Sponsored Links

View Full Version : franksjourney's picture

franksjourney
Mon, February 2nd, 2004, 04:02 AM
Here are the pictures for this month. If your interested in my work out history, I put a description in the daily journal section here. (http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=424)

In short, these are the pictures for me starting before I started this 90 day program called "Power 90" (4/05/03 - 7/20/03).

Then I had a hard time struggling to maintain my work outs after the work out program was over and my body started to shift back (8/19/03 - 12/26/03).

Near the end of December I started to get my act together and I decided to do make some goals for the next 6 months.

So for now, I'm doing another 90 day program called "Body for Life" and I'm currently on my Day 30 in that program (12/26/03 - 1/31/04).

I discovered this site about 1/6/04 (after it appeared on fark.com) and I was really impressed with John's dedication. This place seems like this the type of community I want to surround myself with so here I am.

Here is my progress so far, internal struggles and all. I have very high expectency that in next coming months I will have more better visual gains. Wish me luck.

[Update 2/29/04]
Here are my latest pictures. It's suppose to be my "Day 60" pictures but they were actually taken on my Day 55 since it's the end of the month. Not much changed in terms of stats except my body fat dropped down from 11.9% to 8.5%. I'm not sure if I'm measuring it correctly, but I like the visable results. I not sure what to expect in the last 30 days. I'm just going to push hard and hope for some modest gains.

[Update 4/26/04]
Well I finished my 90 day Body-for-LIFE program. Here are my before and after pictures. More pictures can be found on my web site. I enjoyed the process very much. This is the best physical shape I have ever been in my life. I own it to the supplements I took and the way I ate and the discipline I had in working out. I have to admit part of the aid was writing in a journal everyday. There's something really powerful in writing and daily commitment. John knows this and I feel this as well. Max-OT for me next week. I look forward to that as well.

Some stats:
Before weight: 145lbs
After wegiht: 140lbs

Before Body Fat: 12.7%
After Body Fat: 7.5%

Other stats are are on my web page if interested.
-Frank

escher
Mon, February 2nd, 2004, 04:13 AM
You've made some great and obviously noticeable gains. Very impressive. And these pictures are before a 90 program you are on? keep us updated!

marcus
Mon, February 2nd, 2004, 04:40 AM
Good job Frank! :tu: You dont look far from achieving you goals.

That happened to me whereby I made some really good gains and got my bf% pretty low and then backed off a bit and gradually let some of the fat back on. It happens so easily. I only put on a couple of kgs and now I'm back to where I was and going strong.

keep it up :db:

Marcus

franksjourney
Mon, February 2nd, 2004, 06:17 PM
You've made some great and obviously noticeable gains. Very impressive. And these pictures are before a 90 program you are on? keep us updated!

Hi Escher,

Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate you feedback. If you look at the pictures the last 2 pictured dated 12/26/03 and 1/31/04 are my current progess in my current 90 day program. I'm at around day 30 now. The others are just from my previous experiences. I saw your thread and I see that your making great progress as well. Keep it up and we'll have a pose down come end of March or June. haha

Take care,
-Frank

franksjourney
Mon, February 2nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
Good job Frank! :tu: You dont look far from achieving you goals.

That happened to me whereby I made some really good gains and got my bf% pretty low and then backed off a bit and gradually let some of the fat back on. It happens so easily. I only put on a couple of kgs and now I'm back to where I was and going strong.

keep it up :db:

Marcus

Hi Marcus, thanks for the input. I was really shocked to see how much I slipped off after my initial progress. But now I'm back on track and honestly, I don't think I've ever been in this good shape in my whole work out life. I'm pretty excited about my future results, I just have to make sure that I can cut down that body fat and make sure I eat right. I think maintaining what you have is actually harder than hitting your goal. You'll have to call forth a different type of motivation. Hopefully we'll both be able to maintain our progress this time around.

Good training to you.
-Frank

John Stone
Mon, February 2nd, 2004, 06:37 PM
Hi Frank,

Great job, excellent detail! (I read your Journal) Even though you slipped up a little, with just a little over a month of hard work you are all shredded up again. Keep working hard and I have no doubt you'll start packing on the muscle!

:tucool:

Evil Hx Coupe
Mon, February 2nd, 2004, 09:06 PM
WoW!! You made alot of progress quick!!! Keep up the good work.

franksjourney
Wed, February 4th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Hi Frank,

Great job, excellent detail! (I read your Journal) Even though you slipped up a little, with just a little over a month of hard work you are all shredded up again. Keep working hard and I have no doubt you'll start packing on the muscle!

