Sponsored Links

View Full Version : 60 year old woman trying to lose weight - questions

woeisemma
Mon, April 12th, 2004, 12:19 AM
My b/f's mom is 60 years old, about 5'3, 130. She is always on a diet, does jazzercise and walks in the mall for her exercise. Today she told me she ate 1000 cals a day for a week and didn't lose any weight. She was the first to notice my weightloss so she talks to me about her struggles with losing weight. Since her DR told her to up her fiber to 35 grams a day, she says she gained 10 lbs. Tonight I showed her fitday, encouraged her to get a heartrate monitor, and talked about the food she eats, etc. My question is: Is it the added fiber that caused her to gain 10 lbs or do you think it was something else..like her eating or lack of exercising in her THR zone? I'm confused because I thought since fiber supresses your appetite, she would have lost 10 lbs.

Fudgam
Mon, April 12th, 2004, 12:23 AM
What was she eating to get that extra fiber?

woeisemma
Mon, April 12th, 2004, 01:26 AM
I think she was drinking Metamucil or something like that. I'm not sure what she was eating..I should have asked.What was she eating to get that extra fiber?

guava
Mon, April 12th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Any 60 year old I know would be thrilled to weigh 130 pounds. It's very hard to keep off the weight as you age because the metabolism slows down.

Does she lift weights? For every pound of muscle on your body, it takes 50 calories a day to maintain it, so lifting weights is a great idea for her.

Chopaholic
Mon, April 12th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Does she lift weights? For every pound of muscle on your body, it takes 50 calories a day to maintain it, so lifting weights is a great idea for her.

Lifting is also weight-bearing exercise (shocking :D), so it will also help her ward off osteoporisis (sp, sorry).

I'm surprised by the 10 lbs she says she gained. Did you talk with her about normal weight fluctuation and how living and dying by the scale is bad idea?

Hmmm... that fiber's an odd one. :confused:

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links