Sponsored Links

View Full Version : Flaxseed Oil

tkane
Wed, January 28th, 2004, 01:32 PM
I went to GNC last night to purchase my first jar of Whey Protein. I explained to the clerk how I was starting a workout and healthy eating program so he recommended I buy some Flaxseed Oil caplets. He said with the increase in Protein it would act as a fiber but was also loaded with Omega3 and Omega6.

I am very new to this I did purchase the flaxseed but wanted to make sure it was a smart choice.

I'm lifting 3 days a week and running on the treadmill 5 days a week. I have really changed my diet keeping away from Sat fats and carbs. (i'm a walking carb). I snake on the Zone Perfect bars so I thinking i'm getting enough carbs and proteins.. Another thing I guess I need to keep to around 2000 calories a day but it's hard. I eat Salad for lunch with a can of tuna and lowfat or fat free dressing. How do I know about how many calories that is. I don't want to under eat.. :eat:

CattleProd
Wed, January 28th, 2004, 01:40 PM
I picked up an oil supplement from Wal-Mart. It's actually a blend of Flaxseed, borage, fish, and it seems like one other kind of oil.

Supposed to be good for you!

-CP

PxT
Wed, January 28th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Flaxseed oil can be good if you don't eat a lot of seafood. If you eat fish at least once a week then you are probably getting enough omega's already. If you do decide to take it as a supplement I would recommend the oil form instead of the pills for a couple reasons: flaxseed will turn rancid relatively quickly, the caplets are usually not refrigerated when you buy them which will decrease their shelf life. It is also almost impossible to tell if they have already gone bad. Second you usually need to pop 8-10 pills a day just to get the same amount of omegas that you would in 1tbsp of the oil form. That can be quite a hassle -- the liquid form can go on salads, in shakes, taken straight, etc. Quick and easy.

daveo
Wed, January 28th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Another thing I guess I need to keep to around 2000 calories a day but it's hard. I eat Salad for lunch with a can of tuna and lowfat or fat free dressing. How do I know about how many calories that is. I don't want to under eat.. :eat:

For calorie counting, I found it's easiest to make up days of food ahead of time in a spreadsheet (http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showpost.php?p=2128&postcount=1). Obviously your milage will vary. If that's not useful at all, I welcome your feedback :nod:

What brand of oil did you get? The kind in my spreadsheet is OK, but it's a little hard going down :( I've read that ground up flax seed is just as good (if not better - it's still got the fiber!) and it's cheaper because you can typically buy it in bulk. As an example, my local grocery store sells it for $0.99/lb -- that beats the heck ouf of an $8 bottle!

Jonesy
Wed, January 28th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Yes, flax is a good thing to take. Although I've always taken it in liquod form, so I don't know about caplets. Also, try finding somewhere else to get your supplimants. GNC is the biggest rip off! I have a friend that actually worked there. We go to a place that sell it's products cheaper then he was gettin at GNC with his employee discount! Tell me that's not a joke!!

tkane
Wed, January 28th, 2004, 01:44 PM
What brand of oil did you get?

I bought the GNC brand in caplet form for $8.99

Jonesy
Wed, January 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM
I buy a brand called Udo's. It's a little more expensive, but I personally feel that it is worth it.

Glamdring
Wed, January 28th, 2004, 02:44 PM
I eat roughly 6oz of tuna a day. Would I still want to take flax oil? I've picked it up and stared at it on several occasions, but have never actually taken the plunge.

I know it's a great source of fat in liquid form and that's the main reason I see myself actually taking it.

zamboni
Wed, January 28th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Flaxseed oil does not act like a fiber. For one thing, fibers are carbs and for the most part aren't digested by the body. Flaxseed oil is fat, plain and simple, and your body burns it pretty much just like all the other fat out there. However, your EFA's have a host of other health benefits that most other fats don't have, so its still well worth taking

The only way flax acts as a fiber is that if you take enough, it acts like a laxative. Also, if you eat the raw flax seeds, they'll give you plenty of fiber, but that's most a result of the seed material rather then the oil

Also, GNC probably isn't your best place to shop. For one thing, I would say a majority of my ex-coworkers had no qualms about making stuff up on the spot if they thought it would help them sell something. Not lies per se, more like half truths. Also, their prices suck :)

zamboni
Wed, January 28th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Liquid flax is the most concentrated as well as the cheapest. Has a "pleasant nutty flavor."

If by "pleasant nutty flavor" I meant vomit, then yes.

Seriously, its not to bad if you mix it in with other stuff or just suck down a spoonful like a champ

PxT
Thu, January 29th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Personally I don't think the taste is that bad. I use 100% organic flax (forget the exact brand name at the moment), don't know if it is any better or worse tasting than other brands. I could see how some people might not like it straight though... at least you can dump it in a shake or something and hardly notice it. Just don't cook with it as that destroys the beneficial qualities.

djerickd
Thu, February 12th, 2004, 09:11 PM
FYI - The flax they had at my local grocery store is kept refrigerated

zamboni
Thu, February 12th, 2004, 11:22 PM
GNC is the biggest rip off! I have a friend that actually worked there. We go to a place that sell it's products cheaper then he was gettin at GNC with his employee discount! Tell me that's not a joke!!

Okay, its not a joke

Per
Sat, February 14th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Hi

I prefer the crushed seeds you can get in health stores. Not expensive at all (and that is in Norway were 'everything' is expensive - the cheapest whey protein powder I found was equivalent to 36 USD for 2 lbs, and the Optimum brand even more expensive :mad: ). I sprinkle a tablespoon of the seeds over my oatmeal porridge, and it's not bad at all :eat:

I read somewhere that seed is the best source for flax seed oil because they also contain a lot of antioxidants that keep the oil from going rancid. I can't document the allegation, but it sounds likely to me ...

-Per

Jingo
Sat, February 14th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I eat roughly 6oz of tuna a day. Would I still want to take flax oil? I've picked it up and stared at it on several occasions, but have never actually taken the plunge.

I know it's a great source of fat in liquid form and that's the main reason I see myself actually taking it.

Tuna doesn't contain omega 3/6's, for that you need oily fish like salmon, pilchards and many others, next time you're in the super market check some labels, if it's anything like over here anytrhing with omega 3/6 in it has it plastered all over the label as it's a big selling point right now.

Ansett
Sat, February 14th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Here's a link to the American Heart Association's info on Omega 3's. If your tuna is albacore tuna, it's on the list.
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4632

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links