View Full Version : Egg Whites or Egg Yoke?

FatBurner
Mon, July 12th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Which is better for you? Egg white or egg yoke or both? Will it make much of a difference what part you eat?

jRS
Mon, July 12th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Egg white. Protein and low on fat.

JeremyLikness
Mon, July 12th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Which is better for you? Egg white or egg yoke or both? Will it make much of a difference what part you eat?

Both. The yolk contains some fat, but fat is not the enemy - fat has a stigma attached to it from the decades of "low fat" advice that basically allowed the obesity and overweight levels in the U.S. CLIMB so you can see how effective that advice was. Eggs are often hailed for their high quality of protein, but few people realize that these tests are with the whole egg. It actually loses value when you only eat the yolk. The yolk contains nearly half the protein, fats, and healthy antioxidants such as Vitamin E. Eggs from free range or grain-fed chickens are superior in quality.

Traditionally, the yolk was shunned for cholesterol diet, another old myth that is dying hard - for more information on why you needn't worry about the cholesterol in egg yolks, read this:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html

Jeremy

jRS
Mon, July 12th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Both.
Really? Thats good news. I dont really like the egg white omelett...

TheLemonSong
Mon, July 12th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Jeremy, where can you find a good source that outlines the nutritional data of just eggwhites and just yolks??

Musicguy
Mon, July 12th, 2004, 06:38 PM
It actually loses value when you only eat the yolk. The yolk contains nearly half the protein, fats, and healthy antioxidants such as Vitamin E.

Great post, Jeremy... but I think you meant to say "if you only eat the white."

I agree... whole eggs are great. I also confess that sometimes I reduce the number yolks in my omelette, but it's only to reduce the total calories. But my 4th meal today was 4 whole eggs. :D

swole
Mon, July 12th, 2004, 09:38 PM

Yolks contain a lot of important nutrients: protein, calcium, copper, zinc, Vit E, Omega 3's, riboflavin, Vit D, the list goes on. Yolks are fine within resonable limits, but if you eat a lot of eggs, I would limit the number of yolks you eat per week. The American Heart Association (AHA) says limit dietary cholesterol to about 300 mg per day. One yolk contains 210 mg, so that would indicate about one yolk per day. They did say you can average it over a week, so that would be about 7 yolks per week.

There is research all over the place on this, but the bottom line is the amount of cholesterol you are taking in daily may affect the amount being produced by your liver. That is what you have to be concerned most with, not the yolk itself, but how much cholesterol is being manufactured by your liver? This varies from individual to individual and depends on the rest of your diet and activity level, amoung other things. One person can eat several yolks per day and it will have little effect on what is produced by the liver. Another person could be affected by just one yolk per day. There was a recent study done at Harvard Medical School (published in JAMA) that indicates that if your liver is manufacturing too much cholesterol, your chances of having a heart attack or stroke doubles with eating just one yolk per day. You will only know what is right for you if you get your cholesterol levels tested yearly. If you are not willing to do that, then I would stay within the AHA guidelines of less than seven yolks per week, assuming the rest of your diet is OK.

In Japan, they have the highest per capita consumption of yolks per week in the world, but also have the lowest cholesterol levels. But the people studied had a low overall trans and saturated fat diet. We Americans eat more trans and satuated fats and have higher cholesterol levels and have greater levels of heart attacks and strokes, so there probably is a relationship there to your overall diet. If you eat a low trans an saturated fat, high fiber diet and you workout, I would say you are on the safer side of the curve. Again, it it not the fat in the yolk to be concerned with, it is the amount of cholesterol that your liver manufacturers to be concerned with.

All this talk about eggs is making me hungry. Later.

Bunko
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 06:24 AM
I would say pretty much the only reason to NOT eat the yolk is if you are trying to limit the calories. The whites are very low calorie, around 30 cals from one egg compared to 75 from the whole egg.

fat has a stigma attached to it from the decades of "low fat" advice that basically allowed the obesity and overweight levels in the U.S. CLIMB so you can see how effective that advice was.

This is a very good point and I am almost sure that low carb craze that is so popular today will end up being the same. It is just much easier to try to sell people the more expensive protein than to teach them which carbs are not good and which are great (just like with fats, there are lots of good fats).

guava
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 06:38 AM
I debated once buying eggbeaters, until I realized that it was cheaper to buy whole eggs and throw out the yolk. Then I couldn't bring myself to throw out the yolk because I thought it was such a waste.

My Nutrition Bible says
a large egg yolk has
59 calories,
3 g protein,
5 g fat (2 sat)
212 mg chol
23 mg calcium
81 mg phosphorous
0.6 mg iron
7 mg sodium
16 mg potassium
96 RE vitamin A
0.03 mg thiamin
0.11 mg riboflavin

a large egg white has
16 calories
3 g protein
0 fat
2 mg calcium
4 mg phosphorous
55 mg sodium
45 mg potassium
0.15 mg riboflavin

(I didn't include values that were zero)

It seems to me that the yolk contains important nutrients that are not in the white, so I've been eating the whole thing. I'm happy to hear that Jeremy agrees I'm doing the right thing. The only time I throw out the yolk now is if I'm making half a batch of muffins that calls for one egg.

taffer
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 06:40 AM
what do you think about this crazy thought
once a week instead of having...
150g cottage cheese
45g peanut butter

have 5 whole eggs :p basically same macro's (different types of fats tho!)
interesting thought....i think :D

wesaft
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Eggwhites protein is the fastest absorbing protein, and the cassin protein in cottage cheese is the slowest.

But I eat eggs sometimes before bed, just to get a good variation. And it tastes so good :)

Once a week, go for it.

Zerebus
Tue, July 13th, 2004, 10:17 PM
A couple of egg questions:

1. I was under the impression that free range chicken eggs had a higher incidence of listeria. My source for this notion isn't exactly reliable, so I'd like to have it thoroughly debunked or confirmed.

2. I've read a little bit about something called a "Hyper Immune Egg" in Muscle and Fitness. Is there anything to this egg's nutritional benefits, or is the entire idea just bunk? (the idea of the egg is to vaccinate the chicken against such things as E. Coli and Salmanella and then let the chicken pass on the immune system components onto the egg) I have a hard time believing that something like this would digest any differently than a normal egg.

http://www.hyperimmuneegg.org/background.htm