Hi John,

Thanks for the inspiring words. I like my results in the last month as well. I have more muscle definition now than before, but my body fat is still a bit higher than before. That's meanly because in January I was still not committed in eating well. But now it's Feburary. This month, it's a different story. I'm telling you man, these pictures drives your will to levels you didn't think was possible. Feels freakin' great. LOL I'm glad to hear your reading my journal. Shoot, I'm just glad to hear SOMEONE's reading it. LOL I look forward in reading your updates everyday as well.

Take care,
-Frank

franksjourney
Wed, February 4th, 2004, 02:26 PM
WoW!! You made alot of progress quick!!! Keep up the good work.

Thanks from the feed back Evil Hx Coupe. I think I made pretty good progress this month too. I can't wait for next month's pictures. It should be great. Plus I'll be getting measurements too, so it should help me pump me up for the month after that. LOL

Take care,
-Frank

Zan
Mon, March 1st, 2004, 09:30 AM
WOW Frank!

Your new pics show some huge progress man. In two months you've made amazing strides. Your dedication (I read your daily updates, they're very good) is inspirational. Congratulations :tu:

BamaDave
Mon, March 1st, 2004, 10:52 AM
That's amazing progress for two months! You have really tightened you waistline. :claplow:

Jimbo
Mon, March 1st, 2004, 11:32 AM
Great update! The difference in definition from last month is amazing.
Where are you going from here (maintenance, bulk ..)?
What was your experience like in the last month? I find that trying to get the last bit of fat off to be very frustrating, and you've done it. Congrats!

Revlis
Mon, March 1st, 2004, 12:08 PM
Good work at cutting the fat! Our very own Bruce Lee ;)

Can you tell me what your diet is like. How many calories etc.

Thanks

HobbesAB
Mon, March 1st, 2004, 12:50 PM
Nicely done. The results are very obvious. Any plans to begin a bulking phase after you're done with the BFL program?

Destiny
Mon, March 1st, 2004, 07:03 PM
Your getting some really nice muscle definition! :claphigh:

franksjourney
Mon, March 1st, 2004, 07:11 PM
WOW Frank!

Your new pics show some huge progress man. In two months you've made amazing strides. Your dedication (I read your daily updates, they're very good) is inspirational. Congratulations :tu:

Hi Zan,

Thanks for the kind words. I glad you enjoy reading my ramblings about my daily workout experience. I enjoy writing them for fun and for helping me stay commitment to this workout program. I hope your training sessions are going well also.

Take care,
-Frank

franksjourney
Mon, March 1st, 2004, 07:38 PM
Great update! The difference in definition from last month is amazing.
Where are you going from here (maintenance, bulk ..)?
What was your experience like in the last month? I find that trying to get the last bit of fat off to be very frustrating, and you've done it. Congrats!

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the positive feedback, they really help me stay focused on my goals when other people can see a difference as well. I'm still going to finish this program. I'm doing the Body for Life program and it's a 90 day program so I have about a month to go. My goal is to cut down on the body fat but I always look to gain strength. After March, I plan on resting for a week and then do the Max-OT or the HST workout routine. During this time, I plan on focusing on getting some bulk. Maybe 10 lbs, but definitely the goal is to increase in strength. For me losing body fat is very challenging. My weight fluctuates a lot during the day. I just happen to take these pictures on a empty stomache. haha I'm still trying to figure a good formula to cut down my body fat but I hesitant to resort to counting calories (although it's proven that method works.. just look a John and many others). For now I still watch what I eat using the "protions" method as describe in the Body for Life program. Lately I've actually been eating more. I'm able to get in 6 meals a day now where's before I only got in 4-5. My weight has not deviated much so I'm glad. I agree with you that cutting down the last bit of body fat is hard. I hope we both stay persistent and stick with it until we reach our ideals.

seeDerekNow
Mon, March 1st, 2004, 11:26 PM
Impressive! You are totally ripped! Looks like you're ready for a nice, clean bulk phase (if that's your goal).

Gohan
Tue, March 2nd, 2004, 12:07 AM

uberzone
Sun, March 14th, 2004, 03:07 AM
great progress bro :tucool: . can you give some insite on what your diet looks like? we have a similar build and i'd love to know what your eating to get those results.

fluke
Sun, March 14th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Hey neighbor,. great job, that six pack is really startin to show.

guava
Sun, March 14th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Wow, killer abs! Great results.

