Sponsored Links

View Full Version : How many calories should you burn per workout per day?

zerotime
Fri, May 14th, 2004, 06:49 PM
...or at least to maintain a moderate BMR rating? Moderate says 3-5 (if I'm not mistaken) days per week of moderate activity.

Is BMR calories burned PER DAY? What defines moderate activity? If I do 30 minutes of HIIT in the AM, that's only 300 or so calories burned (shown by my HRM). Of course, it's not 100% accurate, but it's somewhere around there.

On days I don't do HIIT in the AM, I lift. I'm not exactly sure what I burn when I lift after 45 mins avg (haven't worn my HRM to the gym yet), so it's kinda hard to guess.

For sake of argument, let's just say I do HIIT every single say for 30 minutes and burn around 300 calories. Based on BMR, that's just under the "Lightly Active" column for me in terms of calories burned. Sedentary + 300 calories burned.. almost, but not quite at Light.

Because I worked out, does my body actually continue to burn even MORE calories? I know it's hard to give a definite answer as everyone is different, but if that's the case, how much more does it burn? Twice as much? Three times as much?

If I want to lost 2 lbs a week, then I'd have to burn an extra 1000 cals a day.. or 7000 calories per week. Burning 1000 calories a workout per day is no easy task, however... the BMR for Moderate (again, 3-5 days of moderate activity) shows this level for me to be exactly 1000 calories above what I normally eat. I just have a hard time believing that even if I work out 30 mins each and every day that I'll hit that "1000 calories burned" mark that it claims I'll hit.

JeremyLikness
Fri, May 14th, 2004, 10:39 PM
This is an example of worrying too much about the math, when it is never going to come close to the real world. 300 calories for 30 minutes of HIIT? WOW. I burn 500 calories in 20 minutes ... I must really bust tail compared to you, right? Actually, you can go from one machine to another and get a variance of 100 - 200 calories per readout.

The fact is, how much are you losing now? That is what to start with. If you are consistent with nutrition and training, then stop worrying about splitting hairs with the math. Let your body tell you. Are you not gaining or losing? Then you are at equilibrium. Drop 500 calories a day to lose a pound of fat. Are you already losing a pound? Drop another 500 calories or burn 500 more or drop 250 calories and burn 250 more and drop another pound. Are you gaining a pound? Then create a 1000 calorie deficit.

Or, keep it really simple. If you're not seeing your goals, slowly trim down portion sizes without even worrying about the calories. Increase your exercise. You'll lose the fat.

My metabolism can change by 400 calories per day simply from chaning the foods I eat or my level of stress. The equations are NOT the answer.

Jeremy

Pico
Sat, May 15th, 2004, 12:25 AM
This is an example of worrying too much about the math, when it is never going to come close to the real world. 300 calories for 30 minutes of HIIT? WOW. I burn 500 calories in 20 minutes ... I must really bust tail compared to you, right? Actually, you can go from one machine to another and get a variance of 100 - 200 calories per readout.

The fact is, how much are you losing now? That is what to start with. If you are consistent with nutrition and training, then stop worrying about splitting hairs with the math. Let your body tell you. Are you not gaining or losing? Then you are at equilibrium. Drop 500 calories a day to lose a pound of fat. Are you already losing a pound? Drop another 500 calories or burn 500 more or drop 250 calories and burn 250 more and drop another pound. Are you gaining a pound? Then create a 1000 calorie deficit.

Or, keep it really simple. If you're not seeing your goals, slowly trim down portion sizes without even worrying about the calories. Increase your exercise. You'll lose the fat.

My metabolism can change by 400 calories per day simply from chaning the foods I eat or my level of stress. The equations are NOT the answer.

JeremyWhat do you think the max cardio per day you should do? I was going to do once in the morning and once in the evening. :confused:

benca1
Sat, May 15th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Great posts. The first one covered my questions and the second one affirmed my suspicions!

I guess that's what you do, do the best you can with the math, and wait each week to see where you're at. Shit. One week at a time.. what more can one do? I guess you need to constantly measure and track so you can track your calores, your workouts, and your weight.

I only eat my BMR in calories, though I work out like an animal 6 days a week.. I'll see where I am in one week!

JeremyLikness
Sat, May 15th, 2004, 02:25 AM
What do you think the max cardio per day you should do? I was going to do once in the morning and once in the evening. :confused:

Should do for what?

Personally, I'd rather do NO cardio and eat clean. If my nutrition starts to slip, more cardio. I keep weight training fairly consistent, and then manipulate cardio based on my needs. For example, if I'm dropping fat at 2000 calories then all is well. If my calories drop to 1400, then I start adding some extra cardio in order to allow me to eat more ... i.e. I might add 400 calories of cardio to get back up to the 1800 range or thereabouts.

What type of cardio? It depends. In the fall I love to run on mountain trails so I do long jogs on the weekend and HIIT during the week. Recently, now that I left my full time job and am in business for myself, I like to go on long walks through the neighborhood with my wife, then finish up with 20 minutes of a slow jog at an incline on the treadmill. I just stay active, recover, repeat ...

Jeremy

Pico
Sat, May 15th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Should do for what?

Personally, I'd rather do NO cardio and eat clean. If my nutrition starts to slip, more cardio. I keep weight training fairly consistent, and then manipulate cardio based on my needs. For example, if I'm dropping fat at 2000 calories then all is well. If my calories drop to 1400, then I start adding some extra cardio in order to allow me to eat more ... i.e. I might add 400 calories of cardio to get back up to the 1800 range or thereabouts.

What type of cardio? It depends. In the fall I love to run on mountain trails so I do long jogs on the weekend and HIIT during the week. Recently, now that I left my full time job and am in business for myself, I like to go on long walks through the neighborhood with my wife, then finish up with 20 minutes of a slow jog at an incline on the treadmill. I just stay active, recover, repeat ...

JeremyIf I dont do cardio I will have to eat less, thats harder :p

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links