Sponsored Links

View Full Version : So what's a good gift for a woman who just gave birth?

Skoorb
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Any day now we'll have our first. Money is, needless to say, not in great excess at the moment, so what's a pretty inexpensive gift to get my wife? Apparently this is something that you're supposed to "do". I heard that flowers are in order, but what else? Running shoes? :claplow:

Bluestreak
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Running shoes? :claplow:

That'll go over like a fart in an elevator!

I've ordered one of these (http://store.yahoo.com/vtbear/new-baby-gifts-ideas.html) a few times for friends having babies. They have gone over very well and cost under $80 delivered if you order the right one.

-R

Knubb
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Any day now we'll have our first. Money is, needless to say, not in great excess at the moment, so what's a pretty inexpensive gift to get my wife? Apparently this is something that you're supposed to "do". I heard that flowers are in order, but what else? Running shoes? :claplow:
Wouldn't running shoes most likely be interpreted as "I expect you to lose the weight you've gained fast"? Just thinking...

A really cool gift would be if there was a place that could custom make teddy bears. Having a teddy's belly "engraved" with your childs name and time of birth is something I would like when I have kids (when that day comes). Maybe I should get into the teddy bear business... :confused:

HobbesAB
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Congratulations on the baby. My wife and I are expecting our third by early December.

Regarding the "gift",well, every situation is different. I didn't know that there was supposed to be a gift but I wanted to do something for her.

For our first baby, I went on a mad cleaning spree and got everything in top shape when I took my wife and baby home from the hospital. My wife told me that coming home from the hospital with everything taken care of was a big relief to her and she was greatly appreciative.

I also gave her some "me time" After carrying the baby for 9 months and being sick ALL THE TIME, I told her she had earned some down time. I got her a new book and made her a hot bath with some of her favorite salts and other bath stuff. I told her when she was ready I would fix dinner and she was to relax and enjoy herself. I would do most of the chores, cooking, etc until she finished the book.

Money was also tight and this was inexpensive. It just took some effort on my part but the effort was worth it. How do I know? My wife's friends and co-workers told me.

D.A.C.
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Hrmmm, I'm not sure... Maybe, time and rest to recover, and being a good father to the baby?

HobbesAB
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Running shoes? Only if you want Mrs Skoorb to hit you in the head.

Postpartum depression may set in and her moods/emotions/whatever may be out of whack. Regardless of postpartum depression or not, she may not want to be reminded about her weight gain. Give her some time and get her the shoes later after she says and/or hints about wanting to run. If you talked about it before delivery, then just ask her when she wants them and that its no big deal to you when/if she ever gets them

slush_puppy
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Great suggestions HobbesAB... Skoorb, listen to the man!

Oh, and congratulations! Look out, life kicks in to warp speed right about now, hold on tight.

JeremyLikness
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Offer to change the diapers for the first 3 months, and tell her you'll take on the dishes, too.

Jeremy

Destiny
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Congratulations on the baby. My wife and I are expecting our third by early December.

Regarding the "gift",well, every situation is different. I didn't know that there was supposed to be a gift but I wanted to do something for her.

For our first baby, I went on a mad cleaning spree and got everything in top shape when I took my wife and baby home from the hospital. My wife told me that coming home from the hospital with everything taken care of was a big relief to her and she was greatly appreciative.

I also gave her some "me time" After carrying the baby for 9 months and being sick ALL THE TIME, I told her she had earned some down time. I got her a new book and made her a hot bath with some of her favorite salts and other bath stuff. I told her when she was ready I would fix dinner and she was to relax and enjoy herself. I would do most of the chores, cooking, etc until she finished the book.

Money was also tight and this was inexpensive. It just took some effort on my part but the effort was worth it. How do I know? My wife's friends and co-workers told me.

I think this is a great idea. You could also get her a gift certificate for something to make her feel pretty like a manicure or a facial. Or if you can afford it you could buy her a "day of beauty" so she could get all of the spa goodies including a massage! I am sure that would feel great after carrying a baby for nine months! :tu:

simon.karlsson
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Get her a Pet tortoise :D :p :)

Ansett
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 10:44 PM
A common gift I'm aware of is a nice gold ring (white or gold, whichever she likes best) with the new baby's birthstone set in it. Since it's not a diamond ring, I don't think it has to be god-awfull expensive. Then with every new baby, you steal the ring and set a new birthstone in it. If your wife is into jewelry, she may like that. Otherwise I really like the "pampering, getting the house ready, and taking the load off her after the baby is home" ideas.
OH! And some Daddies give the baby a birthday present. It will be his/her birthday, after all, and will be really sweet on the videotape. Don't forget to sing him/her "Happy Birthday", too. Cake isn't necessary. :D

angel_b
Wed, July 14th, 2004, 03:47 AM

Marry me? :D

Seriously though, most excellent suggestions. :claplow:

Skoorb
Wed, July 14th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the ideas so far :D

I did a spa thing last week. They are darned expensive!

The running shoes were a joke ;)

Duckman
Wed, July 14th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Like Hobbes, I'd suggest a really good meal...that is if you're a good cook.

How about duck breast filets with creamy orange sauce, sauteed veggies, hasselbach potatoes and a St. Emilion Grand Crû? or Margrets Grillés Sause Aillade? :drool:

Skoorb
Wed, July 14th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Like Hobbes, I'd suggest a really good meal...that is if you're a good cook.

How about duck breast filets with creamy orange sauce, sauteed veggies, hasselbach potatoes and a St. Emilion Grand Crû? or Margrets Grillés Sause Aillade? :drool:I'm about as good at cooking as Britney Spears is on Jeopardy. :eat:

That does sound good, though!

simon.karlsson
Wed, July 14th, 2004, 08:58 PM
:claplow: I'm about as good at cooking as Britney Spears is on Jeopardy. :eat:

That does sound good, though!

HAHAHAHA!!!
How about a cooked pet tortoise!.

isn´t that what any new mother would die for :p

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links