And I love that you "don't diet". I don't diet either, but unfortunately tonight I had a little too much cheesecake. :o

brownguy
Sun, March 14th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Looking good, man. :tu:

franksjourney
Tue, March 16th, 2004, 08:20 PM
great progress bro :tucool: . can you give some insite on what your diet looks like? we have a similar build and i'd love to know what your eating to get those results.

Some people have been inquiring about my diet, so here what I do that works well for me. I don't count calories because I'm not as dedicated as John and others. I use the concept of "portions". Basically a "portion" is the size of your clinched fist. So I have one protion of protein per meal, a protion of carbs and some greens on the side. That is one meal for me a day. I have 5 to 6 small meals a day. And I drink about ten 8 ounce cups of water a day. I try to be strict 6 days a week and on a 7th day, I'm more forgiving and give myself some cheat meals and "bad" food because I don't try deprive my body of cravings or temptations. I just try to have a strong will most of the week and once a week, I give in and let me body deserve it's reward for being so strong with me during the week. I don't really believe in the "all or nothing" approach. I just try to have a very good "batting average." A balanced life is very important to me.

I like bad, fatting food just like everyone else. But I LOVE my pride and inner strength more. And I LOVE life and one of the beautiful things of life is LIVING and to me "living" means trying out different things and savorying it, this includes food. Bad, fattening, oily and buttery food. Junk food, sweet snacks, alcohol. Anything bad, I will still eat it but only in MODERATION. Very Moderate. One in while, this "bad" intake can't hurt me. I honestly believe it's beneficial if anything because I don't deprive myself of my body naturally wants. It's got to the point that most of my "free" days I still eat well because I'm just so use to it. But when Super Bowl Sunday or a birthday party comes, I don't care, I'll eat bad because every day last week and every day next week, I'll be eating good. I still do feel a bit guilty after I eat bad for a day, but I accept it because I rather be "living" then be so strict and stern in my diet that I eventually resent it.

This approach I think is the more "ideal/fantasy" approach. It is HARD. I mean, I struggle with it all the time. Sometimes I over do it in my bad eating and I get depressed and pissed at myself for my lack of determination and discipline. However, it gets easier for me and it only works for me because I am VERY HONEST in my setbacks. When I FUCK UP, I admit it, I'm very hard on myself and I do my best to readjust. I never blame the world or external forces for my mistakes and choices. I don't give myself excuses. If I can't cut my body fat is because I've been eating bad. It's simple as that. That's why I write a journal everyday and reflect on my training. It takes a lot of discipline but I don't like the idea of counting calories and being so anal. So I rather just be anal about my life as a whole than just the food intake. haha.

That was a very long, unstructured thought. All that rambling aside, here's what I had today (or plan to) so you guys can have an idea of how I eat everyday.

Workout: 7:30 am - I ran for my cardio workou today and did abs afterward.

Meal 1 - 8:30 am - Whey Protein, Creatine, Gluatime shake. Green drink and multivitamns. No need to do "Portions" here. It's just a shake. I have a shake everyday after my workout. It's my first meal and probably my best. I have probably 28 ounces of liquid. 12 for my shake, 16 for my green drink. The green drink is to replinish the alkaline in my body. It's a theory I'm trying out. It's suppose to be for my cardio and energy levels. The multivitamns are for my joints and bones. The shake is for my muscle recovery.

10:30 am: I snacked on a orange because I was starting to get hungry. These shakes do nothing for me in terms of fulfilling my hunger.

Meal 2 - 11:30 am - Lunch. Steak flank with potatoes and veggies. This is a serving I have at my work's cafeteria. Normally, the serving on they serve is big enough for me to break it down into 2 meals, so that's what I normally do. I drink about 28 ounces of water during lunch as well.

Yoga: 12:30 pm

Meal 3 - 1:45 pm - Steak flank again left over from Meal 2.

Meal 4 - 3:30 pm - Turkey wraps. This is from my work's cafeteria as well. As you can see I don't plan my meals. I just know generally what is in the protein cataglory, what in carbs, what's in fats. I know very limited things in terms of nutrition but it's enough knowledge for me to get by with my meals. I always look for what's a good source of protein first. So I know Turkey is a good source of protein so I find something with turkey in it. The most simplest thing for me is deli sandwiches. Turkey or chicken breast or roast beef. Sure it's a bit fattening, but I don't care. The meat for protein, the wheat breat for carbs, lettuce and tomatoes and onions for veggies. Blam! Another meal set. Togo's works well for me at times when I need to eat fast food.

I had a banana about 4:30 because my craving are bad these days and I need to snack on something.

