Sponsored Links

View Full Version : what's lurking in YOUR Cheerios?...

HevyMetal
Fri, July 6th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Well....after certain people here gave Cheerios the thumb's-up for acceptable nutrition I decided to read the label on a box I have here (my wife has 'em every day for brekky....I eat oatmeal) to see what's in it....

By list of ingredients from first to last:-

Whole Grain Oats
Modified Corn Starch :eek:
Sugar :eek:
Salt :whistle:
Trisodium Phosphate :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Calcium carbonate....have no idea what this is
Monoglycerides.............ditto
Annatto....so that's where my brother's Italian girlfriend ended up when she mysteriously disappeared
Tocepherols..:tucool:
Wheat starch...:eek:

Along with fortified vitamins.

TRISODIUM PHOSPHATE! fer cryin' out loud!!!:lol: I use this stuff to clean the outside masonry and the porch..I have a carton of it in the basement....It's been an industrial strength cleaner available for years.

MODIFIED CORN STARCH..#2 on the list. We used to use this stuff to powder the inside of our diving wet suits so they would go on easier.
BUT....a lot of people couldn't use it because it gave them Hives. Starches are fast-burning Carbs...sure you want this Carb for breakfast?????

Didn't know Trisodium Phosphate was edible..If it is you'll have the cleanest sphincter on the block.:moon:

d2mini
Fri, July 6th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Didn't know Trisodium Phosphate was edible..If it is you'll have the cleanest sphincter on the block.:moon:

:lol:

:doh:

:cry:

mattback
Sat, July 7th, 2007, 02:32 AM
i prefer general mills Fiber One

this stuff rocks for real. i get anacondas in my toilet every morning.

ingredients:

wheat (whole grain wheat bran) , corn bran, corn starch, calcium carbonate, guar gum, color added, cellulose gum, salt, baking soda, corn oil, aspartame, zinc and iron, vitamin c, a b vitamin, bitamin b6, vitamin b12, folic acid, vitamin b2, vitamin e (mixed tocopherols), added to preserve freshness

serving size: 1/2 cup (30g)
calories 50
total fat 1g
sodium 105mg
potassium 180mg
total carbohydrates 14g
dietary fiber 14g
soluble fiber 1g
sugars 0g
other carbohydrate 11g
protein 2g

this stuff + some wheat germ = winner

Gordo
Sat, July 7th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Post shredded wheat with bran is (imo) your best choice.

Ingredients: WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT AND WHEAT BRAN. TO PRESERVE THE NATURAL WHEAT FLAVOR, BHT IS ADDED TO THE PACKAGING MATERIAL.

That's it.... good, if you're looking for a cereal. Kicks cheerios ass up and down the block.

Robert2006
Sat, July 7th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Calcium carbonate is chalk. You know like those fancy bottled waters :lol:

I like Quaker harvest crunch. May not be perfect but then I need a treat.

Gordo
Sat, July 7th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Calcium carbonate is chalk. You know like those fancy bottled waters :lol:

It's also used to treat calcium deficiencies.

Colin.
Sat, July 7th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I love cereals, though since I started my workout program I have cut cheerios in place of whole grain bagels.

My thing with cereals is that I am sure there are a lot of great, clean and healthy ones out there- but I could never afford it. I see them at certain places, even local grocery store, 500g, skinny box for something insane like 6.99.

What's the word on having Granola for breakfast? I Can't seem to find nutritional data for granola online. I am talking about the stuff you buy in bulk, the straight-up, no sugar added, no honey, no frills raw granola.

zenpharaohs
Sat, July 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Calcium carbonate....have no idea what this is

It's chalk.

Robert2006
Sat, July 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM

I bet they are using it to adjust pH. Maybe the other stuff varies during the year. Or maybe the process turns them acidic.

Robert2006
Sat, July 7th, 2007, 10:48 AM
My thing with cereals is that I am sure there are a lot of great, clean and healthy ones out there- but I could never afford it. I see them at certain places, even local grocery store, 500g, skinny box for something insane like 6.99.

