View Full Version : Difference between white tuna and albacore tuna?

Master Moron
Thu, November 30th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Is there any significant difference between white tuna and albacore tuna?

Bud the C.H.U.D.
Thu, November 30th, 2006, 06:34 PM
About a buck a can (*rimshot*). :lol:

Seriously though, I gave albacore a try, and was relieved to find that it didn't taste hugely different than chunk light (I always eat Chicken of the Sea). Some improvement in taste/texture, sure. If you're eating it straight out of the can and can afford it, it might be worth your $$$.

I'm broke, though, and I add lemon juice, Dijon mustard, 1 Tbsp sweet pickle relish and 1 teaspoon mayo (yes, whole, sinful, real mayonnaise :spank:), to mine so it's not really worth it to me.

Nutritionally, there's no difference whatsoever that I can recall from the label. 6.5 oz of pure canned fish protein is 6.5 oz of pure canned fish protein.

edit: Oh, you were asking about between white and albacore, not light. That I don't know. I have seen cans that say "White Albacore", though, so I'd assume there's no difference. Plus alba is Latin for "white", so that's another clue that they might be the same.....yes, I am wearing my nerd hat right now.

JoeSchmo
Thu, November 30th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Is there any significant difference between white tuna and albacore tuna?

Albacore is higher in omega-3 fatty acids, but it also tends to have higher concentrations of mercury.

1FastGTX
Thu, November 30th, 2006, 07:51 PM
The biggest difference I know is this: albacore tastes much worse. :)

Master Moron
Fri, December 1st, 2006, 01:44 AM
edit: Oh, you were asking about between white and albacore, not light. That I don't know. I have seen cans that say "White Albacore", though, so I'd assume there's no difference. Plus alba is Latin for "white", so that's another clue that they might be the same.....yes, I am wearing my nerd hat right now.

Hmmmm...looking at the cans in my cupboard, one says Chunk Light tuna, the other says Solid White Albacore. Sorry if I confused you. I think I actually confused myself too. I really should have read the cans BEFORE I posted. Anyway, the Chunk Light one is the darker, pinkish one. I personally think the Chunk Light one tastes better. I never actually noticed that there was a price difference.

Which kind do they normally use in sandwich shops like Subway?

Gordo
Fri, December 1st, 2006, 06:27 AM
Chunk Light is usually skipjack, cheaper, just as good for you as a protein source and contains less potential for mercury since they fish younger skipjack and it's a smaller tuna species overall.

Which kind do they normally use in sandwich shops like Subway?

Since they survive based on profit, I would have to guess chunk light