Meal 5 - 6:00 pm - More Turkey wraps. Same serving as earlier but broken into 2 again. I just eat until I'm not hungry, not until I'm full or stuffed. If I want to feel full, I'll drink ice cold water. It helps a lot.

6:30 pm - Chinese class.

Meal 6 - Probably 7:50 pm - I bought an perserved deli sandwich today because I knew I had class tonight and I can eat something during break. This deli sandwich is not as clean as the sandwiches I make myself because I don't use mano or mustard. But it's chicken breast (I think) and that's a good source of protein so I'll take it. Plus I plan on going to the coffee house after class so I can study a bit so I won't go home after class.

I might eat a meal 7 today just because I'm a pig. haha. It will depend if I'm hungry when I get home around 11:30 pm tonight. If so, I crack open a can of tuna and eat it with white rice and Crystal hot sauce. Simple, direct, protein and carbs (bad carbs too, not like brown rice), but I killed my hunger and I can sleep better. I don't recommend eating this late, it's way to late to eat. But I need to eat because if I go to bed with a feeling of hunger, I can't sleep. Water does not help me in this case. Oh and if I eat this late, I don't sleep like 1 hour and a half later. So I force myself to stay up even though I shouldn't because I know that my body needs to recover and rest. But that's what happens if I don't plan my meals correctly.

This works for me because I'm too lazy to be anal enough to count calories. I love being flexible but it has it's consquences. Also, the main reason why it works is because I give myself small meals on a consistent basis. Today's meals were very bad. But it's not that bad relative to a hamburger. But it's not super clean neither. I usually end my day by having chicken breast with white rice and salsa every night. But since I have class tonight, I'm not going home to cook. I've been eating chicken breast and salsa almost every night that for the last year or so. I still LOVE it because I'm not picky with my food. As long as I eat and I fuel my body with mega nutriants, I don't care if it's repeatious. It still tastes pretty good to me and I actually look forward to eating it sometimes every night. Btw, I CAN't cook. I just pop it in an "hot air cooker" and it cooks a frozen chicken breast without the need to thaw it. It's the best gadget I have. And it cooks it clean. No need for oil or anything. I just put some salt and pepper on it and eat it with salsa after cooked. One tim is I just can't be hungry.

I save the days of enjoying my food for my "cheat" days. When I go to a really nice resturant, I will enjoy myself and not hold back since I don't go to nice resturants every day. Ofcourse I still look for something in terms of "protein", "carbs" and "veggies/greens". It's a habit for me now. It's ingrained in me because I practice eating like this ALL THE TIME.

This approach works for me not because I have a high metabolism. I really don't. My weight flucuates a lot through the day, but every morning, I've stayed about 140 lbs for the last 5 months. From what I see, I'm still losing body fat. Hopefully my day 90 pictures will reflect that. I really believe that the six pack/losing is gained more in the kitchen more than in the gym. I'm just very greatful that my work's cafeteria has a decent diversity in selection of foods so I don't have to plan my meals every day. However, the discipline to stop eating even when I'm not full and the discipline to buy extra food everyday and the discipline to choose and pick "good" foods with protein, carbs, and greens are mine and I am very proud of this discipline. Hopefully this pride will reflect in my physical body. Otherwise, I WILL count calories just like how other people have successfully done it and had great results. The formula is out there, it's my choice to see if I'm strong enough to apply the knowledge. So far, I am not because I think it more hassle than it's worth and it will be hard to make it a lifestyle. But if I'm ever get stuck and my body fat stops going down, I WILL change my approach. So far I am very lucky I do not need to yet (*KNOCK*KNOCK*KNOCK* my fist on top of my head) ala knocking on wood.

Good training to you all.
-Frank

franksjourney
Wed, April 28th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Quick bump for updated pictures from 4/4/04. The end of my Body-for-LIFE 90 day workout program.

Jimbo
Wed, April 28th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Looking fantastic! Look at those abs shine through :D
So, what are your plans now?

Jimbo
Wed, April 28th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Just saw your journal entry for today. Good luck on your new goals. You've shown that determination yields results. :claplow:

franksjourney
Thu, May 6th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Just saw your journal entry for today. Good luck on your new goals. You've shown that determination yields results. :claplow:

It's either my determination or my subborness huh? LOL. I haven't figured out which one it is yet, but whatever it is, it's getting me to keep moving foward. Thanks for you kind words Jimbo.

Good training to you.
-Frank

FionaMaeve
Thu, May 6th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Wow! What a difference. You look awesome. :)

Rockman
Thu, May 6th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Looking good Frank! Way to go!

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links