Sponsored Links

View Full Version : Cottage Cheese Before Bed?

mwaren
Tue, May 23rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
I've looked through the forums and have found various posts both for and against the use of dairy. What is the general concensus of eating cottage cheese as your last meal since it's dairy/protein? I am in the middle of a cut and some nights (when I feel like I need a small snack) I'll eat 1/2 cup and it really satisfies me, however, I don't want to be sabotaging my diet. Can I get some reasons behind the cottage cheese at night suggestion as I've read in some of the forum postings? Also, how much do others eat that do use it as their last meal of the day? Just wondering.

Stats
39 y/o
9%

Skoorb
Tue, May 23rd, 2006, 05:56 PM
There is no general consensus, but I've made liberal use of cottage cheese in the past. Currently the only dairy I have is a cup of milk on my cereal, but not because I'm scared of dairy. I think the anti-dairy kick is in great part unfounded.

DLiquid
Tue, May 23rd, 2006, 05:59 PM
I'm also interested in the answer to this. Lately I've been combining 1/2 C cottage cheese with an apple or half a pear. This is giving me some sugar carbs right before I go to bed. Is this a no no if you're cutting? It just tastes so much better that way.

Andrew
Tue, May 23rd, 2006, 06:00 PM
The argument for cottage cheese before bed is that it contains mainly casein protein, which is slow digesting (~7 hours), preventing catabolism during the nightly fast.

I don't think there are any real problems with dairy intake unless you are either A) directly before a bodybuilding contest and at 3-4% body fat, or B) lactose intolerant.

mastover
Tue, May 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
I've looked through the forums and have found various posts both for and against the use of dairy. What is the general concensus of eating cottage cheese as your last meal since it's dairy/protein? I am in the middle of a cut and some nights (when I feel like I need a small snack) I'll eat 1/2 cup and it really satisfies me, however, I don't want to be sabotaging my diet. Can I get some reasons behind the cottage cheese at night suggestion as I've read in some of the forum postings? Also, how much do others eat that do use it as their last meal of the day? Just wondering.

Stats
39 y/o
9%

The reasoning for having it pre-bed is because of its casein based protein which in theory, is slower digesting, providing a trickle effect in regards to the overnight fast and protein absorption. Cottage cheese is also high in the anti-catabolic amino acid L-Glutamine.

If you eat dairy (I don't) it would be a good choice for a final meal. Personally, I'd rather opt for my famous peanut butter/egg white omelettes, or a slow digesting protein powder blend which has some healthy fats included.

During a lean mass gain period, I go more with steak and eggs :eat:

mwaren
Tue, May 23rd, 2006, 07:18 PM
Ok,

So cottage cheese is a slow digesting protein that will ward off nighttime catabolism of the muscles. Any idea how much of it you need to eat in order to get the muscle saving qualities?

Coachese
Tue, May 23rd, 2006, 07:24 PM
Ok,

So cottage cheese is a slow digesting protein that will ward off nighttime catabolism of the muscles. Any idea how much of it you need to eat in order to get the muscle saving qualities?

Start with one cup.

tennisball
Tue, May 23rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
The reasoning for having it pre-bed is because of its casein based protein which in theory, is slower digesting, providing a trickle effect in regards to the overnight fast and protein absorption. Cottage cheese is also high in the anti-catabolic amino acid L-Glutamine.

Mast- I believe L-Glutamine is the most prevalent amino acid found in milk products, if not in most protein sources. I also believe that most amino acids have some "anti-catabolic" effects, not just Glutamine.

Timbermiko
Wed, May 24th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Ive incorporated 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese with a tablespoon of slivered almonds
before bed and have been leaning up nicely:)

MarkY
Wed, May 24th, 2006, 03:02 AM
When I was cutting, I would have 3 tablespoons of cottage cheese mixed with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and one scoop of whey about an hour before bed.

I've since eliminated the protein and just mix it with peanut butter. I have a hard time putting cottage cheese down by itself. Nasty stuff.

mastover
Wed, May 24th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Mast- I believe L-Glutamine is the most prevalent amino acid found in milk products, if not in most protein sources. I also believe that most amino acids have some "anti-catabolic" effects, not just Glutamine.

No doubt. I believe amino's can be both anti-catabolic and anabolic, depending on when they're taken. A slow digesting protein such as casein will slow down their release, thus making them more anti-catabolic.

Bcaa's, glutamine, l-arginine, hmb, etc., taken in pure form centered around a training session, unhindered by any milk based product (except for whey, isolate, hydrolysate) will provide more of an "anabolic" effect.

Master Moron
Thu, May 25th, 2006, 04:57 PM
When I was cutting, I would have 3 tablespoons of cottage cheese mixed with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and one scoop of whey about an hour before bed.

I've since eliminated the protein and just mix it with peanut butter. I have a hard time putting cottage cheese down by itself. Nasty stuff.

I've noticed that cottage cheese tends to vary a lot based on the different brands, freshness, and even where you put it in the refrigerator. I notice that when I put my cottage cheese near the back of the fridge it tends to taste nasty. I'm guessing the back is colder and it ends up freezing and later defrosting, which gives it a nasty taste.

airila
Fri, May 26th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I like the whipped cottage cheese 1%. It's creamier and the texture isn't as "wet" as regular cottage cheese. Mix with a packet of splenda and a dash of cinnimon and you've got yourself a bedtime treat!

Devery
Sat, May 27th, 2006, 03:40 PM
My cottage cheese is normally a mid-morning or afternoon snack with some type of fruit. Before bed, I have everything from whole wheat cereal & peanut butter to lowfat vanilla ice cream with strawberries, or some lowfat cheddar cheese on whole wheat bread in the microwave for 30 seconds :eat:

Devery
Sat, May 27th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Tonight's before bed snack was 2 kiwis and 5 pieces of roast beef.:eat:

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links