricep Extensions (underhand)
Lateral: Pushdowns (with rope), Seated EZ-Bar Tricep Extensions (overhand)
Medial: Reverse Pushdowns

Remember that it has a lot to do with your form.

kmfisher
Thu, August 19th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Do you think that I should do weighted bench dips and reverse pushdowns instead of close grip bench press and bench dips? I could also do bench dips, close grip bench press, and reverse pushdowns, but this is going to make my workout pretty long and possibly overwork my arms.

chicanerous
Thu, August 19th, 2004, 10:43 AM
They're all great tricep exercises. You can do a variety of things if you want to use all three:

Split your usual total numbers of sets up between the three.

Pick one of them that you always want to use and then each successive workout follow some alternating scheme between the other two.

Rotate all three on a schedule.

Kino
Thu, August 19th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Do you think that I should do weighted bench dips and reverse pushdowns instead of close grip bench press and bench dips? I could also do bench dips, close grip bench press, and reverse pushdowns, but this is going to make my workout pretty long and possibly overwork my arms.

Either way...2 or 3 exercises really isn't too much, depending on how many others you're doing for your chest. Just remember to try and use an ez curl bar if possible for the reverse pd's. and focus on trying to pull through your pinkies, instead of through the entire grip. If you don't have an ez curl cable attachment, try to focus the best you can in the same way on whatever bar you have.

chicanerous
Thu, August 19th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Just remember to try and use an ez curl bar if possible for the reverse pd's. and focus on trying to pull through your pinkies, instead of through the entire grip. If you don't have an ez curl cable attachment, try to focus the best you can in the same way on whatever bar you have.

Also, keep your elbows at the sides. It's imperative that they "be calm" during the exercise. If they start moving then you're using too much weight.

kmfisher
Thu, August 19th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll try to do all 3 exercises in my workout. I'll focus on the pinkies, too. Here is what I am planning on doing for my chest/tri day. All are sets of 8,6,4,2 as a change from 8,8,8:

Incline Bench Press
Flat Bench Press
Close Grip Bench Press (maybe on Incline)
Weighted Bench Dips (w/ stability ball at feet)
Reverse Tricep Pushdown

I'm not sure if it will or will not be too much. I've never done a rep scheme like this with progressively increasing weights. I've always stuck to 3x10, 3x8, 5x5, etc. It's a short 4-6 week cycle as I finish off my bulking cycle. Then, its on to the Book of Muscle workouts.

Kino
Thu, August 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Personally...I'd just do the close grips on a flat bench. Your deltoids are gonna get enough work from your other chest exercises, and adding the incline may subrtact from what you're able to do for the triceps.

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links