Sponsored Links

View Full Version : Rubber mat on top of carpet?

funsocaltiger
Mon, August 28th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Hey guys,

Has anyone used the heavy 1/4-1/2" rubber matting on top of carpet? I have a brand new house and currently have the gym in the garage on rubber flooring but was thinking about moving it all inside to the A/C and away from the flies (dog in the garage, etc).

Are there any problems/concerns with laying the rubber on my carpet?

The carpet padding I have seems relatively firm so hopefully the rubber flexing wont be a problem? Also, what about the black rubber marking up the carpet or moisture under the rubber causing mold?

Laurence

digitalnebula
Mon, August 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I have my gym set up in my finished basement.

I used horse-stall mats that are about 1" thick on top of my carpet.
It works fine, but I can't say that I have pulled up the mats recently to see if the carpet is damaged.

MarkY
Mon, August 28th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I put horse trailer mats on my carpet but I put a couple of old beach towels between the mats and the carpet. Didn't know if they would stain. I haven't lifted them up so I don't know if it has worked.

Omaha
Mon, August 28th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Before I could get back to the store and pick up the last pack or two of foam interlocking mats to cover the rest of the area I use in my basement (nothing but concrete), I used a large throw down rug under the foam mats to cover more of the cold floor.

I took it up after a few weeks because it was sliding all over the place. It wasn't down long enough to cause any damage if it even would have, but it is a little unstable depending on the type of mats, and the type of carpet.

As long as you don't spill anything on the mats and let it run down into the carpet and set I couldn't see it getting moldy or anything like that. Watch your water if you drink anything during workouts.

You might have some impacted areas from the mats, but nothing any piece of furniture wouldn't do to the carpet already. I would suggest pulling it up every now and again to vacuum, but other than that, you should be good.

cburfield
Sat, September 2nd, 2006, 07:07 PM
My gym is in a "bonus room" over my garage, which is fully carpeted. I've got 4x6 heavy rubber mats (maybe 3/8 inches thick) over cut pile carpet on a heavy pad. No probs whatsoever w/ damage, carpet is still fine (I actually just re-arranged some equipment and rotated my squat rack & these mats today, so I can verify!).

The only issue is that the mats don't stay put very well - e.g. I've got them up against one another to form a 6 x 8 space, with the rack resting solely on one mat. The second one creeps away from the first over the course of a workout. A bit of a minor annoyance, but not enough to force me into a creative solution...

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links