What's the word on having Granola for breakfast? I Can't seem to find nutritional data for granola online. I am talking about the stuff you buy in bulk, the straight-up, no sugar added, no honey, no frills raw granola.

You need to compare apples to apples. Some thing like the Quaker stuff I get seems expensive. It's a little box with a highish price. But the box is heavy and you don't eat a great deal of it. The bonus the local Fortinos has big bulk boxes for a fairly reasonable price. But if you just put the box next to one of those jumbo boxes of corn flakes you'll think it's a rip off. But the corn flake box seems to be mostly air.

I think the harvest crunch I get is basically oat granola. Only way to know if it's good is to check the list of what's in it. Just because it's in bulk doesn't mean they haven't added a bunch of things to make it taste "good" or to make it keep.

guava
Sat, July 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I love cereals, though since I started my workout program I have cut cheerios in place of whole grain bagels.

What's the word on having Granola for breakfast? I Can't seem to find nutritional data for granola online. I am talking about the stuff you buy in bulk, the straight-up, no sugar added, no honey, no frills raw granola.I'd say Cheerios are likely a smarter choice than whole grain bagels. I think they would be higher in fibre, and probably taste more filling for the equivalent calorie serving. There aren't many boxed cereals cleaner than Cheerios. Post Shredded Wheat for sure is one of my favorites, plus Kellogg's All Bran or Raisin Bran.

Quaker Harvest Crunch has a LOT of sugar and fat in it. It is so extremely calorie dense that I've quit eating it.

Ten Foods You Should Never Eat (http://www.domesticgear.com/articles/tenfoods.html) and
Cereals Cannot Be Serious (http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/cereals_press.htm)

I don't think the granola you buy in bulk would be sugar free and fat free; otherwise it would be just plain oats, which I'd say would be a good choice, mixed with a few nuts and seeds and fresh fruit. If you like something a little more crunchy and more similar to the commercial variety, you can make it yourself. My recipe uses mashed bananas and dates as the sugar source, and canola oil as the fat. It ends up being much cheaper, and the ingredients are less processed.

When I do buy Cheerios, I wait for it to go on sale for about $4 (Canadian) for a 1 kg box. The Raisin Bran I just bought was $1.67 for 475 g.

kakizaki
Sat, July 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
What's lurking in my cheerios? 2 scoops of protein powder and a little milk. Mmmm...chocolate-flavored cheerios. Sure it's got a few ingredients I can't even spell, but other cereals have it much worse.

Glaive
Sat, July 7th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Calcium Carbonate is a horrible way to treat a calcium deficiency. Unlike other forms of calcium, Calcium Carbonate is primarily simply going to create lots of bicarbonate, which is nice for neutralizing acid but not particularly helpful for calcium issues. Other chemical forms of calcium are better for pure calcium supplementation purposes.

Also, for the record, whether you consider them healthy or not, Cheerios are one of the few mass-market cereals that are genuinely all natural and contain no artificial or overly processed ingredients.

Original Cheerios actually changed their formula many years back so Whole Foods Market would carry them, although admittedly they didn't have to make too many changes.

Don't make the mistake of thinking "weird science-sounding chemical name = horrible artificial substance." Most people would freak out if they saw "isoleucine" listed on an ingredient list, even though it's an amino acid necessary for life.

Personally, I don't really eat any cereals simply because they're hard to fit into my diet -- too many carbohydrates with not much else useful compared to other things I can have. When I'm bulking, I'm far more likely to have some oats.

HevyMetal
Sun, July 8th, 2007, 11:43 AM
While casting a blind eye to the fact that corn starch is the second biggest ingredient in Cheerios...here's the skinny on Trisodium Phosphate...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate

Read down to where it says not to use it for cleaning bathrooms because it corrodes metal...

leftyx
Sun, July 8th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Breakfasts are fairly regular. Either, Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, Quaker Old Fashioned Oats, or Egg Beaters and Boca Links. Is that so terrible? Is that what is holding me back from being a physical specimen of wonder? I dunno.

Robert2006
Sun, July 8th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Read down to where it says not to use it for cleaning bathrooms because it corrodes metal...

Lots of things don't play well with metal. I bet stomach acid doesn't. For that mater oxygen when you mix it with iron leads to rust.

I once saw a MSDS [material safety data sheet ] for water. Yup water can be dangerous if you drink too much of it. I think they called it drowning? But at least it wasn't a fire hazard :lol:

HevyMetal
Sun, July 8th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Leftyx...If all you are having for breakfast is a bowl of Shredded Wheat or Cheerios on many days, I would say that is holding you back some.

Robert2006.....I defy you to drown by drinking too much water. More likely you'll die from Hyponotremia first.Cheerios themselves are not a fire hazard....its' the fine dust in the bottom of the package that is explosive. Sort of like Coal dust which when ignited has sunk more than one ship in the past..

Be careful not to shake the empty Cheerios container into the under-counter waste container and then turn on the gas stove immediately after. Houses have been blown to pieces doing this.

betastas
Sun, July 8th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Be careful not to shake the empty Cheerios container into the under-counter waste container and then turn on the gas stove immediately after. Houses have been blown to pieces doing this.

Really? When?

HevyMetal
Sun, July 8th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Never. This is humor.

kakizaki
Sun, July 8th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'd be more afraid of the sugar. Did you know that it has a reputation for destroying car engines when you put it in fuel tanks? Ok, I'm being facetious here - sorry :o.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, but isn't the ingredient in Cheerios tripotassium phosphate? I don't know if it's any better or worse than trisodium phosphate though. I just don't really stress over the fact that Cheerios is not the perfect food.

Robert2006
Sun, July 8th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I know Heavy is joking but dust is dangerous. I know of one old furniture factory that had the walls tied to the metal girders with chains. This way if the dust explode the ways wouldn't fly too far away :eek:

I always wonder if I should get something like that for my house :lol:

guava
Sun, July 8th, 2007, 02:16 PM
While casting a blind eye to the fact that corn starch is the second biggest ingredient in Cheerios...

So what if it's the second ingredient? Ingredients are listed in order of predominance by weight, but it doesn't give you much of an idea what quantity per serving you're getting of a particular ingredient.

Nutritionists have recommended to people not to buy breakfast cereals with sugar as the first or second ingredient, so manufacturers have gotten smart, and have started using two or three different types of sweetener (eg. evaporated cane juice, brown rice syrup, honey (http://www.kashi.com/ourfood/GOLEAN/GOLEANCrunch/Default.aspx)) so that they can appear lower down on the ingredient list. :rolleyes:

Cheerios main ingrediet is Whole Grain Oats. Based on the nutrition panel, I can guess that the other things in the ingredient list occur in very small quantities. I don't think Cheerios are the perfect food, but miniscule quantities of unfamiliar-sounding ingredients don't suddenly turn a healthy food into a unhealthy one. If you had an ingredient list of what happens to your breakfast when you sprinkle half a packet of Splenda, or add a scoop of protein powder (http://www.newstarget.com/001522.html) to your bowl of oatmeal, you'd end up with something just as dubious-sounding.

hankhill
Mon, July 9th, 2007, 01:27 AM
i prefer general mills Fiber One

this stuff rocks for real. i get anacondas in my toilet every morning.

ingredients:

aspartame

:(

I try to avoid that stuff. I can't stand the taste and too many
signs point to problems it can cause in the body. When I have
to buy diet, I get Splenda products.

HevyMetal
Wed, July 11th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Guava..right now I'm using 100% Whey Isolate Plain along with Stevia in my oatmeal.

I will not eat Cheerios unless I'm forced to.

Just because it's one of the best bad cereals out there does not justify using it IMO.

:nope:

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links